What's new

Favorite bevel setter?

DMT coarse stone used dry.

I'm interested in trying a high quality waterstone, like a Shapton or Naniwa, but I haven't made the plunge yet. It makes sense to me that diamond stone should cut faster than any waterstone, but idk!

Upgrading the Norton 1000 is a good move IMO. I found that it'll get 'a' bevel, but like the King red brick it's a soft soaker that usually doen't get to 'the' bevel. It was my first 'bevel setter'. I disliked it right out of the box. For me it is too soft, too slow, needs too much soaking and lapping and takes too long to dry out. I moved to a Naniwa SS 1k almost instantly, shortly after that I moved to the 1k Chosera.

These days, my most often used stone for the initial stage is the 1.5k Shapton Pro; it's harder and wears better than the 2k and 1k Pro, and it's been a better all-around option for my needs. Prveiously, the 1k Chosera was my go-to, and the Chosera 800x was a close 2nd, but I got out of Chosera/Pro stones. The Shapton GS 1000 is a bit coarser than the others listed here and it isn't a favorite but it'll get the job done well.

Coticule with slurry is my favorite way to set bevels.

Chosera 1k is my go to.

In the future I'm considering a 1200 diamond plate

The shapton 1500 has been on my list a handful of times, haven't committed, yet?

The 1000 shapton I owned was super duper fast.

The Norton 1000 I owned was super fast and left a more toothy edge.

The Kings I've owned are super slothy, painfully slow. The king 800 was moderate but the king 1000s are snails.

Top Bottom