What's new

Fats

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Duck fat for confit, pork fat and suet all make the cut. Mostly rendered pork fat from bacon nowadays, but when my darling finds the drippings in the fridge they usually get tossed.

Yup bacon grease but also tallow and ghee
also carnivore for over a year so often get whole loins and do not trim so the extra fat I melt off to cook with

Rendered animal fat is the most delicious thing on this earth. I keep every last drop of it. In the cooler months I roast a chicken every Sunday, in no small part to make the chicken fat into schmaltz.

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I do use lard from time to time, especially if we just made carnitas.

Butter. Well, duh.

You better believe that I keep all the bacon fat and schmaltz from cooking. Those live in their respective jars in the freezer.

Lard and schmaltz are not only great for frying, but they are magnificent for greasing a loaf pan when baking bread. When it comes to cornbread, bacon grease is the way to go.

I also keep all the fat and other drippings from when I cook brisket. That brisket fat is some serious liquid gold, baby. I tell you what. I save that stuff for special occasions.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Lard for pie crust and biscuits. Bacon fat for breakfast potatoes and sometimes for fried eggs. I cheat with the potatoes . . . I cut them up and microwave them in a bowl covered in cling film before I finish them in the fry pan.

I've never had the lard and onion sandwich yet. I worked with a German guy who would have been a kid during WWII who told me it was one of his favourite nostalgic things to eat.

I get lard, duck fat, and others from fatworks. Also have olive oil and coconut oil on hand. Kerrygold butter gets used often.

I like to save the fat from when I brown ground beef. The fat rendered from bacon and breakfast sausage is good to save too but I find that you don’t seem to get as much fat as you used to from the sausage

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I do use lard from time to time, especially if we just made carnitas.

Butter. Well, duh.

You better believe that I keep all the bacon fat and schmaltz from cooking. Those live in their respective jars in the freezer.

Lard and schmaltz are not only great for frying, but they are magnificent for greasing a loaf pan when baking bread. When it comes to cornbread, bacon grease is the way to go.

I also keep all the fat and other drippings from when I cook brisket. That brisket fat is some serious liquid gold, baby. I tell you what. I save that stuff for special occasions.
Right on Gacha tone.

M

mtcn77

Saturated fats are healthier, they ironically have a lower peroxide value when heated, although not exactly too seperate - no fat is safe when heated.
PS: I have hypertension manuals as reference, it pleases me to say this as a matter of fact. Unsaturated oils are on the hypertension risk workups in recent medical guidelines.

Top Bottom