What's new

Fatip Testina Gentile Review

My Grande killed my RAD on its first stroke. I think a lot of people might actually be turned off by the low price. Its a fantastic razor, and for $20 everyone should try one.

It can take some time to adjust to them and hone your technique, but once you're there they deliver like no other DE in my opinion.
My only complaint, is the lack of significant aural feedback.

Actually, that's a pretty big complaint. But everything else is nearly perfect.

However my new Colonial General is getting a maiden voyage tomorrow, so we shall see what the boys from Philly (and Japan) bring to the table!

As usual YMMV, I used a R89 for a year and a half before I tried another razor. I'm not trying to collect razors, but I just felt at the end the R89 was a bad combo of too much free hanging blade vs not nearly efficient enough. I could buff all day, and never get certain spots clean.

First use of the Gentile was pure joy, and eliminated both issues right away. The Grande even more so, but right now I prefer the Gentile over all. Still need time with both though. (I do feel that there's a tendency on forums to jump to conclusions to quickly, there is skill involved here after all, and blade matching is also important, at least for me.)
How about that?

You're story is remarkedly similar to mine.

I spent over a year with my DE89 + a carton of Astra SP, happy to be wet shaving and getting better results than my disposables, but having to work pretty darn hard to get a perfect shave, with a problem area that too often fell short even with much buffing.

Then I tried the Gentile with my usual Astra SP. Wow! An easier, smoother, more efficient shave that cleaned-up my (former) problem area with absolutely no extra work. Magic! I was blown away.

My eyes opened by the Gentile, I quickly tried a Piccolo, and it immediately became my preferred shaver. It gives me even more over the DE89, than the Gentile did. I like it with a feather. My shaves are remarkedly close and efficient!

But I will say this: When I want a fast & easy no frills "fly-through-it" early morning shave, or when I feel my face needs a break & an easy shave, the Gentile loaded with a GSB is my tool in hand! It provides an effortless and near mistake-proof, quick, no-hassle, high-quality shave.

For every tool its purpose ...

How about that?

You're story is remarkedly similar to mine.

I spent over a year with my DE89 + a carton of Astra SP, happy to be wet shaving and getting better results than my disposables, but having to work pretty darn hard to get a perfect shave, with a problem area that too often fell short even with much buffing.

Then I tried the Gentile with my usual Astra SP. Wow! An easier, smoother, more efficient shave that cleaned-up my (former) problem area with absolutely no extra work. Magic! I was blown away.

My eyes opened by the Gentile, I quickly tried a Piccolo, and it immediately became my preferred shaver. It gives me even more over the DE89, than the Gentile did. I like it with a feather. My shaves are remarkedly close and efficient!

But I will say this: When I want a fast & easy no frills "fly-through-it" early morning shave, or when I feel my face needs a break & an easy shave, the Gentile loaded with a GSB is my tool in hand! It provides an effortless and near mistake-proof, quick, no-hassle, high-quality shave.

Truly another example of YMMV. My experience so far has been the opposite. My shaves are getting a bit better with the Gentile but it's taking some effort. And I think the improvement is due more to the blade selection. Whereas it's generally easier for me to get the similar results with the DE89 and has been since the first time I've used it. I guess that's why they make so many different razors. Our beards and faces are just different.

BTW, I also liked the GSB in the Gentile as you recommended, even though it's not a favorite in other razors. So we're back to where I started...YMMV!

Raven Koenes

My precious!

:thumbsup: Now there's a combination that's hard to beat.

:thumbsup: Now there's a combination that's hard to beat.
Yes, though it's not like my Piccolo sits idly-by all week either. :wink:

But it is fair to say, I'm firmly in the Fatip camp!
It really is yeah. Your technique needs to be on point or as I said to Rave;
Yeah, I think I'd agree. I wouldn't recommend a Fatip OC as one's first razor, for instance.

And I think it is worthy to note, that the only time I had a mishap that I feared could mark me for life, involved my Piccolo loaded with a Feather! My worries were unfounded though, and every thing turned-out fine. But while I must admit it was definitely pilot error, I think it still says something about the possibly lethality of the Piccolo-Feather combination. :D

Just like my petite wife, sometimes things that come in small packages can be particularly deadly! :p

Truly another example of YMMV. My experience so far has been the opposite. My shaves are getting a bit better with the Gentile but it's taking some effort. And I think the improvement is due more to the blade selection. Whereas it's generally easier for me to get the similar results with the DE89 and has been since the first time I've used it. I guess that's why they make so many different razors. Our beards and faces are just different.

BTW, I also liked the GSB in the Gentile as you recommended, even though it's not a favorite in other razors. So we're back to where I started...YMMV!
I respect your opinion. And yeah, even though I hate to use the term "YMMV", it does seem to be accurate from time-to-time.

