What's new

Favorite Albums Re-Evaluated

Been thinking about how to frame this post for quite awhile. But, in essence, has anyone had a really beloved, favorite musicial album, that after a time, one really changed his mind about? That is, there came a time when it was just not that special anymore and one might even wonder what they ever saw it. I guess I would say the album to not have to go all the way to bad. Let's just say it was no longer the fav album by a particular artist or something.

Or, for that matter, has anyone gone the other way with an album. An album--I suppose it has to be an album of some popularity/renown--at one point seemed insipid, or outright bad, or of no interest whatsoever, but later, perhaps years later, came to seem really special to one?

I suppose either scenario could happen with a particular artist, too.

I am trying to stay away from just really popular and/or critically acclaimed albums that a particular person happens not like from the get go. Although I think some cheating is reasonable. Say an album that many thought was great and that you may have mouthed that it was great, while still having some reservations.

I think it has to be an album, too. Not just a single cut. Too easy to get sick to death of a single song from say repetitive play on the radio or every bar one went to in a time period.

And--this one is even harder to articulate--ever have an album you once really, really liked, but there came a time when you thought you really did not like it anymore and that you personally had overrated it, but then you went back and actually listened to it again and it seemed as great as ever?

In any of these instances, what do you think was going on for you? Did you out grow the music? Perhaps grow into the music? Get sick of it from over play? or perhaps music that came later was imitative and you got sick of the entire genre. Or perhaps the music was ahead of its time when released? or did you change, become a different person, so hear the music with different ears? or did you just convince yourself that the music was good?

I actually surprise myself that most of my favorite albums completely hold up to me after all of these years! I guess I have not grown up or matured at all, and have grown into nothing!

But I have a few examples:

Pet Sounds--Brian Wilson under color of the Beach Boys. Often said to be a masterpiece. Said to be the inspiration, at least in part for Sargent Peppers. I probably would for a very long time have said that PS is among my very favorite albums. Has been frequently enough ranked the best or second best rock album of all time. Highly influential.​

So, is it really that great an album? Not really, and on this one i probably had some subliminal misgivings about it all along. Rambing on, to break it down: The four cuts that open and close each album side pretty darn good, if not absolute works of pop genius. "Wouldn't It Be Nice," great Beach Boys tune. "Sloop John B" great Beach Boys song, and, to me starting to show signs of something truly great. "God Only Knows," now we are getting into genius level. "Caroline, No," we are at genius level, and it sure as heck is not because an important instrument in the early part of the song is an empty plastic bottle. Note there is interesting stuff going on in the music, but we do not exactly have tracks filled with cacaphony of dogs barking, and bicycle bells, that the rest of the album is jam packed with. So other cuts. "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)" not bad. "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" more than decent. Virtually the rest of the album, do people really, honestly put the PS on and play it first cut to last? It has been a very long time since I have done that. Very dated sounding, very busy, not enticing sound effects, with two of perhaps the very best cuts ever recorded starting and finishing the second side, and really good cuts opening and closing the first side.

I know this is sacrilege, but I do not think this is all that great an album. When we thought a fully formed, finished Smile was going to come out and definitively pull it all together and show Brian to be a transcendent genius, PS seemed to be a taste of the greatness to come. But Smile never really worked out. PS was a precussor to "Good Vibrations" and that was about it. (I realize that "GV" was being worked on around the time of PS and could have been on PS

A different situation with Joni Mitchell'sCourt and Spark though. A long time most favorite album of mine, I got to thinking I had really overrated it. To many, big brassy jazz licks. Too many precussors to Joni's efforts to be a jazz man. What are cuts like "Raised on Robbery" even doing on the album? Or "Twisted"? Isn't "Court and Spark" a bit over blown? "Car on a Hill" a well stretched out metaphor. Also, way overplayed. However, actually listening to the album, it really is that good. And the most transcendent part to me is "Peoples' Parties" transitioning to same situation. Music, lyrics, voices, recording come together to produce something that profoundly affects me still. And most of the other cuts are extremely good. If this album had never been released, and came out tomorrow by a no name performer, my estimate it that it would hit number one on the charts and stay there for a while. [In retrospect to me "Blue" is the Joni album and I would make a case for "For the Roses" being her second best and second most important album.]​

For anyone still reading, I will give an example of a performer: Karen and Richard Carpenter. Back in the day, I am sure I thought their stuff was commercial crap, and that record companies could at the snap of fingers generate as good a material song by as good a vocalists as KC, and there was not need to pay attention to these goody two shoes. However, it turns out that vocalists of that quality doing material of that quality do not pour out of record companies after all. And cleancut does not necessarily mean bad music.​
Sorry for the length and I am sure typos!

