What's new

Faux horn - opinions on loft pls

I had a brush years ago that one of my dogs ate. Always missed it and never came across another so made what I kind of remembered. Feels a little different (maybe taller) but been a long time. Original was off-white I think but just had good feel and simple shape.

Cut this one about 90% last week but had to wait for a knot. Got a Maggard 26 mm two-band SHD fan in today and finished up.

So, the knot is new and lathered once and semi wet in these pics. Do you think I should drop it lower and tighten up the fan or leave as is? Thanks in advance.

A65C45C7-6FAB-4540-BF73-CED1F5C2A603.jpeg
C01C1A4C-9357-4765-8BB4-4427C0E4E654.jpeg
C824A690-F488-4C3F-B65D-8D1427A9154B.jpeg

That handle looks fantastic. The faux horn looks much better than most I have seen. Were did you get it?
The Maggard's SHD knots are wonderful. I prefer bulbs but that fan looks great. The loft is very much a personal preference matter. As I said it looks great the way it is. I would suggest using it a while then deciding whether you like it as is or want to tighten it up a bit.

I'm a boar guy, mainly, and all about backbone, scrub, and short lofts. So I'll throw in a vote for a tighter fan and (to me) less top heavy visually. Like any of that matters, so absolutely be yourself!

It is great as it is. That handle is a very pleasing turning of a good looking blank. Nice work!

Thank you both. I too very much enjoy a good boar. And a stiff badger. And a soft badger. I used to have more of a preference but actually enjoy all of them for their qualities as long as it is a good knot.

And I realize it is preference, but I was asking for opinions so don’t worry. I care about aesthetics as well as functionality. Don’t want an ugly brush nor one that can’t be used or I don’t want too. Too much effort for that and in that case I can buy plenty that only half suit me :) So thanks again for chiming in.

Turning brushes and poly is all new to me. I ordered a good lot from masecraft which is where this faux horn came from. I’m not sure I love the pattern really or how it looks like horn from certain angles but no complaint from me regarding the seller. I wanted to try it so I did. Got several different rods from them and working up to some of the fake ivory stuff. None of them look convincing raw as a rod. They need shape and contour to show character. Which is no problem except I find simple profiles/shapes to be the most pleasing in my hands and not sure they are the best to show the poly’s colors. Anyway, been fun and I’m happy about outcomes so far.

Here is the horn on a lathe where you can see the more raw version. A few a angles so you can see from different sides. You’ll notice I shortened it once (polished ring remnant) but almost wish I had taken another 2-3 mm off for some reason. Just a feel/look thing.

E475691F-8C9B-44D1-8911-79E85A78D242.jpegFCC368A4-36FC-4845-A15F-B47D8C240620.jpeg35D00F0E-DC54-4D1F-8984-A98C2D92D6FD.jpeg1AF04CF6-E27F-42E6-920C-8E968852F152.jpegF1838B5B-535B-4111-A04F-86AA59A88D19.jpegB9960A6E-EFF2-4992-819E-73AA1F64E3EF.jpeg

Nice brush! I’ve always like the look of faux horn. My experience with fans is they will splay considerably more than a bulb after some use (probably due to less hairs because the shape but I haven’t verified this) so I would set it 2-4mm lower than if it were a bulb depending on how firm you like your brush.

Top Bottom