What's new

Faux Tortoise w/ TGN silvertip

First go at turning poly went fine so decide to cut some faux tortoise next. Got a nice knot from a kind member who posted it for sale in the BST. I think he said it was a grade A silvertip from TGN. It is about 24mm knot with nice splay and feel. Handle is simple again but has a profile/feel that I tend to prefer in brushes.

In hindsight, I wonder if after I drilled the hole for the knot if I should have gone down a size or two forstner and continued to hollow out the handle. The drilled portion shows the tortoise pattern better without getting close to light. Not sure if it is because it allows more light transmission or the interior provides backing color to show the pattern. In normal lighting it is mostly brownish looking except near the knot where drilled. But so far pretty happy with the results.

D8BB0400-8A86-4045-A3D2-ECE5B50B7AE9.jpeg
EF22FC0A-3AEE-4691-AD82-A34AAD7412C8.jpeg
D159473C-E8B1-435C-A972-753E43823D8B.jpeg
E0C5BD69-30FF-4BDA-91EC-C78823D20740.jpeg

Looks good! Unfortunately, that happens with the faux tortoise blanks and I think it's just as it thins out, the clarity of the resin becomes more apparent. Nice work

Nice job! FYI if you do drill further down next time the epoxy will show. The work around is to paint the inside of the hole before setting the knot (a trick us pen turners do before gluing in the brass tubes). IME black is the best color, it brings out the colors in a way you wouldn’t believe. I realize that’s contrary to what one may think, but it’s true. Different colors of paint will make it look like a completely different blank was used too, so brown would give a different effect than black.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Very nice work. My Simpson tortoiseshell handles are drilled very deep and I like the way that not only better reveals the tortoiseshell pattern, but also shows just how deeply Simpson knots are set as it is just possible to see the knot shape through the handle.

Very nice work. My Simpson tortoiseshell handles are drilled very deep and I like the way that not only better reveals the tortoiseshell pattern, but also shows just how deeply Simpson knots are set as it is just possible to see the knot shape through the handle.
If you dont mind me asking, What would you say the depth is on your Simpson tortoise? And which model is it? Trying to get a feel for what might be the max depth for knot restorations. Thanks.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you dont mind me asking, What would you say the depth is on your Simpson tortoise? And which model is it? Trying to get a feel for what might be the max depth for knot restorations. Thanks.
I have two Simpson tortoiseshell brushes as follows: Wee Scot - handle height 30mm, drilled to depth 17mm, Chubby 1 - handle height 39mm, drilled to depth 27mm. Note the drill depth is just measured by eye, holding the handle against a tape measure and in front of a bright light.

My Chubby 2 has a 44mm opaque butterscotch handle so I cannot see the knot but I have read it is drilled with a conical hole to a depth of 28mm at the rim and 35mm at the centre. Good luck with your restoration.

20210125_140804.jpg

20210125_140740.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent, thank you. I dont think Im gonna worry too much about depth now. Just drill to meet desired loft. I was thinking too deep wouldnt allow knot to dry, but not so much after seeing how deep the Simpson’s are.

Top Bottom