What's new

Favorite Books from your childhood.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A1R9prSsEoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Do you have a favorite book from your childhood that you would like to reread today? I just placed an order on Amazon for book published in 1941, "Stratosphere Jim and His Flying Fortress". It was handed down to me by an older cousin in the mid 60's that I read as a young boy. I look forward to reading it again!

In elementary school I loved all of Beverly Cleary's Henry Huggins and related characters books. I also loved the juvenile detective book series Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators by Robert Arthur. I actually recently re-read the Tripod series by John Christopher, young adult sci-fi. (The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, The Pool of Fire, When the Tripods came.)

I loved the J.R.R Tolkien books in late elementary and then middle school.

But my absolute favorite book from my childhood is Catcher in the Rye. It’s not appropriate for super young kids but I first read it in 6th grade and I’ve read it almost every single year since then. It’s my favorite book of all time.

I loved the J.R.R Tolkien books in late elementary and then middle school.

But my absolute favorite book from my childhood is Catcher in the Rye. It’s not appropriate for super young kids but I first read it in 6th grade and I’ve read it almost every single year since then. It’s my favorite book of all time.
Catcher in the Rye is a great book. I read that every few years.

Cue for Treason by Geoffrey Trease is another excellent book for older children (and adults!). Lots of fun and Shakespeare is in it.

Childhood, as in when first having learned how to read grade school, favorites: The original (1930's) Professor Branestawm books, the Paddington books, a book called the Mad Scientist's Club.... those all occupy a nostalgic place in my mind.

I was a vacuum for "Orange Biographies" in elementary school. I too wanted to read the entire shelf. As a child I also devoured Hardy Boys and laughed at Eloise's hijinks at the Plaza Hotel. In high school I read and re-read Catch-22 multiple times; I still remember getting cramps from suppressing laughter in class (when we were supposed to be studying). No doubt I will read it again.

Top Bottom