What's new

Faux Pas of the week.

Have you stuck your foot in your mouth recently? ~ or ~ more politely, a 'Faux Pas'?

Share your embarrassing moment, here's mine:

New neighbors moved in across the street, an older retired couple. I just met the wife earlier this week, a very nice elderly lady. While talking in my open garage, a car appeared to attempt zero to sixty, in the length of our court.

I remarked to her, 'I've seen that car do that before.' 'What an idiot, I moved into a court to avoid that and live where it's safe for my Grandkids to play and still can't get away from Moron drivers'. 'I wonder who that is?'

She didn't say anything for a moment then said, 'That's my Grandson, he lives with us'.

I'm sure she was as embarrassed as I was.
Sue

Omg! I am laughing my tail off..! Yes, I can commiserate... But I'm not sharing... yet... ! ;-)

Sometimes being the best you can be just isn't enough... it doesn't make you any less human or any less loved....

Sue (the other Sue, Mama Bear), who MIGHT share a story...soon, I swear it!!

Hugs to Sue

Mama Bear.

Hey Sue Hey Sue !
You Ladies are up late tonight (or up early?) Sue at least your neighbor will know you are the kind of person that calls em' likes you sees em' I would love to be a fly on the wall when they sit down to dinner after your comment about his driving! Take care, Jim

A bit embarassing maybe. Still, I'm sure that you were correct and maybe it will all end up for the best. The lady probably agreed with you that his driving needs to tone down. I bet the two of you get along well in the end,

MJB

Jim,
My ears will probably burn for a bit :)

MJB,
I hope you are correct as she is a very nice person. It's not her fault her grandson needs to try the quarter mile at the Speedway. I can only hope she understood.

Sue

The first time I ever water ski'd, I was able to stand up momentarily and then promptly fell over against a wave. The next get-up wasn't too smooth and I remember the handle rubbing against my bathing suit, but I made it up and did quite well... showing off with one hand and waving to all of the other boaters.

I remember thinking, "Gee, the folks up here don't seem all that friendly. They're just kind of looking at me rather strange."

It was a little after that when I discovered that my bathing suit was ripped open and the water spray kept me from noticing.

People were seeing things that only my delivery stork had seen.

I laughed harder than the people driving the boat did.

-joedy

Joedy,
My cheeks hurt from laughing so hard !!
That was hilarious!
Thanks for sharing that one............too funny.
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
Sue

I never have embarrasing moments myself...

I can tell you about someone else's though, and I don't think they ever knew about it!

Several years ago, I lived in a small Cotswold village about seven miles from Cheltenham. There is another town, originally built by the Romans, not far away called Cirencester (pronounced sirensester).

Anyway, a few yards from my house was a T junction and the direction signs, although correct, seemed to point in the wrong direction for anyone with a sense of direction. Cars frequently stopped at the junction and got their road maps out.

Now it was a warm summer's evening and I was sat on the wall with the next door neighbour, Jeff, having a beer or two. A car pulls up at the junction, the maps come out, then a head comes out of the car and in a broad American accent, asks "Excuse me sir" (Always polite, the American in Britain) "can you tell me the way to Circumcester?" :w00t:

Now my neighbour Jeff was Jewish and he just fell off the wall laughing! He was also wincing a little too.

Biting my lip and crossing my legs, I pointed them in the right direction...

Gareth

In my early days working for Amtrak I was a Train Attendant stationed on an old Santa Fe car heading from Los Angeles to Seattle WA.
These old cars were 2 level with a room in the bottom for the attendant to sleep in and prepare for the work that day.
I had just awakened and went to head for the Men's room when I noticed a large man in the vestibule smoking and enjoying the sunrise and scenery.

I did a double take because this man looked familiar. Sure enough he was someone I recognized.

"Excuse me, Sir. But arent you.....Tom Brokaw?" I asked, celeb-shocked.

"No. I'm afraid not." He replied.
"I'm Tom

SNYDER!!!" :blushing: :blushing:
But dont worry about it. That happens all the time."

Lucky for me my room was so close. I hid from my embarrassment for the rest of the trip.

While in college I was visiting my grandmother--mooching a free lunch is more like it :biggrin: --when this beautiful, *very* busty young girl came over to do some gardening for her.

A few days later I was back after school and one of my grandmother's friend was over for coffee. She mentioned the girl who was doing work for my grandmother, and I made some tasteless comment about the size of the girl's. . .um, endowment.

