What's new

Favorite Badger Shaving Brush? (Silver Tip)

I'll soon be in the market to replace an older low end horse hair brush with a higher end brush, preferably silver tip badger.

I am fairly clear on the distinction between brush materials, but am open to elaboration on it if there is some secret I am missing out on in terms of silver tip badger hair being the best quality, but my question is, what is your favorite silver tip badger brush and would you reccomend it to a neophyte? Are there specific brands or signs I should be looking for ordering a good quality brush online?

What size brush are you thinking about? Silvertip is really more about softness instead of quality. Many people prefer finest (two band) or best grade to have a brush with more backbone for use with soaps.

What size brush are you thinking about? Silvertip is really more about softness instead of quality. Many people prefer finest (two band) or best grade to have a brush with more backbone for use with soaps.
I am currently using a pretty small but long horse hair brush that can't be more than an inch in diameter standing up if that makes sense, I would like something soft but yes I do use soaps so if that doesn't do it I would deviate

There are so many choices, but I'll suggest one that I really like. It's the Semogue Owner's Club Finest Badger. Approx 24mm knot with 53mm loft. Can be found for around $60 last time I looked, but on sale sometimes for less. This has some backbone, so works well with hard soaps. Performance is very good.
1649890638133.png

You could also reach out to artisans: Viking Soaps, (Andrew) Trotter (Paul) Prometheus Handcrafts (Levy) Chisel & Hound (Rob) Brad Sears (Brad) ta name a few. They can make a bespoke brush foryou at a very reasonable price.

I would suggest trying one of B & B's supporting vendors that make luxurious brushes in beautiful handles. I have brushes from each of these vendors & can highly recommend them:

Elite Razor
Rudy Vey

They are both knowledgable & able to take you through the difficult process of getting your custom brush made so it performs at the elite level you expect.

I've tried a few makers' silvertip over the years (Simpson, Thater, Shavemac). So far, I've been happiest with Shavemac's 2-band silvertip knots. Enough backbone but the tips are soft (not gel soft) and they get better after about 10 or 12 uses.

There is a lot of variety in the behavior of badger brushes (2-band vs 3-band, fan vs bulb, tall vs short loft). Unless you've tried a bunch of brushes, you might not end up with something you like if you're going by brand or hair grade alone.

You could reach out to a maker (like the B&B Supporting Vendors mentioned above.) You can tell them what you're looking for in terms of feel and performance, and I'm sure they can give you some really good recommendations.

I have a Parker silvertip that I like a lot. Got it on Amazon. Does a great job and cheaper than the Simpson ones (which I also have a couple of and like).

For softness, nothing beats the Thater 3-band. Mine is the 4125/0 bulb knot. It’s advertised as 22mm, but mine is closer to 24mm.
I also love my Simpsons Persian Jar 1 in 2-band, great softness and backbone.
For a larger silvertip, my Simpsons Polo 8 in Super silvertip is a very dense larger knot that is pure luxury. Good luck in your search.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I recommend my Maseto silver tipped badger brush. If you like soft hair with backbone, this one's got it. You can get it in 26, 28, and 30 Knott.

proxy.php

You can get Maseto brushes in different handle styles and brush types. They are high quality brushes.

I'm getting another Rudy Vey here shortly. That will be my 7th. He's easy to talk to, knows his brushes and tools, and does quality work. I recently picked up my second Paladin brush. Those too are outstanding, particularly since the knots are hand tied by the maker.

I love three band silvertips. I would go so far as to say I'm addicted to them. However, I have learned after having given away many brushes that a first time user is usually better off with a two band finest. It will take more abuse which is likely to happen with a first time user. And actually, I'm gaining more respect for a finest badger as well.

I would suggest a little different approach, and one that I took when first getting into badger brushes. I was helped an advisor at West Coast Shaving who suggested a Simpson Colonel X2L in best badger hair. This has an affordable price of around $65 and is very good for both bowl and face lathering. You could consider this an entry level badger brush, but it is still a pleasure to use even after many more higher end badgers have followed.

I would describe the Colonel as a badger brush that does everything pretty good, but maybe not great. Great comes later when I learned how to define it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have had much enjoyment out of my 3 different 24mm Yaqi Silver tip badgers and they are just have a wonderful face feel for the price I paid also.
Might be in the middle of the road for quality>? for some folks but not sure where and just ordered another one last week & that is all for some time hopefully:biggrin1:. The 3 I have all seem a little different face feel and slightly high density side, great lather generators, heavenly pillow soft tips, nice scrub + great lather painters. I own lots of different Yaqi & some Razorock brushes and these Silvertip badger brushes to me are excellent for my needs IMO.
Yaqi Aqua High mountain 24mm silvertip....Yaqi Mysterious space 24mm silvertip.......Yaqi Artic sky 24mm silvertip badger
Yaqi # 1 Aqua 24mm H.M Silvertip badger knot.jpg
Yaqi mysterious space 24mm Silvertip badger.jpg
Yaqi #1 Artic sky 24mm Silvertip.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom