What's new

Fatip Testina Gentile Review

First shave today with my new Fatip Testina Gentile. Several observations; first, the more razors I try (recently added RR Old Type, also), the more impressed I am with my daily driver, the Parker Variant.

Now onto the Fatip. It is not at all what I was expecting. It is very mild. Milder than a DE89 or my Variant set on 1. I know what you’re thinking; “it says Gentile in the name, dummy!” True, however from the reviews I’ve read, the consensus opinion seemed to be that it was a “mild-er” version of it’s aggressive big brothers Grande and Piccolo. Therefore, I was expecting something a little more aggressive than a DE89. The Gentile had 0 blade feel.

The results were generally good but DFS was the best I could manage, since no matter how many times I touched up problem areas under the jawline, I couldn’t shave those areas any closer than DFS. On the positive side of the ledger, it is a VERY gentle and comfortable DFS, so it will have a place in my rotation on days when my face is feeling raw or I’m shaving back-to-back days on less than a 24-hour cycle. Obviously, this is a first impression but I feel like I got a good feel for it since I experimented with different angles and pressure throughout the shave. Maybe I will try again with a very close cutting soap like ABC and a more aggressive blade and see if that makes any difference.

Overall Grade: Given that it will be a razor for limited use cases, albeit good for those applications, I give it a solid B.

Setup
Testina Gentile Gold with new Gillette Platinum
Vintage Blades Two Band Badger brush
PannaCrema Pure 2o Vetiver
Proraso Blue balm

I recently added the Gentile to my small DE collection. For me, this is another example of the YMMV! I found the Gentile to be more efficient than my other DEs, yet comfortable without drama while shaving (compared to my experiences with an Old Type!). I liked it enough that I went looking for a Piccolo and Grande, with the plan of getting proficient with the feel of the razor assembly than moving to the more aggressive open comb to see how that goes.
I did experience that a Gillette Silver Blue or Sharp Edge seemed to work better than an Israeli Red for me. The Reds are my goto blade, typically comfy and efficient in my Slim or Fatboy.

I recently added the Gentile to my small DE collection. For me, this is another example of the YMMV! I found the Gentile to be more efficient than my other DEs, yet comfortable without drama while shaving (compared to my experiences with an Old Type!). I liked it enough that I went looking for a Piccolo and Grande, with the plan of getting proficient with the feel of the razor assembly than moving to the more aggressive open comb to see how that goes.
I did experience that a Gillette Silver Blue or Sharp Edge seemed to work better than an Israeli Red for me. The Reds are my goto blade, typically comfy and efficient in my Slim or Fatboy.

That matches my experience as well. I would agree with the OP that it is less aggressive than the R89 in terms of blade feel, but I also find it more a tad more efficient. I also almost got a Grande within a month of purchasing the Gentile, I just find these to be terrific shavers, and as you so well put it 'without drama'.

Adjusting to the Grande was very easy, and no doubt it's a more aggressive razor, but in use if you're comfortable with the Gentile, then the combed version will be no problem to use.

In any case, the R89 has been benched and I don't see myself picking up another razor for a while.

Thanks for sharing your observations!

I have two suggestions:
1. It always takes me awhile to 'dial in' a new razor. Thus, your observations may change with more use.
2. A new razor means that I need to revisit my blade choice. So, it may be worthwhile to try a few different blades to see if your opinion changes.

In any event a solid B is not a bad grade!

I have two suggestions:
1. It always takes me awhile to 'dial in' a new razor. Thus, your observations may change with more use.
2. A new razor means that I need to revisit my blade choice. So, it may be worthwhile to try a few different blades to see if your opinion changes.

+1! This is my experience, as well.

Nice review, @lafrancis thanks for sharing with us. I've been interested in these for a while.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

I have two suggestions:

Yup.

Can not figure this razor out. I just got one a couple weeks ago, tried three times with 3 different blades all ending in several weeper and severe razor burn. Any advice on how to use thos thing? For comparison, i have no problems at all with my super adjustable on 7 or my slim adjustable on 5.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Can not figure this razor out. I just got one a couple weeks ago, tried three times with 3 different blades all ending in several weeper and severe razor burn. Any advice on how to use thos thing? For comparison, i have no problems at all with my super adjustable on 7 or my slim adjustable on 5.
I would try to pick a blade and stick with it for a bit. Blades tend to break in. Also, you're used to shaving with razors that have a blade gap. The Gentiles don't have blade gap, so it has a different feel. It gives it a deceptively smooth feel. It is smooth, however, smoothness does not equate mild. I prefer the term that it is smooth and efficient over aggressive yet it can be and is deceptively so. Though it is probably a mid range to upper mid range on the aggressive scale imo.

Because you are used to the feel of gap, maybe you're unconsciously using more pressure to recreate the same feel that your razors with gap have? To me that would result in what you describe is happening when you use the Gentile.

I've also heard some say they have trouble finding the right angle with the Gentile. I've never experienced this. I have become more conscious of maintaining a consistent angle with it especially when going atg. That and maintaining a lighter touch, even lighter than I thought was a light touch, this razor really shines.

Despite its smooth feel, all Fatips are razors that demand a certain finesse, or you will pay for it. Just my thoughts, but I say just shave with it for a month straight without changing any factors and get to know it.