I have to agree with you about The Carpenters. As I grow older I seem to appreciate the quality of their music more than I did 25 yrs. ago when my Mum liked them and I, almost on reflex, looked upon them with disdain.

I also notice, as I look at my music on iTunes, that I have few, if any, albums of popular performers post 1989. Not having any teenagers in my daily life has largely insulated me from the music of today, something I don't regret to any great extent.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Many albums (CDs) just refuse to go away like; Eat a Peach, Green River, Abbey Road, Get Yer Ya-Yas Out, Layla, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and the list goes on and on.

When you go into some of the lesser-known works of some artists or at least some of the not-so-popular albums at the time of their original release, sometimes they tend to grow on you.

I had been listening to McCartney's "Red Rose Speedway" in my car for a month or so and although it is recognized as an "ok" album, it's one I never really gave a chance, I have a new found appreciation for. On this album you can still hear some backward tape loops giving a nod to his Beatle past, a cleaner, more produced sound as he is now leaving the much rawer, home-spun production of "Ram" behind and you begin to hear the foundation for "Band on the Run".

This album I think falls into one of the categories you've mentioned.

Another is Paul Simon's "There Goes Rhymin' Simon". An album that is recognized as a very good recording but one I never really gave a good listen too. Hits like Kodachrome and Loves Me Like a Rock were certainly enjoyable enough but it wasn't until much later that I really came to enjoy some of the others like Take Me to the Mardi Gras, St. Judy's Comet or Something So Right.

A great transition album leaving behind the Simon & Garfunkel days and really on the verge of becoming a solo superstar with the smash album "Still Crazy After All These Years" a couple of years away and "Graceland" on the horizon.

It's these transition albums that perhaps didn't get much of chance when they were first released because they didn't reflect the sound of the artist previously and it wasn't quite the sound of what they were to become. It is these types of recordings that tend to get lost in the shuffle and get "rediscovered".

The Band's "Rock of Ages", for me, is a good example. This live recording often gets overshadowed due to the off-the-charts success of "The Last Waltz". After buying a remastered version of "Rock Of Ages" and giving it some extended listening time, I find this album to be much better than the over-blown "Waltz" album and a better representation of The Band live, imo.

Bands/Artists that have extensive catalogs are a treasure trove of overlooked gems. Delve into Van Morrison's catalog or late-Seventies, early-Eighties Stones.

Another example of a transition album is the Stones' "Black and Blue". At the time of its release it wasn't an overwhelming success by Stones standards but time (although it waits for no one :wink:) has been kind to this disc. Ronnie Wood's first outing post-Faces and the Stones sorting through the personnel change and generating classics like Memory Motel, Fool to Cry and Hand of Fate. They get Jah-may-can with Cherry Oh Cherry, they get gritty on Crazy Mama, they get bluesy on Melody. It is perhaps one of the most eclectic collection of songs the Stones ever put out and yet it is a recording that generally gets overlooked.

So... what was the original question? :biggrin:

And as for the Carpenters... How many of you cried when Old Yeller got shot? C'mon, put your hands up. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Great thread idea!

Crosby, Stills & Nash (#1) has stood the test of time. I loved it when it was first issued. I love it now.

I also loved Jefferson Airplane, back in the day. Still great! Grace is an animal!

All the Doors albums have aged badly. I was a big fan, at one time. These are embarrassments now.

I have found that I am enjoying Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" now more than I did during my drug crazed youth when it first came out. :a39:

For me the album would be The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy and the Lash, I remember hearing it for the first time and listening to it over and over again. The was about 20 years ago. But the thing is I could still sit and listen to it over and over again today.

