What's new

Faulty Merrkur Progress

Just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.On the 13th Dec 05 I purchased a Progress on line from the Gentlemans Shop.The razor shaves great and I am ver pleased with it.Although this morning after my morning shave I noticed a fracture about 1cm long down the shaft. I have e-mailed the shop with regards getting the razor replaced.Hopefully there will not be a problem[will keep you posted].
Dont know if I should pay the additional money and buy the Vision or the Futur.
Was thinking of going for the Vision as it would not be my intention to purchase other razors.
Please advise.
Alan!

Hi Alan -

I'm sure that the Robert @ The Gentleman's Shop will take care of you.

That said, I don't know if I would purchase the Vision as my only razor. It's certainly a great razor. But many folks (myself included) found that there were some shortcomings of the design that bothered them.

Check out this thread: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4634&highlight=vision+own+merits

I think if I had to have only one - I may consider the Futur a better choice. Of course, I'm sure everyone has an opinion on the matter. :blush:

I love the Vision too. Although since my wife started using it (she likes the long handle, the weight and the adjustability), I'm using my gold Merkur Classic HD more which fits me perfectly. I also own a Merkur Classic which is in my travel kit and a Merkur 1904 Open Comb which I use when I have more than a day or two growth. The Vision doesn't have any "shortcomings of the design" for my purposes but, as HLSheppard mentioned above, that's just my opinion. The Vision is particularly useful for people with tough beards as it can be adjusted to work like an open comb or even similar to a straight razor. Or, you can dial it down so that a beginning wet shaver could use it. It is heavy and big though. Too much so for some people.
All this will eventually be a moot point for me as I'm easing into using my TI Blond Horn Silver Steel straight razor more. I would like to reverse the rolls for my razors where I'll be using the TI through the week and a DE on weekends. Right now it's just the opposite. But I love the shave the TI gives...the most comfortable close shave I've ever had with the Classic HD a close second. That said, I still really like the Vision. It was my first wet shaver.

Tom

Well since it is an opinion pole, I'll add my two cents. I love the Vision, but find the Futur a better all around razor. If only the head of the Vision was a bit flatter, allowing it to get those spaces under the nostrils without have to go through the most unpleasant of contortions, it would be perfect.

guenron said:
Well since it is an opinion pole, I'll add my two cents. I love the Vision, but find the Futur a better all around razor. If only the head of the Vision was a bit flatter, allowing it to get those spaces under the nostrils without have to go through the most unpleasant of contortions, it would be perfect.
I guess we have to get a flag to run up that opinion pole.... As for the poll, I agree with Ron that the Futur is a better razor, despite its design flaws. :wink: :biggrin:

Well

As you guys said Robert at the Gentlemans Shop replaced the razor without a question asked.Although I replaced the progress with a futur.Two very similar priced razors but very different to use.I would say the Progress was easier to use as someone new to wet shaving.That said I really like the Futur and although I have it set at two find I have to be more careful as I it is not as forgiving. Hopefully practice will make perfect!!

Merkur's quality control sucks. I have one Progress that came dented on the upper part of the head not to mention the broken case.

Wet said:
Merkur's quality control sucks. I have one Progress that came dented on the upper part of the head not to mention the broken case.

Hi Wet, welcome to B&B. The damage could have happened in transit from across the pond or from the retailer. Have you contacted the retailer?

I think the dented head is a Merkur QC problem but I am not in the mood to have all the trouble of send it back. That is the problem of buying from Internet based retailers, in this case from the UK.

R

rainman

Just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.On the 13th Dec 05 I purchased a Progress on line from the Gentlemans Shop.The razor shaves great and I am ver pleased with it.Although this morning after my morning shave I noticed a fracture about 1cm long down the shaft. I have e-mailed the shop with regards getting the razor replaced.Hopefully there will not be a problem[will keep you posted].
Dont know if I should pay the additional money and buy the Vision or the Futur.
Was thinking of going for the Vision as it would not be my intention to purchase other razors.
Please advise.
Alan!

That seems to be a common thing. I have personally bought 2 Progress' that were defective. Luckily the vendor I used exchanged with no question and paid shipping both ways. Also sent the new one with a label to send the defective back. In the end, once you get a non-defective one, its a great razor.

Top Bottom