Last edited:

The Slim adjustable on 5 or 6 was my preferred razor and setting, giving consistent good shaves. I read many posts regarding the Fatip razors before seeing a Gentile in the B-S-T. When it came, I used what for me is a sharper blade over my usual go to blade, and proceeded to shave as Raven described above: light touch and paying attention to the angle. I was rewarded with one of the smoothest (closest) shaves I've had in a long time! As Mike (esox) has noted in his Grande Journey thread (in the Journals section), I need less passes with a Gentile to get similar results as with my standard Slim shave.

After 3 weeks with the Gentile, I spent Christmas week with my Slim and Fatboy. I found that again, paying close attention to the angle gave stellar shaves!

I found my Gentile to be extremely smooth, which may make it seem like it's not very efficient, but it is. My Gentile seems to be more efficient than my DE89 for example, while it is also much smoother - thus being deceptive.

I will agree that a Gentile takes a bit of time to find the right angle. This is exasperated by it not having a great deal of auditory feedback. There's some auditory feedback, but it's not a lot. My Piccolo is similar, so maybe it's a Fatip thing.

Here is my review of my first shave with my Gentile, where it's clear I couldn't find the angle: https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...-which-should-i-try-next.530305/#post-9301055

Here's a not long after follow-up, where I'm still struggling a bit with angle: https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...-should-i-try-next.530305/page-2#post-9306634

So I really think the advice of exclusively spending a significant block of shaving days with it, is great advice. As it is good advice for any new razor. Specifically in the case of my early experiences with my Gentile in relation to my DE89, I found the gentile seemed to work better with a wider (less steep) shaving angle.

Another thing to consider, is it possible the blade alignment was off? Needing to take great care with blade alignment is unfortunately a Fatip feature!

Also for what it's worth, my Gentile works great for me with GSB.

And finally, if you indeed do find the Gentile is less efficient than you prefer, may I suggest a Piccolo or other Fatip open comb? I wouldn't give-up my Piccolo for anything! Seriously.

Thanks @Capisco Capisce. I will continue with the Gentile. Have had a few more shaves with a Nacet in it, and the shaves have improved a little. Still not at the point where it's more as/more efficient than ED89. May also try GSB as you suggest, although not generally one of my favorite blades. Also, I've heard others have problems with alignment but mine seems to align pretty easily.

Thanks @Capisco Capisce. I will continue with the Gentile. Have had a few more shaves with a Nacet in it, and the shaves have improved a little. Still not at the point where it's more as/more efficient than ED89. May also try GSB as you suggest, although not generally one of my favorite blades. Also, I've heard others have problems with alignment but mine seems to align pretty easily.
You're welcome, LaFrancis.

I probably need to try my trusty old DE89 again too, just to remember where I've been before I moved-on.

I must say this though, if you want something that's very smooth, yet also very efficient, I highly recommend the Fatip open comb head. I've got a Piccolo, and can't seem to put it down. Just under $20 USD, at Maggard's. All brass, nicely plated in nickel, and a real steal!

I highly recommend the Fatip open comb head. I've got a Piccolo, and can't seem to put it down. Just under $20 USD, at Maggard's. All brass, nicely plated in nickel, and a real steal!

I'm going to experiment a little more with my recent acquisitions, but I see a Piccolo in my future at some point.

Acquired one not long ago through a PIF here. First shave or two was terrifying, feeling that naked blade on my face, but I quickly got over it and it has been my go-to ever since.
If I was forced to only keep one razor, the Piccolo would be it.

I had been shaving for over a year with my trusty DE89, then on my first shave with my new Piccolo I was totally blown away, and completely smitten.

All for under 20 bucks ...

I've been shaving with a gentile black chrome coating for a month now. Its an awesome razor, very smooth and very efficient. I do not need to use any pressure and it cuts hair to a bbs / DFS shave in two passes. Though the coating of the black chrome razor is slowly fading and the finish is exposing the chrome on the handle where I hold it and on the head which passes over the skin. I have mixed feelings over this coating coming off as I know there is chrome underneath and finally a nickel coating / solid brass inside, hence it will not impact performance or life.

The piccolo older version with the shorter width cap is another awesome but aggressive razor and the new Piccolo head is milder, but I like the old piccolo better.

The QC / finish on the newer generation fatips has improved quite a bit and are the best value for money razors today made in brass !

As usual YMMV, I used a R89 for a year and a half before I tried another razor. I'm not trying to collect razors, but I just felt at the end the R89 was a bad combo of too much free hanging blade vs not nearly efficient enough. I could buff all day, and never get certain spots clean.

First use of the Gentile was pure joy, and eliminated both issues right away. The Grande even more so, but right now I prefer the Gentile over all. Still need time with both though. (I do feel that there's a tendency on forums to jump to conclusions to quickly, there is skill involved here after all, and blade matching is also important, at least for me.)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If I was forced to only keep one razor, the Piccolo would be it.

I had been shaving for over a year with my trusty DE89, then on my first shave with my new Piccolo I was totally blown away, and completely smitten.

All for under 20 bucks ...

My Grande killed my RAD on its first stroke. I think a lot of people might actually be turned off by the low price. Its a fantastic razor, and for $20 everyone should try one.

It can take some time to adjust to them and hone your technique, but once you're there they deliver like no other DE in my opinion.

Top Bottom