Duck Tales
Tailspin
Darkwing Duck
Rescue Rangers

Before my time:

Rocky and Bullwinkle
all the Warner Bros. cartoons
Roger Ramjet

I was never a fan of the Hanna Barbara cartoons.

Lots of guys into Mike Judge's "King Of The Hill" - let us not forget their progenitors, Beavis & Butthead! "Family Guy" is heading towards the same-ness trap the Simpsons have been in for years - but you just have to love Brian & Stewie

Then:
Flintstones, Hong-Kong Phooey (there definitely was a Hanna-Barbera hierarchy), Foghorn Leghorn, Dick Dastardly & Muttley (The Wacky Races & Catch the Pigeon!)

Anyone remember "Wait 'til Your Father Gets Home", early 70's US cartoon?

Has anyone noticed that there are no more Saturday morning cartoons? Yeah, there are a couple. But they're not very good and it's not like in the old days when they started a 6:00AM and went on until 11:00AM in at least 3 channels including the major networks.

Yeah, I think when I was in high school they tried to start showing more "reality/educational" type shows instead of cartoons. I understand the reason, but the programming was awful.

Yeah, I think when I was in high school they tried to start showing more "reality/educational" type shows instead of cartoons. I understand the reason, but the programming was awful.

While I was in school (Somewhere between Middle and High School) they switched from Sturday mornings to after school cartoons.

Need to see more love for Ren and Stimpy. A lot of people don't appreciate how edgy and innovative it was in its time, and what awful parents you had if they let you watch it. :biggrin1:

John K. has a great blog on cartooning/animation BTW. Highly recommended reading, if for nothing more than the R&S/George Liquor/etc sketches.

Ren and Stimpy was one of my favorites. As a kid I wasn’t really sure what to think of it; it was, dirty, dark, disgusting, and surreal, but something about it seem almost ingenious even though outwardly it was just filthy. Anyway, I quit that show fast; the original creator and writer was fired after 2 seasons for trying to do the show how he wanted. After that the show was forced to adhere to a certain “code of conduct” to keep it more suitable for children to watch.

This is one I never see people talk about but was really funny, IMHO.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZIjT3S7wvc[/YOUTUBE]

You have a LOT of good back thens but one you forgot for back then was "Star Blazers"!:thumbup:
Doh! can't believe I forgot Starblazers. A few years ago Boomerang was airing them sometime at 2 or 3 am.

While I was in school (Somewhere between Middle and High School) they switched from Sturday mornings to after school cartoons.

I remember after school cartoons being around throughout the 80's and part of the 90's. No such thing as after-school cartoons anymore either.

I remember when you had to keep a schedule to watch cartoons. I recall waking up at 5:00 or so to catch the 45 minutes of Looney Toons that would run from 5:15 til 6:00 AM (when the local morning show would start). I also remember when Saturday morning was the "cartoon cornucopia," and my brother and I would carefully plan out a schedule so that we could maximize our cartoon enjoyment. Afternoon cartoons was pretty much limited to The Flintstones for quite some time, but bit by bit, afternoon cartoon shows started showing up.

Then
  • Looney Toons
  • Popeye
  • Hong Kong Phooey
  • Flintstones
  • Mighty Mouse (Bakshi's--though I wasn't a kid anymore)

Now
  • Family Guy (wife hates it, so I don't go out of my way to watch it)
  • Futurama (I'm maybe one of 42 geeks that prefer it to the Simpsons)
  • Semi-recent anime (Trigun, Cowboy Beebop, and FLCL as examples, though I've not watched any anime in the past few years)

I haven’t seen any mention of Beavis and Butthead yet. Kind of surprising.

Also, what about Danger Mouse? He was a powerhouse.

battle of the planets
jonny quest
pinky and the brain
justice league
justice league unlimited(love the question,hate the way dc dealt with him in the comics)
most of the stuff on tv today is carp

Disney's RECESS is another favorite. It often gave me belly laughs remembering when I used to do those things in elementary school.

Thundercats - Hell yeah.

Batman - from the early 90's

Top Bottom