What's new

Favorite Aftershave Base

What aftershave do you like on your skin no matter what the scent

• Thermopylae: nothing (my soap gives what I want, and I will die on this hill)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 2021 Grocery Store (e.g. Brut, Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Proraso, Gillette... local store offering)

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Floid (old, new, genuine...)

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Stirling

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Barrister & Mann

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Chatillon Lux

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Pinaud

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lucky Tiger

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Other (I really hope this is the #1 answer and people share their opinions)

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters
Forgive me if this is an old thread in some fashion. Given how many soap manufacturers make a similar or variation on a scent, and there is so so so much talk about soap A vs soap Z in terms of performance, I am not aware of a talk about aftershave performance, irrespective of scent.

In other words, what's the best aftershave if scent is taken out of the equation? It can be scented (my Fine Accoutrements is so much better than Floid, etc.), but I'm really wondering about how an aftershave works on your face. Some people may want a skin food feel, some more of a clean, alcohol burn. Some maybe want both.

By asking the question, I'm really just hoping we can all share our opinions on this. I will start this with a poll, but it's really just to start everyone talking and not meant as a 'top' anything by any means (just saying, my favorite aftershave is actually unscented but with lots of added menthol):

Ethos Grooming, Maol, and Chatillon Lux are my favorites. But B&M, Stirling and Chiseled Face are also very good.

Hands down Myrsol, for me. I have oily skin and Myrsol has no glycerin or oils in it. So, no sticky or oily feeling.

Myrsol also has the perfect amount of menthol, offer a nice range of scents and very cool vintage style bottles.

My favorite is Plastic Shave, but I also enjoy very much Antesol, Blue, Agua Balsamica, Agua de Limon and Formula K

For a splash, I think it's hard to find anything better than Saponificio Varesino. (for me) It's a pity that they only offer cologne type scents, would love them to release some more 'simple' scent profiles..

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well, supposing this means a splash and not a balm...

Definitely got to read the ingredients. I add glycerin to alcohol-based AS that don't have (Clubman).

From the maker, though. There's aloe gel and glycerin in Southern Witchcrafts; I notice the difference.

AA

I voted for Floid, but I could have voted for any of the other options (except Lucky Tiger, which I have never used).

I have always finished a shave (even during my cart years) with an alcohol based splash and then a little Nivea cream (not the saving stuff, the one in the blue containers). Performance was never important to me since whatever dryness is caused by the aftershave is then fixed by the Nivea.

If I could not use any Nivea after a shave then I would probably splash some Saponificio Varesino, Maol Grooming or Chatillon Lux. All three are long lasting as an added bonus.

My favorite aftershaves (with a little Nivea) are Floid Vigoroso and Crown Shaving Co. Tonic.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I always use Lucky Tiger for the skin food ingredients and after that dries, I put on a splash that's a bit more strongly scented. I consider Lucky Tiger part of my post shave routine.

My boys and I love proraso splash but it’s not sold in stores around here. I order it online. Maybe a beauty/barber supply store or Canada(30 minutes north of us)? Sometimes I use thayers WH. Nivea balm is my winter go to.

Ethos : use the Clean Skin Food Splash almost daily. Always leaves me feeling good hours later no matter the performance of the soap

I prefer the Gabel's aftershaves because, for the most part, the scents DON'T linger. I like the aftershave to be refreshing, and then gone in half an hour. I'm on the look out for more of those.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
For skin care, Speick, Myrsol or LA Toja. Add scent to the equation and the various amber Floids do it for me. I also find Stephans bay rum has excellent skin care properties and a terrific fleeting scent.

Top Bottom