What's new

Favorite Badger Shaving Brush? (Silver Tip)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Yaqi mysterious space 24mm Silvertip badger.jpg

It should be no surprise to you, that this is the brush that calls to me. And yes I've already seen it on their website. I didn't buy it, cause I already bought a brush recently, the Maseto Avatar. There is a reason why we love our silver tipped badgers. We love those pillow soft hairs, and with solid backbone, to push the lather into the hairs. I had to learn a tough lesson though about NOT buying too cheap a badger brush. I got screwed on that pure badger from MRB, 0 backbone, completely splays out, just a terrible brush, and it had the mildew stench when new.

My silver tipped Maseto Avatar brush however, very soft, solid backbone, good loft size, huge knot, lather soaker upper, like a sea sponge! But nice chubby handle, feels great in the hand, and is just overall gorgeous! But, I wouldn't mind owning that brush in your picture one of these days. 😍

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It should be no surprise to you, that this is the brush that calls to me. And yes I've already seen it on their website. I didn't buy it, cause I already bought a brush recently, the Maseto Avatar. There is a reason why we love our silver tipped badgers. We love those pillow soft hairs, and with solid backbone, to push the lather into the hairs. I had to learn a tough lesson though about NOT buying too cheap a badger brush. I got screwed on that pure badger from MRB, 0 backbone, completely splays out, just a terrible brush, and it had the mildew stench when new.

My silver tipped Maseto Avatar brush however, very soft, solid backbone, good loft size, huge knot, lather soaker upper, like a sea sponge! But nice chubby handle, feels great in the hand, and is just overall gorgeous! But, I wouldn't mind owning that brush in your picture one of these days. 😍
Your badger looks real nice also (blue is my favorite color), I ordered another Yaqi silvertip last week and it has a little longer loft (4-5mm) than the three I showed and reviews indicate the owners are happy with the 24mm black marble handle & the price was right(sale) and of course I bought. I have my new silvertip black marble handle in 2 different synthetic knot brushes and like the feel of the handle in those brushes so odds are I will enjoy my new silver tip also.
Buying online is always a chance of being disappointing but usually it works very well. If you look at what some of the old timers were using (small knot sizes in the 1920's-40's) I think most of us are very lucky in these times to buy quality shave gear from all over the world online.
Last brush for a long time I keep telling my self!:c3:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Your badger looks real nice also (blue is my favorite color), I ordered another Yaqi silvertip last week and it has a little longer loft (4-5mm) than the three I showed and reviews indicate the owners are happy with the 24mm black marble handle & the price was right(sale) and of course I bought. I have my new silvertip black marble handle in 2 different synthetic knot brushes and like the feel of the handle in those brushes so odds are I will enjoy my new silver tip also.
Buying online is always a chance of being disappointing but usually it works very well. If you look at what some of the old timers were using (small knot sizes in the 1920's-40's) I think most of us are very lucky in these times to buy quality shave gear from all over the world online.
Last brush for a long time I keep telling my self!:c3:

Blue is my favorite color too! And I am going to get that brush first chance I get, but for the moment, I have to be responsible, and make sure I can make my first credit payment bill for the Rex Ambassador first, then I will buy that brush. I am glad that you love silver tips! I would expect nothing less from the amazing Ron, who sores through the forum with wings, and says, "Sweet Razor!" as your flying by hehe.

I too also love the look of marble, and its one of the other reasons why I like the handle on the Maseto Avatar, its not just blue, it looks like marble blue. I like brush handles that look like marble, weather real marble or fake, doesn't matter, if its got that marble look, I usually like it. And you are right, the hardware the old timers had back in the 20's 40's, were nowhere near as good as what we have today. We have many more options now.

Newbie here so lmk if this question should go on a separate thread by itself - are silvertips too soft / not enough backbone for use with soap? (NorthernSoul says so above - is that the general consensus?)

Past experience - a pure badger and a synthetic, much prefer the pure badger, and like the backbone but could use with something a bit softer. Didn't like the synthetic at all - sheds and just not a nice feel on the skin. I always use soap

linty1

My wallet cries.
Newbie here so lmk if this question should go on a separate thread by itself - are silvertips too soft / not enough backbone for use with soap? (NorthernSoul says so above - is that the general consensus?)

Past experience - a pure badger and a synthetic, much prefer the pure badger, and like the backbone but could use with something a bit softer. Didn't like the synthetic at all - sheds and just not a nice feel on the skin. I always use soap

It totally depends on the loft of the brush, I -do- like the 3 band silvertips, but also request them set a smidge deeper (depends on my wanted loft) to give them a bit more backbone. Mops are their own joy, but occassionally for me.

I would also point out theres really no such thing as "not enough backbone for soup", you just gotta adjust the approach a little bit, but it's certainly doable, ppl lather with the old badger Kents (mops) on soaps all the time. But I do get what you are trying to say.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I have a pure badger brush, and a 2-band silver tipped badger brush. I can tell you right now, my 2-band silver tipped badger brush, is much higher quality. It didn't stink like my pure badger did when new, and its got much more backbone then my pure badger, and the tips of the brush are softer, offering a less scratchy experience.

But there is a big difference in both the knot and the loft when it comes to different brushes. You don't want a brush that has too high a loft, because then it won't have any backbone, just as my pure badgers has none. And as I've discovered through experience, big knot brushes, such as those in the 30 knot class, soak up all the lather before you've had a chance to whip it up.

I am starting to get the feeling that big knots in the 30 knot class, are probably better suited for face lathering, they seem to do good there, especially considering they are holding all the lather anyways, so that makes a decent deployment of lather on ones face. But if you are a bowl latherer like I am, I hate to say it, but I just don't think 30 knot silver tipped badgers are the best there.

I really think you do need smaller brushes for bowl lathering. And because of my poor experience with trying to bowl and scuttle lather with my big 30 knot brush, I ordered from APShaveCO, a vender on B&B, and I had him make me a custom premium G5C synthetic 24mm brush knot, into a Blue Lagoon handle. Yes I know, starting from real hair badger, and going to synthetic is quite a jump.

But synthetics are known for being good bowl latherer's I believe. And I really want to try out a smaller brush, so I have a feeling, that especially for scuttle lathering, I am probably going to like the custom 24mm brush from APShaveCO more. So will see how it goes. But yes, always be aware of your brush knot size, and your loft size. You don't want a huge loft on a brush, because then it won't have any backbone.

My pure badger, which is a low density brush BTW, it flops flat on its face when you use it, its because the loft is far too high on it, and its got no backbone.

Zenith Silvertip is probably my favorite Silvertip.
But if your looking for a knot only, Strike Gold Shave High Mountain White is hard to beat. IMHO Just as soft as a Silvertip.

Very curious about the silver tip badger brush topic, so glad to see this thread. I've only ever owned one brush, the Edwin Jagger Best Badger, which I've had now for over 10 years. I believe this is the life expectancy for a brush, correct? I need to find a resource to learn about the differences with knots, loft, etc. I'm hoping there's such a resource on B&B? Having no experience with brushes beyond the one I own, I'm not sure what I should go for.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My favorite is the Kent BK8, but I'm not sure they're still in production. I use it in a scuttle, and while I've read differently it would be one big brush for face lathering.

Top Bottom