What's new

Favorite Chypre shave soap

Looking at cologne scents and their scent profiles. Since I have some down time. I doing this, I just realized that I like Chypre scents. I see that some Artisan soap makers are producing chypre scents now too.

Thinking I'd like to possibly add one to my rotation. But not sure which one?

So I was wondering what are your favorite chypre scented shave soap(s)? And if you would also comment on the scent and performance.

Thanks

Chypres are considered to be suitable for us by both genders, unlike Fougeres ttah a primarily considered male scents.

One of the classic Chypre scents is Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre. Wholly Kaw has its Chypre Rose Concerto, which is an entirely different take on Chypre. West Coast Shaving sells a private branded soap simply called Chypre. It is available either in a duck fat base produced by Oleo Soapworks, or a vegan cream base produced by Caties Bubbles. Although called a barbershop scent rather than a Chypre, Zingari Man Wanderer has many of the Chypre elements.

I am sure there are others, but those are the ones that came to mind.

LGC this morning!!!!!!

20200401_061408.jpg

awesome maker. awesome scent.

camo

This may be of use to no one since the soap is no longer available, but ...

I'm a fan of Grooming Dept's Chypre Vert. Superb performance. Super slick with topnotch post-shave qualities. I struggle to describe the scent. There are herbal and woodsy elements.

Unfortunately, like many GD soaps, it appears to have been a one-time release. I believe I bought mine in 2018.

Chypre is a broad category.

However, I’d say Eucris is the best scent that fits that bucket in a lathering product, personally. Although their soap is trash now, stick with the cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first use of B+M Le Grand Chypre today.

Very interesting, and uncommon , complex scent.
Also, quite strong.
Unlike anything else in my rotation (which was sort of the point)

The Cardamon is what comes through the strongest, for me.

I think this makes for a really nice "Winter Holidays" time soap.
Have a shave, and then enjoy some warm Glogg, by the fire...

Can anybody chime-in on the characteristics of the matching aftershave splash?
Is it overpowering? or nicely complimenting...

first use of B+M Le Grand Chypre today.

Can anybody chime-in on the characteristics of the matching aftershave splash?
Is it overpowering? or nicely complimenting...

Another vote for B&M Le Grand Chypre. My wife and I love it, one of my top 3 scents of any. I have a warm weather and cold weather rotation of soaps but LGC is the only soap I use all year because I love it so much.

I have the matching aftershave balm and aftershave splash. Both compliment the soap and neither are overpowering. I can wear it to work with no issues and get a ton of compliments.

I spoke with Will and he said the EDT will be back soon now that they are using alcohol again and will be releasing LGC in a bath soap soon. Will be getting both 👍

I have a confession. I don't know the difference between a chypre and a fougere.

There, I finally admitted it.

You can probably live your entire live without ever knowing the difference, but in case you and other are interested here is the distinction.

The Fougere scent family was first introduced to the world by Houbiugant Parfum when they introduced the scent Fougère Royale. Although that specific scent is no longer in production, it has inspired an entire category of scents that are generally targeted toward men. The name Fougere is the French word for Fern. In its original formulation, it is a blend of sweet floral scent of lavender, the earthy scent of oakmoss derived from a species of lichen, and and the new-mown hay scent of coumarin derived from the Tonka Bean. However, EU regulations now prohibit the use of real oakmoss as a small portion of the population is allergic. In the USA, oakmoss is permitted, but Tonka Bean is prohibited. Thus, most Fougere type scents are an approximation of the original Houbiugant scent.

Many men's fragrances are a variation on the original Fougere scent, but are deemed aromatic Fougeres as they also contain spicy, herbal, or woody notes. Many of the popular perfumes and colognes for men fall into the aromatic Fougere category. One such classic scent is Brut by Faberge'. Clubman by Pinaud also falls into this category.

The Chypre scent family is somewhat newer in origin. The word Chypre comes from the French name for the Island of Cyprus. These perfumes are characterized by the various cirtus fruits found on the Island. Bergamot is the most notable. The blended fragrance also contains labdanum which is a resin extracted from the rockrose plant. The original formulation also contained oakmoss, just as Fougere once did. It was introduced to the world in the early 1900s by Francois Coty's Chypre which contained the blend of citrus, labdanum and oakmoss. Although Coty's Chypre was designed to be a fragrance for women, variations of the basic theme are now considered to be suitable for both men and women. Other scent notes added can be leather, fruits, florals, amber, etc.

