What's new

Favorite 1/2 DE blade for Focus Slim?

Just got my first shavette today: a green aluminum Focus Slim. Any tips on what snapped half blade to start with? I have some experience with traditional straights, so I’m not too worried about shredding my face. But not sure whether to start with one of my DE favorites (Nacet, 7 O’clock yellow) or something milder (Dorco, Derby).

Thanks for any guidance!

Actually I find DE blades to be too short for a shavette for my liking. For some reason they just seem more interested in cutting my skin as opposed to my stubble.

In answer to your question though, I suspect that whatever works well in a DE razor should also be fine for your shavette. Among my shavettes is the Dovo in which I am using the Dovo long blades. These are basically a DE blade that is double length.

My recomendation is to choose comfort first. Half DE shavettes can be scary compared to Feather style and Straight Razors (this last one I don't have any experience with).
I don't have the Focus Slim, my half DE shavette is a KureNai and I enjoy shaving with it.
I don't have a lot of experience with it but the blades I tend to favor are in the middle of efficiency, Derby Usta and recently tried Bolzano with very good results.
I did try a Derby Extra and I remember being pleasantly surprised by the comfort but wasn't quite there in efficiency. This is a blade I want to revisit as I have a little more experience now.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have a Parker SRX but am also interested to hear your thoughts on the Focus.

Part of my motivation for picking up the Parker was that I have a lot of Astra SP blades. My favourite! I've come to agree with what others have said: a blade that works well in a DE razor may not work well in a shavette or barber razor. But out in the country with a box of Astras; what are ya gonna do?

Like Astras always are for me, they're a little grabby right outta the wrapper. With the Focus you likely won't want to stone the corners to cut down on the sticks (that's a point on which I'd like your observations). Once they have a shave or so on them I find they mellow out a bit. Still exploring that, though.

O.H.

My Focus Slim came with a Zaza Super Stainless thrown in. I’m not sure if that was an implicit recommendation on that particular blade (which I’d never tried before in any razor), but I started with it.

No blood, but some irritation and mediocre results, no doubt mainly due to poor technique. My straight skills are rusty, and even if they weren’t, this shavette is a different beast.

Second shave with the Zaza was better, but yesterday I tried my current DE go to blade: the 7 O’clock SharpEdge yellow. Results were better still. I’m sure some of that was due to my improving technique, but I’m giving some credit to the blade as well.

Addressing a point (ha!) raised by @Old Hippie: no need to stone the blade’s corners with this shavette.

After a few more goes with the SharpEdge (which lives up to its name, imo) I’ll want to try something a little mellower which for me may be a Personna.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I picked up a Focus and have been grooving on it for the last couple of weeks.

Sometimes when things aren't working it's the blade. Sometimes it's the razor. Obviously changing blades is generally less expensive than changing the razor, but sometimes you gotta get a little lateral.

I've been having excellent shaves with the Focus using my standard DE blade, the Astra SP. That makes me happy that I can use blades I keep around in job lots for the slants.

O.H.

I am using Wilkinson Sword Indian blades (snapped in half) in my Parker SRX and SRB Shavettes and it gives me really smooth and comfortable BBS every time. I have also tried Feather, Nacet, Voskhod and BIC Chrome Platinum in my shavettes but I like Wilkinson Swords over all these blades. YMMV !

Top Bottom