What's new

Favorite Brush

My favorite brush of all time was the Semogue 1305. Although I have many more expensive boars and upscale badgers, the 1305 seemed to be the one I reached for most of the time over the 4 years that I used it.
+1
use my 1305 more than any other brush with mostly soaps.

I am not going to mention all my shaving brushes.They are well above 10, and some of them are considered real gems in the forum. The brushes that i really like are the following three :

Vulfix Grosvenor 404B re-knotted with a TGN Two band Finest badger.
New Forest 2204 Super Badger Two Band.
Vulfix 660S small.

I have owned (and sold) a lot of high-end brushes over the last 2.5 years, but my current favorite is a Rudy Vey custom with a 32mm Shavemac Finest knot set in a butterscotch Tulip 4 handle. It wasn't a cheap brush per se, but it was a lot cheaper than my big Simpsons and Rooneys.
$rudy.jpg

I have owned (and sold) a lot of high-end brushes over the last 2.5 years, but my current favorite is a Rudy Vey custom with a 32mm Shavemac Finest knot set in a butterscotch Tulip 4 handle. It wasn't a cheap brush per se, but it was a lot cheaper than my big Simpsons and Rooneys.

Bob, that's a big honk'n brush. I know that you like the bigg'ns.

I have a 23/50 Shavemac finest fan knot that is terrific. Shavemac finest hair is really special.

Bob, that's a big honk'n brush. I know that you like the bigg'ns.

I have a 23/50 Shavemac finest fan knot that is terrific. Shavemac finest hair is really special.

With OP's permission.

redrako, do you facelather? That knot would be a bit long for that or is it right considering the type of hair?

Juan,

I do face lather mostly soaps, but also creams, with the fan shaped 23/50 Finest knot. In fact that's how I use the brush most often.

With the fan shape and slightly higher loft, it's probably not most folks idea of an ideal face lathering brush. I think of it as a good general purpose brush. My understanding is that Shavemac's Finest is a 60/40 ratio silvertip/pure badger hair so that it has more backbone than Shavemac's 100% silvertip.

You should know that softness I value softness in a brush, perhaps more than the average wet shaver. I am pretty sensitive to scratch or scritch, and am very comfortable with this Shavemac. Yet I don't want a mop, or a brush that's going to open up it's breach in use. With this brush, I build the lather on my face using a circular motions and then finish off with a painting motion of even out the lather and have been very happy.

As a Christmas treat for myself, I've ordered the Shavemac 177 in finest from West Coast shaving, also at 23 mm. It will be interesting to see the bulb shaped know compares to the same size fan shaped knot.

Thanks, redrako.

Yes, I don't like scratch or scritch either. And don't like my brushes to "open" too much while shaving.

I was thinking of ordering a Shavemac finest (fan) with a 23 mm knot, but was not sure about the loft because I've never tried that type of hair. From 46 to 48? I like my Duke 3, so that was it. Now I've got your opinion and valuable experience! Thank you again!

Hope you'll enjoy your Shavemac 177 (you deserve it, that's for sure...). Please, let us know your opinion about the differences between the fan and the bulb knots!

And thanks to the OP!

Juan, You can always drop an email to Berndt at Shavemac and tell him what you're looking for and ask his opinion, I'm sure that he'll give your more perspective.

I just realized that you're writing from Spain, so perhaps you know Tieste on the Spanish shave forum? His recommendation for the Sahvemac finest is what inspired me. Like many of Tieste's recommendations, it worked out very well for me.

redrako,

Definitely, I will ask Bernd about this point.

Yes, I know Teiste. A real "master" and a great guy! My interest in Shavemac's Finest has a lot to do with that enabler gentleman!

At the moment my favorite is my Whipped Dog Silvertip but, I got my new Semogue Owners Club 2-Band Badger Brush - Cherry Wood today. I'll just have to wait and see.

Top Bottom