What's new

Fatip V1 Piccolo and V1 Grande, two genuinely good razors.

Even thought I visit this forum very often, I never write a post. But now I will do it, and there is a good reason for that.

I prefer shaving with a straight razor, but I normally do it only during the weekends; weekdays I use a safety razor because it is less time consuming. My daily shavers are the Merkur 39C slant, the Ikon 102 slant, and the aluminum PAA Alpha Ecliptic slant. The 39C is my "recovering" razor when a need a gentle shave or when I am in a very hurry.

The Fatip Piccolo and the Grande intrigued me. I like that they are all brass, I think they are very good looking razors, and some people love them and others hate them as much, but no one appears to be in the middle of the road.

I got the V1 (MK1) Piccolo and the V1 Grande (same head, different handles), and I was surprised. I think that they are two genuinely good razors that unfairly get a bad rap.

Although the finish is not the best, it is very acceptable, even more considering how much they cost. The blade alignment is not perfect, but it is not that bad either and it takes only a few seconds to correct it. I read that Fatip tends to have quality issues with fit and finish, so perhaps I was lucky and I got good ones. I personally think that the Piccolo is prettier than the Grande, and I also like that it is heavier, but the handle is too small for me. Hence I use the Grande.

I tried the Grande first because it was the only one I had then–I got the Piccolo by mail that evening. Since I had read that you have to be very careful with them because they are aggressive I loaded a Voskhod, which is not my favorite blade at all. I like the Persona Medical Prep blades. The first shave with the Grande did not give me any nicks or weepers, and only little irritation, but is was not smooth at all. Actually, it tugged, and it almost felt like it was pulling the hair out of my face, regardless the angle I used. And after two passes and touches I did not even get a DFS. I was very disappointed.

The next morning I took the Piccolo and I loaded a Persona. Such a difference! After two passes and a few touches I had a DFS, and the shave was very smooth. I also tried the Grande with a Astra SP, and even if it was better than with the Voskhod it was not even close to the Persona. In my opinion, the Fatip benefits from a sharper blade. But as usual when it comes to wet shaving, what works for one person might not work for other. I ordered some Kai blades to see if the Fatip likes them.

I have been shaving with the Grande every day during over three weeks–except weekends–and yet I have to see any blood. I use a as shallow angle as possible and I do not apply any pressure at all.

In my opinion, the Fatip is a very good razor. Will the Grande replace the my slants? I think it will, except probably the Mercur 39C, that will continue being my "recovering" razor.

I would like to find a sharp, stiff and rigid DE blade (no thinking about injectors). Do you gentlemen have any suggestions?

Even thought I visit this forum very often, I never write a post. But now I will do it, and there is a good reason for that.

I prefer shaving with a straight razor, but I normally do it only during the weekends; weekdays I use a safety razor because it is less time consuming. My daily shavers are the Merkur 39C slant, the Ikon 102 slant, and the aluminum PAA Alpha Ecliptic slant. The 39C is my "recovering" razor when a need a gentle shave or when I am in a very hurry.

The Fatip Piccolo and the Grande intrigued me. I like that they are all brass, I think they are very good looking razors, and some people love them and others hate them as much, but no one appears to be in the middle of the road.

I got the V1 (MK1) Piccolo and the V1 Grande (same head, different handles), and I was surprised. I think that they are two genuinely good razors that unfairly get a bad rap.

Although the finish is not the best, it is very acceptable, even more considering how much they cost. The blade alignment is not perfect, but it is not that bad either and it takes only a few seconds to correct it. I read that Fatip tends to have quality issues with fit and finish, so perhaps I was lucky and I got good ones. I personally think that the Piccolo is prettier than the Grande, and I also like that it is heavier, but the handle is too small for me. Hence I use the Grande.

I tried the Grande first because it was the only one I had then–I got the Piccolo by mail that evening. Since I had read that you have to be very careful with them because they are aggressive I loaded a Voskhod, which is not my favorite blade at all. I like the Persona Medical Prep blades. The first shave with the Grande did not give me any nicks or weepers, and only little irritation, but is was not smooth at all. Actually, it tugged, and it almost felt like it was pulling the hair out of my face, regardless the angle I used. And after two passes and touches I did not even get a DFS. I was very disappointed.

The next morning I took the Piccolo and I loaded a Persona. Such a difference! After two passes and a few touches I had a DFS, and the shave was very smooth. I also tried the Grande with a Astra SP, and even if it was better than with the Voskhod it was not even close to the Persona. In my opinion, the Fatip benefits from a sharper blade. But as usual when it comes to wet shaving, what works for one person might not work for other. I ordered some Kai blades to see if the Fatip likes them.

I have been shaving with the Grande every day during over three weeks–except weekends–and yet I have to see any blood. I use a as shallow angle as possible and I do not apply any pressure at all.

In my opinion, the Fatip is a very good razor. Will the Grande replace the my slants? I think it will, except probably the Mercur 39C, that will continue being my "recovering" razor.

I would like to find a sharp, stiff and rigid DE blade (no thinking about injectors). Do you gentlemen have any suggestions?

GMHSE,

I too am in a similar situation, I use DEs during the week and spring out the straights over the weekend.

I have been fascinated by the Fatips for a long time but reports of bad qc have kept me away from them.

Today was the first time I tried a Fatip a Schone actually but, it was a very smooth experience.

I think the Mk1 would suit me better as I'm starting to prefer slightly more aggressive razors so, thanks for the reviews.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

GMHSE,

I too am in a similar situation, I use DEs during the week and spring out the straights over the weekend.

I have been fascinated by the Fatips for a long time but reports of bad qc have kept me away from them.

Today was the first time I tried a Fatip a Schone actually but, it was a very smooth experience.

I think the Mk1 would suit me better as I'm starting to prefer slightly more aggressive razors so, thanks for the reviews.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Do not let the "stories" about the QC of the Fatip scare you. As I said before, the QC of the ones I got was very acceptable, but perhaps I was lucky. Other thing is that the Fatip is not a $100 razor, and then you cannot expect the same kind of finish either.

I never tried a V2, but I have read that they are smoother and less aggressive than the V1. Now, I do not consider the V1 to be an aggressive razor, but that is me.

Sure you have to pay attention to what you are doing, but it is not that bad. With the sledgehammer (39C) you can shave without paying much attention and do not get any nicks or weepers, but the Grande V1 will bite you if you do not pay attention. I still use the Grande every day and I have never hurt myself when shaving with it.

I got the Grande and the Piccolo on eBay, they were NOS. I am sure you will be able to find one there, but they start to be more expensive than new V2.

Last edited:
Do not let the "stories" about the QC of the Fatip scare you. As I said before, the QC of the ones I got was very acceptable, but perhaps I was lucky. Other thing is that the Fatip is not a $100 razor, and then you cannot expect the same kind of finish either.

I never tried a V2, but I have read that they are smoother and less aggressive than the V1. Now, I do not consider the V1 to be an aggressive razor, but that is me.

Sure you have to pay attention to what you are doing, but it is not that bad. With the sledgehammer (39C) you can shave without paying much attention and do not get any nicks or weepers, but the Grande V1 will bite you if you do not pay attention. I still use the Grande every day and I have never hurt myself when shaving with it.

I got the Grande and the Piccolo on eBay, they were NOS. I am sure you will be able to find one there, but they start to be more expensive than new V2.

Absolute agree, as its often a YMMV thing. The Fatips get a bad rap cos of rather sloppy workmanship but they provide excellent shaves.

Thanks again for the reviews.

Mawashi

Top Bottom