What's new

Favorite Cheap Or Affordable Colognes?

Love it. Put it on evenings at home too.
I shave before bed in case of bad irritation, that way I have all night for it to calm down. I put on aftershave and cologne before bed. It's aromatherapy, man! I find Stetson and Royal Copenhagen very calming. I thought I was the only one who used cologne to sleep better.

...there's also a woman beside me who likes it too [emoji6]

I love all the old classic scents you find in the drug store. I love pricy stuff too like Knize Ten, Penhalligons, and many more. But cheaper scents are so accessible, and, well, cheap. But they too have a really classic appeal. My all time favorite scent might possibly be Aqua Velva. Yes, its cheap as can be, and the scent is far from long lasting. But it just smells of a barbershop from maybe the 1940s or something like that.

But I'm a fan of so many more.... Old Spice, English Leather, Brut, Tabac, Yardley English Blazer (if it can be found) and others too. These frags have not been selling for 50-100 years because they are dull and uninterested. They're all classics.

One that I quite like in that is in that Bogart & Ted Lapidus price range is the Roger & Gallet Open. I think it represents decent value. The original poster might also want to add the Williams Aqua Velva to his den. I think it's still available on ebay and maybe a few other places.

This list goes on and on, but I wanted to add a recent addition of mine: Aramis.

I read that it was the very first fragrance marketed exclusively to men in department stores. This was in the early 1960's. Before that, it had all been perfumes and cosmetics, but Estee Lauder created Aramis to break into the mens market. Obviously this was revolutionary and countless fragrances followed suit.

Aramis is crushingly masculine. It's also quite complex. To me, it really brings the smell of horseback riding, leather, earth and tabacco. It's the smell of a gunfighter or a knight. It's not subtle and it's not looking for acceptance. This a picture of masculinity that's being forced out of our culture, so I would think the best time to wear it is right now!

Aramis is nearly $50 at Walmart. However, I've seen it for as low as $15 online. I think every man should experiment with it, especially since everything seems to be going unisex. This is ANYTHING but that!

Yes, that's a great shower gel.. and grab Dark Amber if you see it, also a great scent. They had a bunch on clearance as well. Might have to stop and see what's left..
Giorgio Beverly Hills EDT is obscenely cheap. It is long lasting, and it evolves after 1-2hr to a fairly aggressive (yet sophisticated) patchouli/honey fragrance.
No man should be without it.

Carlo Corinto Classic $27. I can remember paying 75 bucks in the 80s. Always have a bottle since 83.

4711 EDC spray, around $30 for 10oz. Doesn't last long but if you apply right after a moisturizer it lasts on me all day. YMMV.

Giorgio Beverly Hills EDT is obscenely cheap. It is long lasting, and it evolves after 1-2hr to a fairly aggressive (yet sophisticated) patchouli/honey fragrance.
No man should be without it.

Found an older bottle at an antique shop. Huge difference between top notes and dry down on this one. The patchouli vibe takes me back to college in the 80's..

IMG_5775.JPG

I had to buy myself some different colognes and picked up cheaper ones.

Insurrection II Pure, I don't know what Creed Aventus smells like but it is supposed to be a knockoff. I can't describe scents very well but it starts out as a pineapple kind of smell and somewhat mellows out after that.

Hanae Mori HiM, has a masculine kind of dark spicy scent. Was supposed to be similar to PdP No 63, it is somewhat similar to it and I bought it to go with that. I wasn't disappointed.

Nautica Voyage, nice fresh scent.

Aqua Velva Musk, I just purchased this after about a 25 year hiatus of not using it. At they didn't change it and it smells just like I remember from the 80's.

Jovan Musk, tried this for the first time last year and it does not go very well on me. I bought both the AS/cologne and the Cologne. Upon trying it all I got was what reminds me of beng near someone with bad breath.

Old Spice AS, new version, it smells off or just wrong. I always used the old version of the cologne but never the old AS but the new stuff in the plastic bottle smells no where near like the old cologne does.

Haven't tried Brut cologne but the AS wasn't that good.

I have Pinaud Clubman and Musk, they are AS but to me they both smell the same. Decent scents but not enough to make me want to try their other scents.

I don't get to a large city to try exotic type colognes so everything I have purchased comes from online shopping and have to go by scent descriptions. Only one I was disappointed in was the Jovan Musk which I could have gotten locally. I have enough cologne and only one I been meaning to try is Stetson.

I have Pinaud Clubman and Musk, they are AS but to me they both smell the same. Decent scents but not enough to make me want to try their other scents.

You got the two most similar scents, IMO, from the ones I've tried. Special reserve has a lot of the same undertones, but a strong peppery scent. Whiskey Woods is different altogether, and my favorite. If you ever decide to try a different Pinaud Clubman, that would be the one.

You got the two most similar scents, IMO, from the ones I've tried. Special reserve has a lot of the same undertones, but a strong peppery scent. Whiskey Woods is different altogether, and my favorite. If you ever decide to try a different Pinaud Clubman, that would be the one.

I bought the original a couple years ago and I don't mind it. It reminds me of back in the 70's the interior of a car and the vinyl. When I was placing an order(not sure which online shop) I noticed they had the Musk and decided why not try it. I get the same scent as the original and not much different. I don't have any desire to try any more Pinaud AS after the musk. Thanks for the suggestion though. Not sure it is possible but I really have more than enough now. If I acquire more it will likely be a matching AS to a soap/cream I buy.

Top Bottom