What's new

Favorite cold remedy.

It seems I've caught the dreaded "spring cold". You know the one.

Starts with a sore throat one morning, day two is a sinus revolt, etc. My chest feels congested but all raspy and dry at the same time. Uggh.

The best part is that SWMBO and I are taking a weekend road trip to see Jeff Beck this coming Sunday. That means I have 6 days to beat this back to an acceptable level and enjoy my (much needed) mini vacation.

What do you guys like to take in this situation? I'm a Ny-Quil guy at night and usually Day-Quil during the day. I don't have any allergies, and I don't mind trying something new.

I took the day off today to rest and recover, so I'm heading to the store this afternoon for some supplies. What you you all think?

seriously you'll laugh, but Heated orange Gatorade (in the microwave) and tussin (robotussin) Greatest combo ever!

My reasons:

Gatorade = Electrolytes

Tussin = Cures anything

Gin, Honey, Lemon, Boiling Water.
Get really warm, sweat it out and sleep.

Although it's either that or NyQuill. I do not recommend mixing.

Lots of water including a fair measure of hot water w/fresh squeezed lemon. If you can tolerate it, a Neti pot w/tepid temp salt water (salt packs included in the kits available at some pharmacies). If not a saline based nose spray.

Pain reliever of choice as required. Rest. Don't short change your sleep. If you SWMBO doesn't object, the mentholated rub on the chest mentioned above can be quite soothing.

Who is playing with Jeff Beck? Please report back on the concert (a set list would be great - but I know how tough that is).

Vitamin C and lots of liquids, take as much C as your body can tolerate. You will know when you have reached that point by a loosening of the stool. The next day take a little less C and keep taking it until your cold is gone. It should be gone a lot faster than normal. Plenty of rest and imagine yourself at the concert feeling great.

Lots of water including a fair measure of hot water w/fresh squeezed lemon. If you can tolerate it, a Neti pot w/tepid temp salt water (salt packs included in the kits available at some pharmacies). If not a saline based nose spray.

Pain reliever of choice as required. Rest. Don't short change your sleep. If you SWMBO doesn't object, the mentholated rub on the chest mentioned above can be quite soothing.

Who is playing with Jeff Beck? Please report back on the concert (a set list would be great - but I know how tough that is).

I haven't seen anything about an opener for Jeff Beck yet, but I'll keep you posted.

:w00t::w00t:
Vitamin C and lots of liquids, take as much C as your body can tolerate. You will know when you have reached that point by a loosening of the stool. ...

The Vitamin C probably won't help, but that diarrhea sounds like just what you need added to the cold... :w00t: :laugh:

If I am running a low grade fever, I sweat it out by drinking hot ginger tea- with brown sugar to taste. If I can get my pores to open and sweat, then by the next day I'll be 80% better.

If I am running a high fever, then its drug plus cool towel on my forehead, and if its' available, eat lots of watermelon. It gives you a lot of liquid and cools your body.

most of all, take it easy and get off the computer!! (seriously, I find the strain on my eyes makes me worse)

I haven't seen anything about an opener for Jeff Beck yet, but I'll keep you posted.
Please do. Was also wondering who is in his current backup band. Would love to bear live witness to this little phenom...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIFFRHBCPzA[/YOUTUBE]

Just checked the website...you'll be in Big D at the Nokia. Never even been there, but have hear really good things about sight lines and acoustics. Will listen for your impressions.

Forgot to say...feel better!

Put some hydrogen peroxide in your ear. Lie on your side and pour it in. Let it sit for 5 minutes or until it stops bubbling. Dry with a paper towel and qtips.

Add 15 drops of grapefruit seed extract to a glass of juice. Gargle and drink it at the same time. Do it a few times a day. It should kill whatever virus is in your system.

hot brandy honey lemon and ginger on the regular, drink loads of OJ and addy cyanne pepper and garlic to every thing you eat. also eat a clove of raw garlic every morning till you feel better.

Gin, Honey, Lemon, Boiling Water.
Get really warm, sweat it out and sleep.

Although it's either that or NyQuill. I do not recommend mixing.

Hot Toddy!! :thumbup1: This always works for me, but I use brandy or bourbon.

Drink your toddy as fast as you can and then get in bed under a heavy blanket and go to sleep.

proxy.php

Works best for me at the onset of a cold. Otherwise, it does help keep the symptoms to a manageable level.

hot brandy honey lemon and ginger on the regular, drink loads of OJ and addy cyanne pepper and garlic to every thing you eat. also eat a clove of raw garlic every morning till you feel better.

Are you helping him cure his cold or drive the vampires away :lol:

Seriously, the wife and I love garlic! With almost every recipe we double (at least) the amount of garlic called for.

I've had the flu for the last week and have yet to find anything that works. I've been drinking plenty of fluids as well as taking Mucinex D to keep the nasal congestion at bay, but the last 3-4 nights have been brutal because I haven't been getting sleep due to coughing fits. I tried taking some raw honey but that did nothing. I then took some Dayquil which only provided temporary relief. I hope I get better soon

I was suffering from a horrible cold many years ago and this little old lady saw me in the drugstore looking at labels and told me a "secret" remedy that she had always used. She said to go to the package store and purchase a pint of Jack Daniels and have them put it in a small paper bag. She then said to go to the grocery store and buy two lemons. Once you get home she said to peel both lemons and put the peelings in the small paper bag that the JD was in. She then said to cut both lemons into equal size sections and throw them and the bag containing the peelings into the trashcan and drink the whole bottle of Jack and in a few minutes you won't even care how you feel.

I try to prevent the cold from taking hold by eating two cloves of raw garlic as soon as I feel that tell-tale scratch in the back of the throat. It burns like a bastard but seems to help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom