What's new

Favorite Blade to use in Tradere OC?

Wondering what blades you recommend using in your Tradere OC? I used an Astra SP which is a forgiving blade in my Weber, ATT Atlas M-1 and EJ DE89L, and it felt a little rough. Not my typical comfortable blade. I'm sure part of it is learning the angle for this beautiful Open Comb! No razorburn, but not sure my face could take daily shave with this combo. Any suggestions from other Tradere OC owners greatly appreciated!!

I experienced the same roughness with my Tradere OC & Astra SPs (my favourite blade). I tried other blades & they were pretty much the same. I went back to the Astra & worked on my technique & experimented with different soaps. It took a while but now my shaves are smooth & I use the Tradere every day.

I found that the Tradere only worked with “soaps” that leave a slick film on my skin. I say “soaps” because my most comfortable shaves have been with King Of Shaves gloop in a tube, or KOS shave oil. In terms of standard soaps, applied with a brush, TOBS Jermyn Street & TOBS Sandalwood both work well.

Technique wise, I think the weight of the razor was causing me to apply slightly too much pressure. I now grip the handle with three fingers & a thumb on my WTG strokes, instead of pinching the handle between my thumb & forefinger. Skin stretching also helps a lot.

With regards the shave angle, I have found that the Tradere has two cutting angles. The normal method of putting the end cap on your face & rotating towards the comb, produces a cutting angle which I found too aggressive & I just use this angle for touch ups at the end of the shave. I discovered that if I put the comb against my face & rotate the head towards the end cap, a much milder shave angle is found. Yes, I know that this sounds very wrong, but it works very well for me. YMMV of course!

Last edited:
Sceptic Pencil,

Wow! Thanks for your insight and the information - That sounds like it will help immensely! I would really love to use it more with a comfortable shave! I'm intrigued by the idea of going comb up instead of the usual way to find the angle! I will try it! Sounds like you still use the Astras in the Tradere currently? I won't give up yet!

Top Bottom