What's new

*Fatip Slant*

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fatip Friday
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Durham Duplex DuBarry Handle)
Blade: Bolzano (3)
20210319_151726~2.jpg

The FOCS Rocks! 🦊 :punk:

The combo of FOCS, Feather blade (2), Proraso Green cream, and a 48-hour beard after a week of simple 1- and 2-pass shaves instead of 3 passes produced one of my best shaves ever. Perhaps my skin is more rested, or perhaps the stubble is infinitesimally higher and the blade can grab it better.

I'd noticed 2 weeks ago when I started with the Feather in this razor that the combo felt rather nervous and tricky, as if I might cut myself all too easily. I took it very easy and nothing happened. Today, though, the Feather seemed just plain smooth and efficient.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1239193

Ah, another handle which fits the Fatip. Did it require modification or just happen to natively fit? It's not a handle I have but it looks very interesting on the FOCS.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I picked up a (reportedly) NOS Durham Duplex on the auction site and the handle fit without any modification.

It feels like solid brass and has some heft fot the size.

The overall feel is nice. Balanced and maneuverable.

Today I received mine FOCS chrome. Tested today with Silver Blue, at last a dream came true.. My ordinary razor is a Grande, that thing beats it,not that I would throw out the Grande, but it's similar to it, not so aggressive, less blade feel, but effective like the grande. According to me FOCS cuts at micron deeper, I make 3 passes, with the FOCS I made 2 and could call it a day, but made the third one too (chasing the BBS). Aftershave told me almost nothing. All in all, very satisfied with it, very good purchase. I would tell the guys that are on the fence "You should try one".

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Friday 20210326
Fatip Friday
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Joris Palladium and Yew Wood Handle)
Blade: Bolzano (4)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Venom Handle (TNS 26mm Timberwolf Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Moisturiser: Nivea Post Shave Balm + Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado
20210327_060248~2.jpg
20210327_060400~2.jpg

The FOCS Rocks! 🦊 :punk:

Great way to start off the week! Yesterday’s SOTD
Razor: FOCS
Blade: Tatra Platinum
Brush: Maggard 22mm SHD Bulb
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: Stirling Executive Man
Have a great day y’all!
This razor shines for me getting rid of multiple days growth! Just when I’m considering selling/trading it, it impresses me again!
E61F4228-DA1F-4DFD-BABB-FFB42FD6E030.jpeg

The combo of FOCS, Feather blade (2), Proraso Green cream, and a 48-hour beard after a week of simple 1- and 2-pass shaves instead of 3 passes produced one of my best shaves ever. Perhaps my skin is more rested, or perhaps the stubble is infinitesimally higher and the blade can grab it better.

I'd noticed 2 weeks ago when I started with the Feather in this razor that the combo felt rather nervous and tricky, as if I might cut myself all too easily. I took it very easy and nothing happened. Today, though, the Feather seemed just plain smooth and efficient.
I just used the same razor/blade combo (this time with Tabac soap), and had a fantastic shave. This is the 3rd shave on this blade. Usually I toss all my blades on the first of the month after 2-3 shaves. This month I'm experimenting to see if I can go longer.

Why is Fatip's poor QC a thing? Recently received a FOCS from Maggard. Poor Fatip packaging allowed it to bang around in the box causing some of the thin chrome to rub off. The handle was peppered with rough spots. Maggard said Fatip was unfortunately known for poor QC and some people just accept it. Not me, got a refund. Oh well, I've got 5 other slants.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Why is Fatip's poor QC a thing? Recently received a FOCS from Maggard. Poor Fatip packaging allowed it to bang around in the box causing some of the thin chrome to rub off. The handle was peppered with rough spots. Maggard said Fatip was unfortunately known for poor QC and some people just accept it. Not me, got a refund. Oh well, I've got 5 other slants.

I hear about this of course and it can happen.

Let me see how many Fatips I have purchased. One Mk1. Two Schönes. One Grande. One Piccolo. One Joris-Plissson. One Gentile. Two FOCS. One FCCS. I think that's all.

One of the Schönes had QC issues and was returned.

I have no complaints about the other Fatips. In general I prefer them to most other razors I've purchased. The FOCS in particular is one of my very favorite razors (of the perhaps two hundred razors I own).

It seems fair to me to complain about the QC, but I'd also say other components of Fatip's processes are stellar, particularly including design. Considering these are all metal razors the pricing is pretty impressive, too. A

ll in all, Fatip offers a lot for a little in my view.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I hear about this of course and it can happen.

Let me see how many Fatips I have purchased. One Mk1. Two Schönes. One Grande. One Piccolo. One Joris-Plissson. One Gentile. Two FOCS. One FCCS. I think that's all.

One of the Schönes had QC issues and was returned.

I have no complaints about the other Fatips. In general I prefer them to most other razors I've purchased. The FOCS in particular is one of my very favorite razors (of the perhaps two hundred razors I own).

It seems fair to me to complain about the QC, but I'd also say other components of Fatip's processes are stellar, particularly including design. Considering these are all metal razors the pricing is pretty impressive, too. A

ll in all, Fatip offers a lot for a little in my view.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Agree 100% with @Chan Eil Whiskers.

I think I may have as many Fatip, Schöne and Joris razors as you have. Never had to return any of them.

For less than $50 US, you get a razor that is 100% Brass and shaves among the best out there.

Once in a very great while, I might need to nudge a blade tab to perfectly align the blade. No more than 30 seconds out of my day, and infrequently at that.

Just my opinion.

I had to bang the centre post in place, and the blade alignment is bunk, but I still like the damn thing.
Hammer?
It did not brake?
I have one that it doesn't even close unless you press hard and of course the blade alignment is off. Might just try that....it's useless anyway as is.

I used a large screwdriver and tapped it until the baseplate went on more easily. The blade gap is uneven from one cutting side to the other, but I still use it. It would’ve cost me almost half the price of the razor to return it so I said F**k it and tried fixing it myself.
Be careful! I’d hate to see you break it.
Hammer?
It did not brake?
I have one that it doesn't even close unless you press hard and of course the blade alignment is off. Might just try that....it's useless anyway as is.

Defects can happen, that doesn't mean all Fatips are bad. You have a sample size of one.

My OC Slant Piccolo was shipped all the way from Spain. It arrived in like new condition. The alignment is good and the shaving performance is excellent. It is an all-brass razor that cost $25. I consider that a very fair price for what I got.

I also have a v1 Piccolo and v2 Grande. They shave nicely. There are a few blemishes in the plating on the handles. The plating doesn't need to be thick, since these are all brass. For $20 or less, I am content with them.

The main point is, they perform well and they are all-brass. This is why people buy Fatips. They don't have to be perfect, they are good for what you pay.

I have three Fatips, two FOCS and one Schone, and they've all been fine.

For the price I wouldn't complain about little issues with the finish- they're meant to be used and other lesser razors are much more. Chinese knock-offs are a similar price.

However, I don't see any reason razors with real alignment or blade seating issues should ever EVER leave the factory and be sold.

Throw em in the vat, melt em down, and make a great razor out of it.

A business loses more selling marginal product than they ever make with the sale itself.

That said, Fatips are easily my favorite DE razors. The FOCS is a miracle.

Top Bottom