The interesting thing here though, is my Gentile very nicely shaves my former DE89's trouble-spot without any extra attention. Two basic passes, without any appreciable buffing. And the same for my Piccolo. So there's something about the Gentile (and Piccolo) geometry, that works better for me than the Jagger's. No idea, what exactly it is. But if I get the job done with less work, I have no choice but to score it as "more efficient", for better or worse, and of course without prejudice.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
And I think it is worthy to note, that the only time I had a mishap that I feared could mark me for life, involved my Piccolo loaded with a Feather! My worries were unfounded though, and every thing turned-out fine. But while I must admit it was definitely pilot error, I think it still says something about the possibly lethality of the Piccolo-Feather combination. :D

I wish Feather blades worked as well for me as they seem to so many others. Starting ATG a Feather takes me 3 full passes to get the same BBS as 1 1/2 passes with other blades. I dont get it lol.

But it is fair to say, I'm firmly in the Fatip camp!

You should try the Schöne Italian Open Comb :thumbsup: While I still love my Fatip Testina Gentile

I wish Feather blades worked as well for me as they seem to so many others. Starting ATG a Feather takes me 3 full passes to get the same BBS as 1 1/2 passes with other blades. I dont get it lol.
Isn't that interesting. Well, neither of us seem very impressed with the sharpness of KAI either, and come to think of it @Chan Eil Whiskers Eli doesn't as well. So I think it might be interesting seeing the BOSC guy's take on some popular items, vs the perceived forum consensus?

Anyway, Very unusually for me I had a 5 day beard to mow down! So I passed using my new Colonial General, instead choosing my now tried & true Piccolo loaded with a fresh Feather. I wanted the sharpest most efficient shaving duo, in my arsenal. And then it occurred to me: Why not give my razor pairing the ultimate test? One good pass, against the grain!

So I did, and here's what I found: I can't believe the Piccolo with a Feather was able to jump right into a heavy nearly week's beard ATG, and do it efficiently - and most shockingly - comfortably! It sliced right through, like nobody's business. I didn't do any buffing or reworking, because with the Piccolo + Feather I've been getting great shaves without that, and excessive buffing and reworking with this combo can lead to razor rash.

I must say the shave was not up to my highest standards. I usually shoot for BBS, but not making extra BBS effort, and I often hit it or come pretty close just using my regular technique. I would say this shave was definitely not BBS, nor even solidly DFS, but it was a high CCS. The thing is, I really put only minimal effort into it, and no buffing or reworking. It was all 1 quick ATG pass. And it being my second time at this technique, I'm inexperienced with it and don't have any technique down with it. But I can say that with the minimal shaving I did, my face felt extremely comfortable even though I used a feather. It felt like I hardly shaved, which is remarkable given the heavy growth removed.

So I'm not sure what to make of this "1 pass ATG" shaving technique. I suspect if I wanted to change my technique to one where I'm going over the same area multiple times, or even buffing or reworking, the shave quality would surely come up. Whether it would match my usual 3 pass standard, I don't know. But it sure was great doing a no hassle 3 or 4 minute shave! Seriously, from "lather to done" was 3 or 4 minutes; just like my old "disposables" days!

I thought you might enjoy reading my experience.

You should try the Schöne Italian Open Comb :thumbsup: While I still love my Fatip Testina Gentile
Believe it or not, I've got one in-the-box, unused! I just haven't gotten to it yet, due to my suspicion it will be similar to my Piccolo, and I've got more disparate things to try first, like my new Colonial General.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My only complaint, is the lack of significant aural feedback.

Actually, that's a pretty big complaint. But everything else is nearly perfect.

However my new Colonial General is getting a maiden voyage tomorrow, so we shall see what the boys from Philly (and Japan) bring to the table!

My General gives plenty of audible feedback. Proline.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Schone head seems exactly the same as the Fatip. Is it truly a different company or just a rebranded Fatip ?
Fatip makes Schöne's Open Comb Razor. Its nine teeth are fatter than Fatip's standard own brand eleven teeth, hence it's not quite as efficient as the Fatip.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Isn't that interesting. Well, neither of us seem very impressed with the sharpness of KAI either, and come to think of it @Chan Eil Whiskers Eli doesn't as well. So I think it might be interesting seeing the BOSC guy's take on some popular items, vs the perceived forum consensus?

Anyway, Very unusually for me I had a 5 day beard to mow down! So I passed using my new Colonial General, instead choosing my now tried & true Piccolo loaded with a fresh Feather. I wanted the sharpest most efficient shaving duo, in my arsenal. And then it occurred to me: Why not give my razor pairing the ultimate test? One good pass, against the grain!

So I did, and here's what I found: I can't believe the Piccolo with a Feather was able to jump right into a heavy nearly week's beard ATG, and do it efficiently - and most shockingly - comfortably! It sliced right through, like nobody's business. I didn't do any buffing or reworking, because with the Piccolo + Feather I've been getting great shaves without that, and excessive buffing and reworking with this combo can lead to razor rash.