Another category of scent common in men's shaving is the Oriental Spice scent. One such scent was the original Old Spice Scent by Shulton. If the scent contains cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla, frankincense and myrrh, it probably falls into this category.

Within the shaving community, some fragrances are characterized as barbershop scents. Unlike Fougere, Chypre, Oriental Spicy, and other fragrance categories, there is no specific definition of barbershop. A barbershop scent can be whatever scent was commonly used in a barbershop near you. Thus, it might be a Fougere like Clubman, a floral like Lillac Vegetal, a Bay Rum, or an Oriental Spice like Old Spice.

One characteristic of many barbershop scents seems to be patchouli. It provides a strong, sweet, earthy, musky scent. It is a base note in a fragrance, so it is the scent that lingers long after the more volatile scents have evaporated. Because of its strong, lingering scent, it was a favorite fragrance of marijuana users during the 1960s.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
You can probably live your entire live without ever knowing the difference, but in case you and other are interested here is the distinction.

The Fougere scent family was first introduced to the world by Houbiugant Parfum when they introduced the scent Fougère Royale. Although that specific scent is no longer in production, it has inspired an entire category of scents that are generally targeted toward men. The name Fougere is the French word for Fern. In its original formulation, it is a blend of sweet floral scent of lavender, the earthy scent of oakmoss derived from a species of lichen, and and the new-mown hay scent of coumarin derived from the Tonka Bean. However, EU regulations now prohibit the use of real oakmoss as a small portion of the population is allergic. In the USA, oakmoss is permitted, but Tonka Bean is prohibited. Thus, most Fougere type scents are an approximation of the original Houbiugant scent.

Many men's fragrances are a variation on the original Fougere scent, but are deemed aromatic Fougeres as they also contain spicy, herbal, or woody notes. Many of the popular perfumes and colognes for men fall into the aromatic Fougere category. One such classic scent is Brut by Faberge'. Clubman by Pinaud also falls into this category.

The Chypre scent family is somewhat newer in origin. The word Chypre comes from the French name for the Island of Cyprus. These perfumes are characterized by the various cirtus fruits found on the Island. Bergamot is the most notable. The blended fragrance also contains labdanum which is a resin extracted from the rockrose plant. The original formulation also contained oakmoss, just as Fougere once did. It was introduced to the world in the early 1900s by Francois Coty's Chypre which contained the blend of citrus, labdanum and oakmoss. Although Coty's Chypre was designed to be a fragrance for women, variations of the basic theme are now considered to be suitable for both men and women. Other scent notes added can be leather, fruits, florals, amber, etc.

Another category of scent common in men's shaving is the Oriental Spice scent. One such scent was the original Old Spice Scent by Shulton. If the scent contains cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla, frankincense and myrrh, it probably falls into this category.

Within the shaving community, some fragrances are characterized as barbershop scents. Unlike Fougere, Chypre, Oriental Spicy, and other fragrance categories, there is no specific definition of barbershop. A barbershop scent can be whatever scent was commonly used in a barbershop near you. Thus, it might be a Fougere like Clubman, a floral like Lillac Vegetal, a Bay Rum, or an Oriental Spice like Old Spice.

One characteristic of many barbershop scents seems to be patchouli. It provides a strong, sweet, earthy, musky scent. It is a base note in a fragrance, so it is the scent that lingers long after the more volatile scents have evaporated. Because of its strong, lingering scent, it was a favorite fragrance of marijuana users during the 1960s.
If you say so. Is the Palmolive stick a fougere? Or the green Aqua Velva Original Sport- the Canadian one? I have some Oakmoss Colonia 2 by Musgo Real- so that's a chypre? I'll never get it, I'm afraid...

If you say so. Is the Palmolive stick a fougere? Or the green Aqua Velva Original Sport- the Canadian one? I have some Oakmoss Colonia 2 by Musgo Real- so that's a chypre? I'll never get it, I'm afraid...

As long as your face is happy with the performance and your nose is happy with the scents, it is all good.

I do not think I have ever used Palmolive stick. I understand it was discontinued in 2019, so I probably never will. From what I have read, the scent is derived from limonene and linalool so there is a slight scent of citrus and lavender. It is basically a "clean" scent.

According to Fragrantica, Aqua Velva Original Sport would be classified as an Aromatic Fougere.

The Musgo Real Oakmoss Colonia 2 would fall into the woody Chypre category.

Thus, it seems you and your nose are starting to get it. Congratulations!

Top Bottom