What's new

Favorite carbon blades?

I have taken in interest as to how shaving actually used to be back then. I know that there are still some manufacturers of carbon-steel blades.

I tried several Treet ones, and liked the Silver. The Treet Classic tore my face up

What are your favorite ones? Which other brands do you know of?

I enjoy the Treet Classic and the Black Beauties. I had a couple of carbon blades someone had sent me years ago called "Captain." I liked those too. Not really any others that I can think of.

Ive found that treet DE or SE carbon blades are damn fine blades IMHO. Any of the blue, silver or classic work for me.

20180827_064514.jpg
As I have mentioned before, I use vintage blades exclusively. With all the time I have on my hands I'm able to find them at or negotiate them to a price that's worthwhile. I use a few carefully chosen carbons and of them the above are my favorite and best. They are not just good, they are among my best performing blades period. But I've only found two completely sealed packages of them anywhere and I've been searching hard for them.

I just got some black Treets coming in. I can't wait to try them.
I think the carbon blades give you a feeling of how people really shaved back then.

Just remember that the carbons being made then were of a higher quality so what they experienced was a little better, but you're right it will give you a good idea.

The red Captains by Lord and the Black Beauties by Treet. I like the Treet Durasharps as well and various vintage blades from Max Herder and Apollo. Still a truckload of other vintage blades to try out. I love carbon steel blades though some vintage ones (and recent Chinese ones) can be pretty rough.

The red Captains by Lord and the Black Beauties by Treet. I like the Treet Durasharps as well and various vintage blades from Max Herder and Apollo. Still a truckload of other vintage blades to try out. I love carbon steel blades though some vintage ones (and recent Chinese ones) can be pretty rough.
talibeard, you must have sent me the Captains years ago. Ever find any more of them?

talibeard, you must have sent me the Captains years ago. Ever find any more of them?

There is only one place I found those (Hungarian Lord importer) and I ordered through email, not the webshop, and I don't know if they ship worldwide but you can write them in english;

Captain Penge 10db-os

Because they are so hard to find I stocked a lifetime+ supply.

I just tried the black Greets and they are actually much better than the Treet Platinum, which were the stainless type.

You can tell these are just carbon blades because there isn't any coating, teflon, etc. like the modern DEs have.

I just wonder how many days I can use them?

Gillette carbon blades are good. There is something about a carbon blade that gives an exceptionally close shave, but at the onset they can drag and be tough to use on a full course beard. I use them as a final pass after using a stainless blade to cut down 95% of the stubble.

Got 3 days out of the black Treet. This one's a keeper.
The key to Carbons is to pat them dry after using them, or dip in rubbing alcohol

I've had 3 shaves out of a Black Beauty only IF I eitherpat it dry or dip in rubbing alcohol.

The other carbons like the Treet Silver don't rust as quickly. I think their edge has a coating

I bought a few tucks of both the Treet Black Beauty blades and the Treet Falcons.

Black Beauty is a beautiful looking blade, but it's too mild for the wires protruding from my face. I lost count of how many passes I made. I basically ditched the blade after a single shave; I'll keep these on hand for those days when I need an evening touch-up, maybe, but as a daily shaver they simply aren't sharp enough to do the job on my face.

Falcons are a bit better. Sharper. I got a couple of chin weepers, which is usually a decent sign for me that the blade works :D There's one rough patch that I probably should have gone over another pass, but overall the Falcon was quite adequate.

I've so far only used the Falcon in a pre-war Gillette Tech with the triangular bottom plate openings. The Black Beauties I used in that, plus my Slim Adjustable, 77, and British New OC. It gave its worst (ie, mildest) performance in the British New, which is usually reckoned to be a slightly more aggressive razor. Go figure.

Top Bottom