What's new

Favorite Aristocrat?

My aristocrat junior is a #48, with the exact same head as the #21….however it lacks the excellent heft and authoritative balance of the latter…but it shaves exceptionally well….i think i called it the #21 lite on another thread.

So that would make the Aristocrat Junior #51 a lite #16 he he ... Watch out cause if someone concours and the gossip disseminates the prices for those might skyrocket as well ...

I very kind member ( I wont name him unless he wants to take credit) was kind enough to loan me an Executive to compare to the #16 and #21, it arrived today. I plan on using it for the next 3 or 4 shaves and then right my contrast. :001_smile

I very kind member ( I wont name him unless he wants to take credit) was kind enough to loan me an Executive to compare to the #16 and #21, it arrived today. I plan on using it for the next 3 or 4 shaves and then right my contrast. :001_smile
I'll be hopping on the Harley and heading for Alaska soon, Zed, not back until the first week of June - so I'm not in any hurry to get it back, but I am expecting very comprehensive and detailed reviews! <grin>

I'll be hopping on the Harley and heading for Alaska soon, Zed, not back until the first week of June - so I'm not in any hurry to get it back, but I am expecting very comprehensive and detailed reviews! <grin>

Great community!
zed117 and buickrob, looking fwd to read your reviews

Yesterday I only had time for a one pass shave with the 15, which was honestly a fantastic shave for what it was. Today I got to use it for a nice slow three pass using a new Crystal, RR Mr Joe pre soap, CF lavender and PA Chocolate Bourbon. I know that sounds like a strange combo but I wanted the best pre I had and post regardless of scent since this would be my first time really going at it with an OC razor.

It went great, the feel of the razor is great and a few strokes in I was comfortably in control. One side of this razor is a bit more aggressive than the other, hard to see but MAYBE slightly more blade exposure on one side. I'll have to dig into that if I want to fix it. I may not want to fix it though, and here's why. I have lots of trouble with one 2"x2" section of my neck. I can't get too aggressive on my neck, but my checks could be cut by a rusty straight and not get irritated. So, I used the mild side on my neck and it was perfect. Blade runs perfectly parallel so no issues leaving it the way it is. The aggressive side on my cheeks was also wonderful.

The balance and weight were nice, better than my 66. I know it's only a few grams, but it is noticeable. Maybe it is the head weight difference that drives the feel, whatever it is, it works.

So, overall.....this was probably the best shave I've gotten with a Crystal. I do have a bit of irritation on my neck but I went to the aggressive side of this razor for cleanup and just overdid it in one spot. My fault there. I was using Crystals in my 66 and could do whatever, wherever and have no risk. I recently switched to Med Preps in the 66 and they do get closer. I don't think I would use Med Preps in the 15, no need. I really like using the 15, a great nostalgic feel. In the end, cost considered, I could see sticking with the 66 and sharp blades. If they cost the same, it would be 15 all the way I'd say.

Old friends together.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430669278.017965.jpg

Glad to hear your first shave with the #15 went well. I just got mine too and have only had one shave…and what a shave it was…perfect.

Prior to this I had been waxing eloquent about my #21 and both are basically the same but with different comb design.

The #21 is amazing but I enjoyed the #15 more (might be the novelty effect, I'll have to try it more often).

Somehow the 15 feels less aggressive than the 21 when I plough through lather. It may have something to do with the angle I use…I definitely have to use a much steeper angle with the #15…but what amazed me was that I experienced no irritation or post shave distress. I usually dislike open combs but this one I like…a lot!

And I could tell it was an exceptional shave because my cheeks (and neck) were still smooth even at the end of the day.

Question on the #15:

when looking down the barrel i cant see the screw that is usually present in other similar models like the #21...can anyone with a 15 confirm if they can see a screw when they peer down the barrel of their razor....thanks gents.

My tto mechanism works fine so theres no problem...just interested in the build details of this razor

Initial thoughts:

-The Executive is a similar design to the #21 more so than the #16.
- Very lights, feels lighter than my American Arisotcrats. I personally like heavier razors.
-Looks nicer than a #21, more detailed knurling.

I will write a more comprehensive review later with pictures, but, here are my thoughts:

If I am shaving 1 day of growth, the end result is practically identical to the #16, but it feels a bit milder and I really need to focus on blade angle to get a close shave. However while the #16 can mow down three or for days, the Exec. has trouble there.

The nice parts of the executive though is how thick the knurling is as well as the slightly wider handle. All three are great razors, but I might have to say that it was a little to mild for my thick hair. Once I put in a feather though, it was a perfect shave. SO I guess its more dependent on the blade.

Initial thoughts:

-The Executive is a similar design to the #21 more so than the #16.
- Very lights, feels lighter than my American Arisotcrats. I personally like heavier razors.
-Looks nicer than a #21, more detailed knurling.

I will write a more comprehensive review later with pictures, but, here are my thoughts:

If I am shaving 1 day of growth, the end result is practically identical to the #16, but it feels a bit milder and I really need to focus on blade angle to get a close shave. However while the #16 can mow down three or for days, the Exec. has trouble there.

The nice parts of the executive though is how thick the knurling is as well as the slightly wider handle. All three are great razors, but I might have to say that it was a little to mild for my thick hair. Once I put in a feather though, it was a perfect shave. SO I guess its more dependent on the blade.
And that is the fun of experimenting with so many different razors! I'm leaving for Alaska on Sunday, back in 2 weeks, so enjoy it while I'm gone....

Top Bottom