What's new

Favorite Bottom Shelf Bourbon

Under $15: Evan Williams White label and Weller Special Reserve...there several in the $18 - $22 that are better but those are my favorites on the low end.

A lot of great replies, so it looks like there's plenty of interest in the topic. But I'll have to say, you guys have some pretty high-brow tastes in bottom shelf bourbon: 1792? Sheesh, that's 35 bucks here in Oregon, so I'm definitely cringing if I see that going into the Coke or ginger ale. Here's what I got so far: There are votes for 1792, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Wild Turkey, Weller PR, Four Roses yellow. All nice bourbons, for sure, but they're all 1.5 to 2 times the price point I had in mind. A vote for Dickel 12, which I love, but it's $22 bucks. Too rich for a party pour. Closer, but still a little on the high end are JB White ($18), Rebel Yell ($17), Fighting **** ($17) and Evan Williams White ($16). Old Fitz, Very Old Barton, and Virginia Gentleman are worthy options, but sadly are not generally available here in Oregon.

And, while I like Old Overholt, it is rye, not bourbon, and is $18 to boot. The current incarnation of Ten High isn't bourbon, either. (BTW, some time back I acquired a Ten High dusty produced back in the day when it was bourbon. You wouldn't mistake it for Blanton's or anything, but it was a very nice, true-to-type bourbon).

In the wheelhouse are Evan Williams Black ($14 on sale; I'd love that $19 handle, but that's not to be here in Oregon), Benchmark ($13), Henry McKenna ($12) and, I guess, price wise, Old Crow ($10.50). No offense to the proposer, but I'll pass on the OC.

I realize, based on the replies, that my question needed more specificity, especially given the wide variation in prices and availability. But thanks to everyone for weighing in.

So the votes say EW Black. I can go with that, as I do appreciate its value and I'm partial to Heaven Hill juice. But I'm still interested in exploring a few other options, so a bottom shelf (as it is comprised here in Oregon, at least) tasting may be in order.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Old Grand Dad Bonded (100 proof) for me. $22/L here at the normal liquor stores, the discount places might be a dollar or two cheaper. Its got heat, but taste fine on the rocks.

Other than that, I jump right to DUKE bourbon or Bulleit....

Benchmark is my favorite cheap bourbon followed by EW black.

I read the whole thread looking to see if someone mentioned Benchmark. That's McAfee’s Benchmark Old No. 8 Brand Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey if you're not into the whole brevity thing. I can get a bottle in the $8 range. A handle can be had for about $18. The bottom shelf does not get cheaper, or better than this stuff.

http://whiskey-reviews.com/2011/10/benchmark/
http://www.drinkhacker.com/2010/08/11/review-mcafees-benchmark-old-no-8-brand-bourbon-whiskey/

$benchmark-old-no-8-bourbon.jpg

I read the whole thread looking to see if someone mentioned Benchmark. That's McAfee’s Benchmark Old No. 8 Brand Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey if you're not into the whole brevity thing. I can get a bottle in the $8 range. A handle can be had for about $18. The bottom shelf does not get cheaper, or better than this stuff.

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2010/08/11/review-mcafees-benchmark-old-no-8-brand-bourbon-whiskey/

View attachment 576452
Huh. Haven't tried or heard of that one, will keep my eyes open. Nice signature btw!

View attachment 576452

Great suggestion. Benchmark is a very viable option. Here in the control state of Oregon, it's $13 for a 750, but still one of the least expensive true bourbons around these parts. I'm halfway through my bottom shelf taste-off, and Benchmark is a clear contender. Stay tuned for full results. Thanks for weighing in.

Great suggestion. Benchmark is a very viable option. Here in the control state of Oregon, it's $13 for a 750, but still one of the least expensive true bourbons around these parts. I'm halfway through my bottom shelf taste-off, and Benchmark is a clear contender. Stay tuned for full results. Thanks for weighing in.

It's one on the few bottom shelf bourbons that I will drink neat. It's a fantastic value and great mixed with a ginger ale.

+ 1 for jim beam. Decent sipper with ice not to harsh and wont hurt my soul to see it mixed with coke for those inclined to ruin a bourbon. Also a side note for a cheap straight up sipper revel stoke pecan whisky. There is a smoky toasted pecan note that is dang tasty to sip on. Not pecan pie whiskey which is a little to sweet for my taste. The revel stoke pecan is relatively inexpensive and as i said tasty to sip upon.

Definitely looking forward to the "bottom shelf taste-off". I'll have to look for this one as well. It and Old Forester are on my list to try soon. As well as many in a higher $$ range. :)

I don't think I saw Old Charter 8 in any of the commits. Its about $15 for a 750 in Oklahoma and (IMO) is one of the better bourbons around in its price range. Owned by Buffalo Trace it uses the same distillery used for George Stagg, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace bourbons. Where as in the past the 8 stood for 8 years it is now just a name and there is no age statement on the bottle. The Old Charter Aged 10 years was really nice and I wish they would start aging it for bottling again.

Top Bottom