I must say the shave was not up to my highest standards. I usually shoot for BBS, but not making extra BBS effort, and I often hit it or come pretty close just using my regular technique. I would say this shave was definitely not BBS, nor even solidly DFS, but it was a high CCS. The thing is, I really put only minimal effort into it, and no buffing or reworking. It was all 1 quick ATG pass. And it being my second time at this technique, I'm inexperienced with it and don't have any technique down with it. But I can say that with the minimal shaving I did, my face felt extremely comfortable even though I used a feather. It felt like I hardly shaved, which is remarkable given the heavy growth removed.

So I'm not sure what to make of this "1 pass ATG" shaving technique. I suspect if I wanted to change my technique to one where I'm going over the same area multiple times, or even buffing or reworking, the shave quality would surely come up. Whether it would match my usual 3 pass standard, I don't know. But it sure was great doing a no hassle 3 or 4 minute shave! Seriously, from "lather to done" was 3 or 4 minutes; just like my old "disposables" days!

I thought you might enjoy reading my experience.

49576985.jpg

Finally I get to hear of someone else trying an ATG first pass shave.

Much like you, Feather blades didnt work well for me and it took me 3 full passes to get the BBS finish, all done ATG and I was buffing. I've tried them twice like that so far and had the same results both times.

Shaving like that you'd find it much easier with a shallow angle, especially if you decide to buff. Think of mowing long grass in your yard with a push mower. You're not going to make it across the yard with a single push. You'd push the mower ahead a step or two, then pull it back a half step and push forward into it again. Use the same concept for that type of shave.

Once you find the right angle, you'll be amazed how easily and comfortably these razors will work. You may also find a different blade will work better. The Feather did get me there, but I've always found that blade a bit harsh and after my 3 passes I did have some light irritation. With Polsilver or Gillette Yellow I get none and they cut better for me.

It took me maybe 10 or 12 shaves like that I dont remember exactly before my confidence level really rose. Along the way I found beard mapping to be critical to this type of shave. The more directly ATG you can engage the blade, the easier, more comfortably and more efficiently you'll get to a BBS finish.

Stay with it and learn, as long as your skin can handle this kind of shave, and your growth pattern and direction allows it easily, there is no more efficient and quick way to shave.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I would expect the gap to be the same as the Piccolo and Grande, nil. @Raven Koenes I'm sure can confirm it.

Fatip Grande left, NEW SC right. The NEW SC has .023" gap.

View attachment 851935 View attachment 851936
Yup, nil gap, and the base plate is the same except the Gentile has a nine combed solid bar to the Open Comb's eleven teeth. The top cap is also the same as on the Grande. It's the solid bar that makes the Gentile gentle.

View attachment 851934

Finally I get to hear of someone else trying an ATG first pass shave.

Much like you, Feather blades didnt work well for me and it took me 3 full passes to get the BBS finish, all done ATG and I was buffing. I've tried them twice like that so far and had the same results both times.

Shaving like that you'd find it much easier with a shallow angle, especially if you decide to buff. Think of mowing long grass in your yard with a push mower. You're not going to make it across the yard with a single push. You'd push the mower ahead a step or two, then pull it back a half step and push forward into it again. Use the same concept for that type of shave.

Once you find the right angle, you'll be amazed how easily and comfortably these razors will work. You may also find a different blade will work better. The Feather did get me there, but I've always found that blade a bit harsh and after my 3 passes I did have some light irritation. With Polsilver or Gillette Yellow I get none and they cut better for me.

It took me maybe 10 or 12 shaves like that I dont remember exactly before my confidence level really rose. Along the way I found beard mapping to be critical to this type of shave. The more directly ATG you can engage the blade, the easier, more comfortably and more efficiently you'll get to a BBS finish.

Stay with it and learn, as long as your skin can handle this kind of shave, and your growth pattern and direction allows it easily, there is no more efficient and quick way to shave.
Thanks very much for this thorough post, and sorry about the late reply.

Well I must admit that later after my shave described above, I'm thinking it was probably a little closer to DFS than I realized, though still not fully there. So it really wasn't too bad of a shave.

My next shave was again with my Piccolo, using the other (new) side of the Feather blade. However this time I did my normal 2-1/2 pass shave, which is a full 1st WTG pass, then XTG on my face + ATG on my neck & under my chin for the 2nd pass, with another portion of a pass on the areas that are in essence a "planned touch-up". It really was an excellent pretty-much BBS shave. And fairly comfortable, too. I couldn't help but admire it.

While the "one-pass ATG" shave was an interesting experiment, I'm not yet convinced it's the way to go. First of all, it seems like it will take some multiple strokes or buffing. That's not really my thing. But also, shaving several passes in different directions seems to me intuitively better. Similar to the way sweeping a wooden boarded floor in multiple directions, does a more thorough job.

Now I do very much like the idea of one pass, in terms of speed and comfort. But in my mind, multiple-stroking or buffing the same area would seem to negate the comfort.

So who knows? Maybe I'll still try it (one-pass ATG) again from time-to-time. I probably will. But my next 2-1/2 pass Piccolo-Feather shave was really stellar. So I'm a bit loathe to mess with it.

Top Bottom