Robbie,

I have an almost opposite take on Pet Sounds. I wasn't a Beach Boy fan in the late 60s and early 70s. I had never listened to PS until about seven years ago. I had received the CD and hadn't really listened to it straight through. One late evening, I was sitting in my favorite leather chair with a glass of Macallan 25 year old scotch. I had my chair in that perfect spot between a pair of Magnepan speakers that does something special to the soundstage of a well made CD. The lights were off and I was listening as opposed to reading while the music played in the background. I remember thinking to myself, "I get it". This was music as art, deeply personal and moving. Although not my absolute favorite (Beatles Revolver), it became and remains one of my favorites. When the CD had ended, I set the scotch down, walked over to the CD player, and played it again.

In the Beatles heyday, I listened to them on the radio, but didn't buy any of their records. So, I knew about "I Want To Hold Your Hand" kind of songs. And, while I liked them, I liked other groups also.

I was making out on a couch with my girlfriend, and my sister put on Abbey Road in the background. She turned the album over when side one finished, and I listened to the album in entirety without knowing who I was listening to. Somehow, something sifted thru my sex-besotted brain. When the music stopped, I asked my sister who the group was.

That is when I found out that there were two Beatle bands. A good band that played cute songs until Sgt Peppers, and a musical genius level Beatles band!

Give me Abbey Road or give me death!

So much good stuff in this thread. Can't respond to a tenth of what I would like to!

Really thought I would be ruffling more feathers taking on Pet Sounds! If you are listening to it straight throw mdevine, fair enough. I just suspect that most folks are not! "Caroline, No" just tears my heart out. "God Only Knows," too. Carl Wilson just kills on the latter. And the music on both is far from oridinary, for the time or ever!

The Doors' first album is still one of my most favorite of all time. What embarasses you exactly DavyRay?

Sinatra tends to sound better as one matures, for sure!

Yes, I cried when Old Yeller got shot!

Abbey Road is a great, album, but flawed. Did we really need "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" or "Octopuss's Garden" or even "Come Together" or "She's So Heavy" or "She's So Heavy," and that names the entire first side, but for the all important, transcedent, one of the best songs ever written, "Something." The entire second side of the album, though, is sweet perfection!

"Black and Blue" has a few songs that are good songs, and that have been done better by the Stones in later versions. I thought "It's Only Rock and Roll" was underrated. But I do not think this one was!

Karen Carpenter's voice was just that good, to me!

CSN and Airplane remain solid.

The Band's "Rock of Ages", for me, is a good example. This live recording often gets overshadowed due to the off-the-charts success of "The Last Waltz". After buying a remastered version of "Rock Of Ages" and giving it some extended listening time, I find this album to be much better than the over-blown "Waltz" album and a better representation of The Band live, imo.

I agree.

The Last Waltz was not the Band's greatest live work by a long shot. Keeping in mind that it was a deliberately glitzy set up for a film, that the band members were in a state of warfare and that lots of chemicals were in their blood streams, it's not a surprise that this is less than their best performance-wise.

So much to think about. I am probably irredeemable and should be really listening to some of this stuff, but I basically just do not like Paul Simon or Paul McCartney's solo work. Not entirely true, certain Paul Simon cuts blow me away, but overall I am just not attacted to him, and Band on the Run was a pretty darn album top to bottom. I feel about their solo careers about the same way I feel about Bruce Springsteen's non solo accoustic work and Mick Jagger's solo work. How the heck does a group record "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and then break up? How does Paul Simon go from "Only Living Boy In New York," a near love song to Art G, to being so estranged?

Talk about an album that holds up. I thought I was pretty much tired of "Bridge Over Troubled Water," that it was dated and over blown. But I was wrong. "Only Living Boy" in particular sounds just as good or better than ever. Amazing album. I probably have heard the title cut a bit too often.

LarryAndro: I suggest you may want to listen to some Rubber Soul and Revolver and see if you do not have some of the same feelings about those albums. Then back track in time from there and see if you don't find some things you like in those albums. I have more mixed feelings about Sargent P and the White album. Either might be a good addition to this thread actually. Somehow my feeling re the former is that the Beatles did incredible work with some very weak material. Not all the material was weak, but "Lovely Rita" for instance? "Fixing a Hole"? Those seem like weak, weak songs to me, but what the Beatles recorded for them remains amazing.

