What's new

Faux Tortoise Shell for an Unknown Razor

Recently I was sent this razor, which was obviously in need of some restoration.
The blade was covered with years of gunk & grime, and the scales cracked at both pins.
proxy.php

After a good initial cleaning, the blade was in pretty good shape— 5/8" carbon steel ,hollow ground, hollow notch, double-shouldered, lower jimps and felt of solid, good quality.
proxy.php

The make was unknown to me and still remains a mystery...
proxy.php

New scales of faux tortoise shell (.118"), amber wedge, nickel-silver pins with brass washers, brass inner bearing washers. Honed on Chosera 1k, Naniwa 5k, Nagura progression on a Shoubudani asagi. Very smooth, keen edge!
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm amazed at the before and after pictures of that blade. I would of assumed that one to be lost. I always admire restores that abide to classic craftsmanship.

~Royce

I'm amazed at the before and after pictures of that blade. I would of assumed that one to be lost. I always admire restores that abide to classic craftsmanship.
~Royce
I didn't have high hopes for it when I saw the early photos of the blade. After looking at it in person, I was still dubious of what lay underneath all the gunk. Fortunately, most of the build-up was superficial with only very minor pitting in a few spots.

I didn't have high hopes for it when I saw the early photos of the blade. After looking at it in person, I was still dubious of what lay underneath all the gunk. Fortunately, most of the build-up was superficial with only very minor pitting in a few spots.

[emoji106]

~Royce

absolute incredible craftsmanship! its one of those you can just stare at for a while lol. by the way where did you get your turtle from? ive been looking around and havnt pulled the trigger on any yet but that stuff is beautiful . the colors and shading. anyway thanks again for sharing its absolutely stunning bringing garbage back to life!

Top Bottom