What's new

Fatip Testina Gentile vs. any Tech

There have been several interesting threads comparing the Testina Gentile with other razors, including Fatip OC, Muhle R89 and even ATT M1. But I haven't seen a comparison between the Testina Gentile with any Tech. Can someone help with this?

I've been using a 1970 US Tech, a flat-bottom British Tech and a pre-war US Tech. All are smooth, efficient-enough, and easy-to-maneuver on my light-to-medium beard, with the pre war model being the most pleasant to use.

I bought the Fatip Special edition set which gave me both the Picollo OC baseplate, and the Gentile baseplate (both are Mk2 versions).
I also own a nice Tech (Nickel plated, ball end handle, Made in England...no idea when it was made though), and a Black Beauty (for a comparison), and a Mamba (plus some other OC late model stuff).
The Gentile baseplate I tried once and bunged it in the drawer. It's no better or worse than the Tech, Black Beauty, and Mamba. No use in keeping it in my rotation as it contributed nothing different....for me...YMMV.

M

Member 113878

To me the Testina Gentile is as smooth as a Tech (I own a few) but *much* more efficient.

For me, the Fatip Gentile feels slightly rougher and not as smooth as a Tech but it is more efficient. There is also more blade feel with the Gentile. I have pre-war and post-post war techs and I prefer them to the Fatip.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have the same Fatip special edition. It's a nice razor. My other DE are Feather Popular and Merkur 42c. I've not even tried the OC plate. The Gentile is plenty aggressive for me. I'd rank my razors from least to most agressive/efficient Feather --> Merkur --> Fatip

I thought the Tech was what the Feather Popular was patterned after, is that correct? If so, without owning both, I'd say the Gentile is the more aggressive razor.

Top Bottom