What's new

Favorite Cheap Razor?

My $16 Gold Dollar 1996 straight razor and my $14 VHD tto are my favorite cheap razors. Btw, I was able to hone the Gold Dollar 1996 without any issues.

The Baili three piece Gillette Tech clone known below as model number BD191 (they have a habit of changing the model numbers). The head is light though the handle has a good weight to it. It is a more aggressive shaver than a typical Gillette Tech which I like. The model in the link below selling for $7.18 comes in a plastic case, which I would recommend over the blister pack if you want to receive your razor from China unbent:

BAILI Safety Razor Chrome Alloy Top quality with Packing Sliver Unscrew The Two sided turret Manual Shaving razor +5 Blades-in Razor from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Do you have any advice? I have one, but get a terrible shave with it, too aggressive it seems.
A bunch of us tried this razor together and posted our findings. It was a lot of fun and the banter was great!! Collectively, we decided that overall, it wasn't a horrible razor for a $1, but it wasn't going to last over time. Several of our razors began to rust and fall apart. We also discovered that the quality of the blades that came with the razor were NOT consistent. From the same package, one blade would be horrible, while the very next blade gave a decent shave. Some of the guys began experimenting with other blades (Astras, Gillettes, Polsilver, etc) and found an improvement.

So, if you've got another blade that performs well for you, try it in the Assured Razor. Also, to tame some of the aggressiveness, try "riding the cap", increase the cap contact with the skin and lessening the baseplate contact by tilting the handle slightly farther away but not applying any additional pressure.

Do you have any advice? I have one, but get a terrible shave with it, too aggressive it seems.

Yeah. Leave it on the shelf instead of adding to your local landfill by buying a razor that isn't meant to outlast the five blades it's packaged with. :001_rolle

I guess my Gillette Slim doesn't count, even though it cost me only twelve bucks. If I were in the market for a sub-$10 razor I'd try either one of the Lord razors made in Egypt or one of the Gillette branded ones out of India.

My guess would be something is bent. The thin sheet metal deforms easily. Make sure everything seems even after closing on a blade, every time you load a blade.

And what Grundi said

Gillette Super Click. It's all plastic but more reliable than JiLi or similar 3 piece clones. My JiLi lasted approximately 30-40 shaves before the threads stripped. I always partially or completely disassembdis in order to rinse the blade.

My travel razor is a Lord L6: $11.50 from Amazon including a blade!
Amazon is ripping people off with their cheap 3rd world imports.

A concord razor(which I've broken), goes for 4 or 5 times on amazon compared to what I paid for here.

I bet the L6 costs nothing more than a cup of coffee in Cairo.

Amazon is ripping people off with their cheap 3rd world imports.

A concord razor(which I've broken), goes for 4 or 5 times on amazon compared to what I paid for here.

I bet the L6 costs nothing more than a cup of coffee in Cairo.

Great point!!

Top Bottom