Rum, Sodomy and the Lash is an incredible album Absolutely holds up and is even better than ever. The Pogues were just great. Maybe "are" great.

"Rock of Ages" is probably a good call. I have not heard it for a long time. The Band was not always good live. I saw them live once when they should have been at their peak, and they were not very good. This was a band that had the experience, etc. to be extraordinarily good live. I assume that they often were and just sort of phoned it in that night. I have rarely been so disappointed. Little Feat was another instance where I was.

"Last Waltz" was too much Robbie Robertson and not enough The Band. Although I have to say that one of the coolest musical things I have ever seen is when in the middle of a song Eric Clapton breaks a string and in mid-flight so to speak, Robbie R takes over the lead and plays better than Clapton, but in a seamless transition.

I have not gone back to listen, but in my mind, Cream's work original work does not seem as good as it did at the time. Lots of reasons for that aside from the work, perhaps. For a group made of supposed superstars, no one but Clapton did all that much after the group broke up, and I can barely stand Clapton's solo work. (His tour with Stevie Winwood was incredible though. Perhaps EC's best work ever.) And I do not think their reunion tour of a few years ago did their legend any favors.

Talk about albums that hold up--to me all Traffic does even the most over the top psychedelic stuff which should seem very dated, and Low Spark is much better than I gave it credit at the time, and Blind Faith is even better than I thought at the time and I thought it was wonderful.

Little Feat holds up incredibly well to me. Ahead of their time to me. L George was a genius and that was/is one heck of a band.

Miles was good. He holds up for sure.

Little Feat holds up incredibly well to me. Ahead of their time to me. L George was a genius and that was/is one heck of a band.

My all time favorite band. Got to chew the fat with Bill Payne a few years ago before their concert (Lowell Historic Park).

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I think most Band-fans would be agreement about Rock of Ages vs. The Last Waltz.

A great scene from The Last Waltz shows Robbie Robertson reminiscing about Ronnie Hawkins phoning him up and asking him (along with the Band) to be his backing band. (They would subsequently be called The Hawks.)

As Robertson recalls, Hawkins told him:

"You won't make alot of money but you'll get more p**** then Sinatra."

Those crazy rockers. God love 'em. :lol:

In the Beatles heyday, I listened to them on the radio, but didn't buy any of their records. So, I knew about "I Want To Hold Your Hand" kind of songs. And, while I liked them, I liked other groups also.

I was making out on a couch with my girlfriend, and my sister put on Abbey Road in the background. She turned the album over when side one finished, and I listened to the album in entirety without knowing who I was listening to. Somehow, something sifted thru my sex-besotted brain. When the music stopped, I asked my sister who the group was.

That is when I found out that there were two Beatle bands. A good band that played cute songs until Sgt Peppers, and a musical genius level Beatles band!

Give me Abbey Road or give me death!

Larry, I know exactly what you're talking about. The moment they turned to making their own music and not trying to please the masses with pop hits they became legends.

And on vinyl, it's meant to be listened to side 1 and 2. CDs/MP3s have killed the enjoyment of enjoying an entire album. people only care about the hit singles these days. Most albums today only have 1 or 2 good songs. That's why I like bands like Coheed and Cambria because each song is connected telling a story about a group of characters. You have to listen to the whole album to realize whats happening next in the story.

I think most Band-fans would be agreement about Rock of Ages vs. The Last Waltz.

A great scene from The Last Waltz shows Robbie Robertson reminiscing about Ronnie Hawkins phoning him up and asking him (along with the Band) to be his backing band. (They would subsequently be called The Hawks.)

As Robertson recalls, Hawkins told him:

"You won't make alot of money but you'll get more p**** then Sinatra."

Those crazy rockers. God love 'em. :lol:

I remember that scene well. BTW, no one read me wrong! The Band is one of my all time favorite groups. The thing I dislike most about Last Waltz is, as I recall, Richard Manuel cannot be seen in any shot of The Band playing, even though, of course he was fully there playing at that concert. For Sorcese to let that happen seems bizarre. It just is not The Band without Richard. Sorcese did appear to be a little too fascinated with Robbie Robertson alone when making that film. Love that band!

Love Little Feat, too. More with Lowell, but without, too. Just a heck of a band.

Top Bottom