What's new

Favorite All Purpose Gym Shoes?

Alright guys, I've got two pairs of trainers that are simultaneously at the end of their lifespan (Adidas Adizero Bostons and New Balance 1574), so I'm in the market for something that can provide a little stability during deads and squats but also be comfortable enough for a long cardio session immediately post workout. Nothing crazy for cardio, just steady state at an incline on the treadmill, stair master or elliptical. A little jog, if I'm so inclined.

I know some guys swear by Chuck Taylors for lifting shoes, but they aren't so great for long cardio sessions. Besides, I'm not pulling or squatting any crazy insane weight, so meeting specs for heavy duty lifting is secondary for me. I just need a decent all arounder. My work bag is my gym bag, as well, so I'm not looking to carry two pairs of shoes, either.

So far I'm looking at Merrell Trail Gloves, Adidas Sambas or New Balance Minimus. Any others I should be checking out? Notice the theme? A somewhat flatter sole for stability and drive for squats and deadlifts, but nothing that's gonna kill my feet after putting in a few miles. Trying to keep it at $100 or less. Oh, and no Nikes!

Thanks, gents.

I was going to recommend the sambas and then saw it was on your shortlist already

I’ve had a pair or two of them ever since high school. I use them in the gym and runs and of course soccer games on turf.

Why no Nike’s? They have similar to samba shoes that are usually found cheaper.

I was going to recommend the sambas and then saw it was on your shortlist already

I’ve had a pair or two of them ever since high school. I use them in the gym and runs and of course soccer games on turf.

Why no Nike’s? They have similar to samba shoes that are usually found cheaper.

I've just never had any luck with them. It's not a political thing with me, either. They fit me strangely and never lasted. Actually, during my search, the Metcons came so highly recommended that I decided to try on a pair. Very, very narrow toe box. I have duck feet, so they're a no-go for me.

I start a new pair of New Balance 990s every spring. Perfect fit since they make a 4E width. I wear them several times a week for much of the year. By0ne year they have lost all support and are getting a bit tatty.

I prefer New Balance for running shoes. They give a lot of support. I highly recommend choosing a pair that fits your exercise routine. Lifting shoes for weights, running or cross-fit for cardio. You want to take care of your feet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What about a basketball shoe, what i used for ball hockey. Higher ankle cut, flat soles, stable and i could run/sprint in them hard for a couple hour game with no issues. Nikes fit me like glove and worked great so i can't recommend a brand/shoe better suited to your foot.
dave

I’ve got Trail Glove 3s, that are great. Haven’t tried 4s yet. They replaced a couple pair of Minimus 10v3. They aren’t terribly durable, and cost more than the Trail gloves.

The trail gloves have been plenty durable, comfortable all day, and have gone on 10+ mile hikes/walks. I don’t run these days, but should work well enough if you’re used to barefooting.

I own a pair of Nike Lunarlon LunarTempo 2 sneakers and I am very pleased with them. They are incredibly lightweight and comfortable to wear. They also seem to be holding up quite well, though I admit I do not beat them into the ground and I don't wear them on a regular basis. And, I think they look really cool -
Nike Lunartempo 2 Mens Running Shoe  1080_LRG.jpg

I picked my pair up a year ago or so from DSW for under $100.

Tim

I just found out about a brand I never heard of, and their shoes have excellent reviews on Amazon. The brand is Li-Ning and I've tried a pair endorsed by Dwayne Wade and another pair endorsed by a basketball player I've never heard of. Yeah, they're made in China, but so are most of the other brands. I've had it with the Nikes, Addidas, Puma, etc. My shoes were in the $60-$70 range and they make shoes up to $160. I'm so pleased with the ones I bought, I can't see what they could do for $160 to improve on them. Stitching and adhesive is first class. They have something called "Cloud Technology" in the shoes I bought and they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Don't have any idea how they would be for lifts, but for me playing pickleball on a hardwood court, they rock.

I've just never had any luck with them. It's not a political thing with me, either. They fit me strangely and never lasted. Actually, during my search, the Metcons came so highly recommended that I decided to try on a pair. Very, very narrow toe box. I have duck feet, so they're a no-go for me.
The samba are my go athletic shoe either way. Really comfy for me.

I just found out about a brand I never heard of, and their shoes have excellent reviews on Amazon. The brand is Li-Ning and I've tried a pair endorsed by Dwayne Wade and another pair endorsed by a basketball player I've never heard of. Yeah, they're made in China, but so are most of the other brands. I've had it with the Nikes, Addidas, Puma, etc. My shoes were in the $60-$70 range and they make shoes up to $160. I'm so pleased with the ones I bought, I can't see what they could do for $160 to improve on them. Stitching and adhesive is first class. They have something called "Cloud Technology" in the shoes I bought and they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Don't have any idea how they would be for lifts, but for me playing pickleball on a hardwood court, they rock.

Li Ning is quite popular in Asia and they sponsor quite a few badminton and tennis players. Not really surprising that after making shoes for years for Nike, Adidas, etc... that they are able to produce similar quality shoes is it?

So you're a pickelball player eh? you might want to buy Asics, Adidas, Nike shoes on sale. I buy my tennis shoes for under $80 in most cases and almost always get a free pair because all the name brands have a 6 month outsole warranty. I wear nothing but Asics Gel Resolution now.

Nike Flex control. It’s a good cross training shoe that has a bit of stability for squats. If you can find the older version of this grab them. I believe they were called Nike Free cross training shoes.

Interesting. I really like the look of Sambas, and have tried them on lots of times of the decades, but have never found a good fit. Nothing wrong with the brand.

I go to the local shoe store and buy a made in USA pair of New Balance each year. I think the last pair was a model 900 or 990. They were a bit more than $100. I think they were $130. I don’t have a favorite model but they all fit well. Whatever is on sale really.

They will last a full year of walking and working out. I put 3-4 miles a day on them walking. The tread wears down some during this time. They then get demoted to mowing shoes for the following year. They look terrible after those two years of service, but they are still usable when I toss them.

Not fancy, but they last longer than the cheaper shoes that I used to get.

They pass the test so far. I wasn't pulling super heavy deadlifts today, but the flat heel still performed the way it should. It's leg day tomorrow, so we'll see how good they are for squats! I also wore them all day at work and they proved to be very comfortable. Thirteen miles today.

Top Bottom