What's new

Favorite 3-band Silvertip Knot

I haven't owned a three-band silvertip knot for a couple of years and would like to try one again. What's your favorite 3-band these days and why?

Thanks!

I would say either Thater or Shavemac for the quality and consistency of the knot shapes. There are a lot of good value silvertips or there but in my experience the knots shapes are less than perfect and the often are shredders.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Shavemac. Soft, and great flow through. I considered selling it, as I like a bit more face feel. The flow through and just great general performance means it’s not going anywhere.

Shavemac or Thater, pretty much for the same reason as above. Consistent knots and beautifully sculpted. I have noticed the Thater brushes I've bought have come in overlofted but I'll set them where I want them.

I only have Rooneys and Thater in 3-band silvertip. I love the Thater silvertip, but you need to go 1-2 sizes up with a Thater. Because of Thater's tight bulb, their 22mm (3-band) feels much smaller than my 22mm Rooney 3-bands and it doesn't hold as much lather. While my 22mm Thater is fine for creams or softer soaps, I prefer my 24 or 26mm 2-band Thaters for face-lathering hard soaps. One of these days I'd like to try a 24-26mm Thater or Shavemac 3-band.

Don't know what you used before, I love my two badger brushes: a Stirling Two Band Finest Fan and the Captain's Choice Silvertip (Bulb shape). I like them both, but the CC silvertip generates a nicer lather. The CC silvertip is a three band (hence this post). I previously had synthetics and an Omega boar so I didn't know how to properly use the badger brushes and used far too much pressure on the CC silvertip. The backbone isn't bad, but there definitely isn't as much as my previous brushes or the Stirling 2 band, which I was compensating for. This excessive pressure caused a shedding issue which has since completely resolved with less pressure applied through the knot. The handle is quite nice, with the Captain's Choice emblem on the bottom. The knot may not be a high end knot, but I thoroughly enjoy it. Good flow through, very soft, no scritch, and as I mentioned above it creates a very nice lather. Slickest lathers of any of my brushes.

Out of the ones I used before, Shavemac and Savile Row were in fact my favourites. I tried a Thater but found it to be a bit of a lather hog - but only tried it once and it was a 22mm - and felt smaller as the previous poster mentioned. I also found it to be the softest of any knot I've tried - pretty much no face feel whatsover, which felt a bit weird at the time but might be something I'd appreciate more now.

Have also tried a variety of other makes but none have been as good as the Shavemacs or Saville Row.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The Simpson Chubby 1 Super. Amazing knot, amazing density, amazing face lathering brush.

The Simpson Chubby 1 Super. Amazing knot, amazing density, amazing face lathering brush.
I was going to say the Chubby 1 Super as well, or as an alternative, the Simpson Tulip 2 in Super if you desire a longer handled brush.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I was going to say the Chubby 1 Super as well, or as an alternative, the Simpson Tulip 2 in Super if you desire a longer handled brush.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For a longer handled Simpson I'd also certainly add the Polo 8 Super. ;)

Elite High Mountain White in 26 mm. Above medium density, extremely soft tips, and can whip up a lather like no ones business. Hooked on bulbs, just started with Bob Quinn's fans. Just Awesome.

My current rotation includes the following Simpsons 3 bands (all excellent IMO): Duke 3, Classic 2, Chubby 1, 57 and Wee Scott (all in Simpsons best) and a Tulip 2 (in super). I would definitely recommend any of these.

Thanks to all who have replied so far - much appreciated!

I'm looking for the softest tips without the knot becoming floppy.

Vie Long 16510 with a flat top knot is great and at the moment my only 3-band silvertip. Not too soft and more than enough backbone for soaps and face lathering.

Scritch, this is the last brush I made with a DO-1 silver tip (Shavemac)with a flat top knot (25mm). This is a big knot because of it having the flat top design, if I remember correctly I lofted it at 44mm. It has good back bone, very soft tips and very good flow through. I would recommend a smaller knot (22mm) unless your a big knot fan.

Thanks Oscar - great brush - I had only ever seen 2-band flat tops. Although I did have a Rooney Heritage 3-band that was about halfway between a fan and flat top.

Both. I face lather so I'll use circular working up the lather and usually finish with paint brush strokes to finish applying lather but I'd use the same technique if I was using a boar. The DO-1 2 band is a totally different animal. I've had the flat top in the DO-1 2 band also. Actually, I've had all of the hair types that Shavemac offers.
I've kept a silver tip bulb, silver tip 2 band, a pure and the silver tip DO-1 above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom