What's new

Favorite brushes for face lathering

I really have no strong opinion as to my selection of a brush when I face lather, which is most of the time. My brushes include several Simpsons and Shavemacs but it is pretty much YMMV. However, I bet there are some strong opinions with sound reasons. I also cold water shave.

I am about 80/20 bowl to face shaving, but my Omega boar 10290 kicks *** at both. Plus it was under $10, Winning:a18:

Jay, I can see you are not new to this game. Is that 80/20 ratio solid or are you migrating in one direction?

I have a Vie-Long 13800 horsehair and a restored Ever-Ready with a TGN super badger at 49mm x 22mm. They are both great face latherers.

Jay, I can see you are not new to this game. Is that 80/20 ratio solid or are you migrating in one direction?

Pretty solid, mostly bowl for hard soaps and face for creams and croaps. Although I have been hitting the Cella hard recently and that is a great face lather!

I only face lather and use a Saville Row 3118 and a Rooney Heritage Emillion 1. I have tried several other brands and several different grades of badger hair and these are the best I have tried for face lathering. I just got a Semogue 620 off of the B/S/T to try next.

Semogue 1305 is a terrific face latherer, and I've also discovered that my Rod Neep custom does a fantastic job with face-lathering too.

I've always thought that the Neep was a little floppy for anything other than mug-lathering creams, although admittedly I had been comparing it to my Chubby 2 in Super, the density of which makes anything seem floppy.

This morning the Neep had a crack at an unsoaked puck of Tabac, and performed more than admirably.

Used my Semogue 1305 loaded with C&E Sandalwood and face lathered today.

This is my typical line up of face brushes (the ones I usually grab when I want to face lather)

proxy.php

The B&B LE brushes from '08 and '09 are the best I've come across.
My RV TGN Finest is superb too.
I'm a fan of the Kent BK8 for face lathering, but the LE's edge it out by just a bit.
Now this may all change once my Rooney Finest comes in the mail....

I haven't bowl lathered in over a year. After buying 11 brushes last year I've settled into a pattern, a Simpson Rover for hard soaps and a Duke 1 for creams and sticks. The Rover is so good with Tabac or Harris soaps that I have to force myself to use anything else. This spring and summer I plan to bring out some other brushes, store the Rover, and concentrate on using up some old creams.

Top Bottom