What's new

Favorite Books from your childhood.

When I was a boy I didn't do well in school, but I read a lot. I had large collections of comics, Mad magazines and paperbacks, and hot rod magazines.

I read Reader's Digest Condensed Books. I still remember some of the novels I read in them. And I remember being too young to fully understand what the stories were about. Also I read detective stories, by authors like Raymond Chandler, and a series of books on the history of art.

I read Reader's Digest Condensed Books.
Oh my, that spurred a memory. We had hundreds of issues of Reader's Digest. I would sit for hours on the sofa with a stack of twenty of them at a time, reading *just* Laughter is the Best Medicine, Humor in Uniform, and Life in These United States. My brothers would head out to the yard to do lord knows what and there I sat, "Nah, I'm good." Apparently I really needed cheering up as a kid.

When I was a boy I didn't do well in school, but I read a lot. I had large collections of comics, Mad magazines and paperbacks, and hot rod magazines.

I read Reader's Digest Condensed Books. I still remember some of the novels I read in them. And I remember being too young to fully understand what the stories were about. Also I read detective stories, by authors like Raymond Chandler, and a series of books on the history of art.

Just keep reading. It doesn't matter what you read. I didn't do well in school either. In grade and high school in the 50s/60s, I loved DC/ EC comics, car mags, Readers Digest, Classics Illustrated, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Bomba and others. In the mid 60s, while in college, I became obsessed with Tolkein and Sherlock Holmes. I barely made it thru college, but weirdly enough, I aced a course in Greek mythology. My professor had to plead with me to stop taking tests because I screwed up his curve. I haven't read Greek mythology before or since. By the late 70s, I was into King, Knootz, and Tom Clancy. It wasn't until I retired, and someone gave me an ebook, that I got obsessed with classics. I must have a dozen copies of Monte Cristo from a $4 paperback to a $700, 5 vol leather bound set, and multiple editions of Dracula. Read what you enjoy.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
[...] Don't forget "Highlights"! [...]
The Pontificator:
1-jpg.899177
...in our house then...if we didn't have the latest issue...our barbershop sure did (loved the hidden picture searches). :thumbsup:

proxy.php

From the month & year of my birth.

proxy.php
"Fun with a purpose". Highlights Slogan

Last edited:
I also remember that when I was in elementary school there was the annual "book buy" through a mail order company. I think the name was Scholastic Book Services. That was a big deal back then...the day the order came in and our purchases handed out.

Also the annual bake sale and the annual school logo sweatshirt purchases.

Good times (back in the late 1960's)

I also remember that when I was in elementary school there was the annual "book buy" through a mail order company. I think the name was Scholastic Book Services. That was a big deal back then...the day the order came in and our purchases handed out.

Also the annual bake sale and the annual school logo sweatshirt purchases.

Good times (back in the late 1960's)
Scholastic is certainly still a thing. At least even in Middle School. SWMBO is actually running a Scholastic book fair at our youngest girls school as I type this. It's an incredible amount of work, but she's really enjoying seeing the kids faces as they get their books.

Scholastic is certainly still a thing. At least even in Middle School. SWMBO is actually running a Scholastic book fair at our youngest girls school as I type this. It's an incredible amount of work, but she's really enjoying seeing the kids faces as they get their books.
From my own experience, these things can last in lifetime interests as well as helping reticent readers find a passion.

There are Several but "The secret of TurkeyFoot Mountain. About two boys who are looking for ginseng (a medicinal root) in the hills. It is worth a lot, but the secret is about a man who had a hoard of the best (shaped like little men), is there a ghost here? It was great then and still is.

My oldest brother was almost 11-years my senior and he had a small collection of Hardy Boys and Tom Swift books, which I devoured. Then I added my own numbers of the newer Hardy Boys and Tom Swift books.

Later, in HS, 'The Hobbit'; then the Great LOTR Trilogy, which I have read twice.

Top Bottom