What's new

Fats

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I get my duck-fat the old-fashioned way...I roast a duck.
It's amazing how much fat one duck will yield!

Isn't it? I haven't roasted a duck or goose in a long time, but they have a thick layer of fat that renders beautifully.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I get my duck-fat the old-fashioned way...I roast a duck.
It's amazing how much fat one duck will yield!

Without a duck to roast, I'm left with buying the duck fat or not having any. The choice for me is simple.
The process to render the fat commercially is old and not far apart from what you describe as the old fashion way.
Take fat trimmings and apply heat to melt.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Always enjoyed beef dripping on bread with a sprinkle of salt, especially if it had the dark brown jelly as well!

Gareth
The absolute best BBQ joints in Texas have a tub of “drippins” that you can pour over bread, mashed potatoes, Mac n Cheese, or even the BBQ itself.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Anyone cook with fat ie lard or bacon grease.

Yes. :)

Every Thursday I culture a quart of heavy cream with a spoonful of skyr. On Saturday it has worked out and I churn the cream for butter. Lightly salted cultured butter -- plus I get some buttermilk out of it!

When needed I render beef tallow. Tallow-fried potatoes are very good! I also use the tallow in soap-making.

I also render lard, which I need to do soon as I'm running low. The last hog we put in the freezer had a fair amount of fat so I'm gonna have a good batch. With rendering we also get cracklings, some of which we eat but the dog believes they are just for her.

I cure guanciale and pancetta which are both fatty cuts. When cooked the fat is saved separately. We save leftover fat from bacon, chicken, turkey, goose, duck etc. for inclusion in gravies and soups later.

Refried beans made with bacon grease just light me up. In the absence of a significant amount of bacon grease, I have been known to cure 5 kg of back fat and then cold-smoke it before grinding and rendering it. (Which takes some planning, if you're going to leave the fat in the brine box for 6 months...)

O.H.

M

mtcn77

I also use the tallow in soap-making.
Have you tried ammonia in soap making? It is supposed to be more soluble than potassium soaps - that should make a wonderful shaving soap with hard fats like tallow. What do you think about it?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Have you tried ammonia in soap making? It is supposed to be more soluble than potassium soaps

I hadn't heard of it. I've got a recipe that makes a good soap -- which is what I was after, rather than being all-in on making different kinds of soaps.

O.H.

Top Bottom