What's new

Favorite brush for soaps?

joel said:
Echo. Wait a minute..... I recommended both of these to Rik :biggrin: :thumbup:

Seriously though - the "king" of shaving soap specific brushes in my opinion is the Plisson Euro White #12. I have had various plissons, and currently have a Plisson #14 & #16 in High Mountain White with horn handles.... and the euro white spanks 'em with soaps and the #12 is the perfect size.

When the rubber hits the road however - the simpson pj2 is built better, will work with creams just as well as soaps, is ALMOST as good as the plisson euro white, and it has a more comfortable hande. If you are looking for the best *soap brush* a plisson #12 in euro white is the ticket. If you are looking for ONE of the best shaving soap & cream brushes that is a 9.5 out of 10 in both creams and soaps - get a PJ2 in super. Personally I think the PJ2 is the best brush out there... sure you can get a brush that is a 10 out of 10 with creams.... but it'll be a 6 with soaps, and visa versa. The PJ2 is the only brush that does BOTH creams and soaps nearly perfect.
It's true! :biggrin:

I gotta say... I have narrowly avoided SBAD by getting a Shavemac 44140 (silver tip, 25mm) early on. It's working well for soaps and creams, feels yummy, and I can't imagine wanting anything else. I've held on to this notion for a month now, in spite of all of my other restless changes, so that's gotta say something. :smile:

It may be considered a little soft for soaps (as far as I know), but I've just learned to use a little more water and work the soap a little longer to pick it up before I transfer to the bowl.

leesrazors said:
Awesome for hard soaps!
Just my two cents!
Lee

You're right, Lee. I bought a Duke 2 from you a few weeks back, and after being a bit dismayed at first by it's relatively small size (at least compared to other brushes I've owned), am finding that this brush really does a great job on soap, and it holds plenty of lather. I'm to the point where I really don't use creams anymore, so i'm using the Duke on a daily basis now:smile:

PS - I really like the fact that the Duke hasn't bloomed into a mop - it appears to be holding it shape really well. Perhaps a function of the relatively short bristle length?

These brushes all work equally well for me on soaps:

Edwin Jagger medium silvertip
Savile Row 3118
Kent BK2
Rooney 1 super small
Simpsons PJ2 best
Omega boar

John

Top Bottom