My grandmother's friend fixed me with a withering glare, and said, "That's my granddaughter!"

I slunk out of there, my face red and a bit wiser.:redface: :redface: :redface:

She was hot, though!:tongue:

mrob said:
While in college I was visiting my grandmother--mooching a free lunch is more like it :biggrin: --when this beautiful, *very* busty young girl came over to do some gardening for her.

A few days later I was back after school and one of my grandmother's friend was over for coffee. She mentioned the girl who was doing work for my grandmother, and I made some tasteless comment about the size of the girl's. . .um, endowment.

My grandmother's friend fixed me with a withering glare, and said, "That's my granddaughter!"

I slunk out of there, my face red and a bit wiser.:redface: :redface: :redface:

She was hot, though!:tongue:

Mitch, I thought you were going to tell us that you married her. :lol:

About 8 years ago I worked (part time) as a "garden monkey" (my term) at a fairly upscale inn in Nova Scotia. One day I went to talk to the boss in his office (so he could approve what I wanted to do next) and when I got there his very attractive daughter was talking to him (she was home from university for the weekend). When I knocked on his door he looked out at me and said something to the effect of "I'll be out to see you just as soon as I can get rid of her [his daughter]. But sit down it might take a while; you know what women can be like." Without thinking (a common problem of mine) I responded "Don't worry about it... and if you need somebody to take her off of your hands for a while, just let me know." His face turned very red... and I decided to wait for him outside in the garden (on my turf, so to speak) rather than in his office where he would feel more comfortable.

His daughter came to talk to me after and told me that I must be either exceptionally brave/confident or stupid because every guy she had ever dated was scared to death of her father... but she apparently thought that what I said was cute and funny.

About 8 years ago I worked (part time) as a "garden monkey" (my term) at a fairly upscale inn in Nova Scotia. One day I went to talk to the boss in his office (so he could approve what I wanted to do next) and when I got there his very attractive daughter was talking to him (she was home from university for the weekend). When I knocked on his door he looked out at me and said something to the effect of "I'll be out to see you just as soon as I can get rid of her [his daughter]. But sit down it might take a while; you know what women can be like." Without thinking (a common problem of mine) I responded "Don't worry about it... and if you need somebody to take her off of your hands for a while, just let me know." His face turned very red... and I decided to wait for him outside in the garden (on my turf, so to speak) rather than in his office where he would feel more comfortable.

His daughter came to talk to me after and told me that I must be either exceptionally brave/confident or stupid because every guy she had ever dated was scared to death of her father... but she apparently thought that what I said was cute and funny.

So, did you get to date her?

==Tom

Tom, if you keep digging up these ancient threads and bringing them to light again, you are going to earn yourself a custom title... just a heads up.... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Archeaologist of Wet Shaving... ???? lol

Have you stuck your foot in your mouth recently? ~ or ~ more politely, a 'Faux Pas'?

Share your embarrassing moment, here's mine:

New neighbors moved in across the street, an older retired couple. I just met the wife earlier this week, a very nice elderly lady. While talking in my open garage, a car appeared to attempt zero to sixty, in the length of our court.

I remarked to her, 'I've seen that car do that before.' 'What an idiot, I moved into a court to avoid that and live where it's safe for my Grandkids to play and still can't get away from Moron drivers'. 'I wonder who that is?'

She didn't say anything for a moment then said, 'That's my Grandson, he lives with us'.

I'm sure she was as embarrassed as I was.
Sue

So, did he ever slow down?

==Tom

I thought some of these old conversations were pretty neat and should be brought back to life.

How about Dead Thread Resurector.

LOL

==Tom

I wouldn't say this was a faux pas but it certainly could have been had the person taken my comment the wrong way.

I was on a flight to Detroit after doing some work at a glass plant in Clarkesville. I had finished and was starting the long haul back to Cornwall UK. I got into my seat and the woman sat next to me said Hi and twitched a bit. The plane took off and we got to chatting and she apologised for twitching all the time. I said "no worries, what's the problem?" she replied that she had Parkinsons disease and had done for a number of years.

This is where it could have gone very wrong.

I replied "oh, that's ok you'll shake it off" and started chuckling to myself. I must stress I was not being mean, I was just trying to make light of he situation.

She looked round at me and started really laughing, I mean tears were rolling down her face.

She said to me "that is the funniest thing I have ever heard and thank you so much for not giving the usual response of 'aww that must be awful'."

Phew!

I'm 'orrible :biggrin:

Cheers

Mat

Top Bottom