What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Anyone have issues separating the base plate and cap on their FOCS? I just received one today and it’s quite difficult to pry them apart. I think the base plate is getting caught up on the threads on the cap “post”. I’m hoping it will wear itself in over time, cause it’s a bit sketchy when a blade is involved. Otherwise I’m quite pleased with it.
My defective golden FOCS is like that . One post is crooked. Difficult and dangerous to unload blade, blade is not well centered, mine was not a good shaver.

You are #3 or 4 that I hear same issue this week.

You don't see that many people posting just to say: "Hi, everything is great. Loving it!" People tend to post more when they have a defect or an issue of some kind.

I got my Fatip Slant Piccolo the last week in January. As far as I can tell, the alignment is spot on. It shaves very well.

Just thought it might be good to provide a contrasting viewpoint to offset the Fear, Uncertainty and Dread being shouted from the rooftops.

If you have a defect, then return it and get one that is not defective, would be my advice. That is more effective than trying to punish the company by slamming them at every opportunity on the forums.

You don't see that many people posting just to say: "Hi, everything is great. Loving it!" People tend to post more when they have a defect or an issue of some kind.

I got my Fatip Slant Piccolo the last week in January. As far as I can tell, the alignment is spot on. It shaves very well.

Just thought it might be good to provide a contrasting viewpoint to offset the Fear, Uncertainty and Dread being shouted from the rooftops.

If you have a defect, then return it and get one that is not defective, would be my advice. That is more effective than trying to punish the company by slamming them at every opportunity on the forums.
I have said before I have 3 that work and the last one is defective; and I think people should know the truth!

I have said before I have 3 that work and the last one is defective; and I think people should know the truth!
I'm glad you are interested in the truth. The truth is every manufactured good that is produced has a percent defective, whether it be cars, dishwashers, computer components, etc. That is why there are return policies and warranties. Maybe Fatip has a higher than average percent defective, but it does not serve the truth to exaggerate that.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a bunch of Fatips (not in the league with Rave @Raven Koenes, but, still, a bunch). One was defective. The vendor replaced it.

My Fatip list
  1. Mk1 Grande (formerly my favorite Fatip by miles)
  2. Mk1 Grande (New In Box, so haven't actually checked it out)
  3. Mk2 Grande
  4. Piccolo
  5. Gentile
  6. Joris Plisson, nine teeth
  7. first Schöne (defective, returned and replaced)
  8. replacement Schöne
  9. closed comb slant (sold to a collector)
  10. chrome FOCS (tied for favorite Fatip)
  11. gold FOCS (tied for favorite Fatip, and maybe ahead by a nose)
I think that's all of 'em. When the nickel FOCS comes out, I'll buy it. When Joris Plisson makes a slant, I might buy it.

Like 'em all, including the Piccolo which is a great razor if you put a Grande handle on it.

Just reporting.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’m not sure but aren’t the Piccolo and Grande the exact same razor head with different handles?

proxy.php

It works almost every time.

I just got another razor in the mail, a FOCS piccolo gold (from the Razor Company- competitive price in the US and prompt shipping). This makes #18 of the Fatip family.....probably worthy of some therapy

Shave:
Kai 5th use
MDC
Muhle synthetic
Speick AS
AquaVelva 5-1
2+ pass shave. Now this was a very, very smooth shave and very efficient. At the end I had 3 weepers which is unusual (happens when I extend the blade use w Feather past 3 or the evil Gillette Super Thin from Thailand.....)
Anyway this is a champion razor.....and the blade was good. In the future will try w a new Kai......I think next I will try some Gillette blades I like and some Israelis, too.
My lemon golden FOCS was purchased in UK hence prohibitive to ship back for exchange.....we all lose money in this (except faith), the handle is good.....

Another shave using the focs piccolo, this time w a new Nacet.
Soap: captains noreast4er
Brush Muhle synthetic
AS Captain Noreaster
Balm: Predeprovance

3 passes good stuff, no blood. Close and non irritating shave. The Kai blade is easier to center manually due to the larger size. BTW I tried the defective cap w the new piccolo and the cap doesn't even fit.....that is how crooked the pins are.....

Mine arrived today, ordered from Connaught shaving, it took 13 days to arrive to Mexico.

Gold FOCS :pipe:

1614663985190.jpeg 1614663985169.jpeg

1614663985259.jpeg 1614663985281.jpeg

1614663985235.jpeg 1614663985213.jpeg

This is my first slant razor and also my first Fatip. What a beautiful piece of craftsmanship :c18: ,

No dents or blemish on the plaiting, the blade seems to align perfectly. Going to pair this beauty with a Perssona red blade. This is my first slant razor and also my first Fatip.

Mine arrived today and I've just shaved with it using a new Nacet blade and tabac soap.

Amazing.

Yep, amazing. So smooth and efficient. Ive used a fatip piccolo and a schone solely for over a year so I'm accustomed to efficient open comb razors. But this one is unique. It honestly cut effortlessly, more efficiently and closer while being smoother than both the piccolo and schone. As for fit and finish, the razor looks good. Usual milling lines on the side of the cap/comb and some minor thin plating on the inside of the cap but nothing that matters or that isn't also on my other two fatip razors. The blade also lines up far better and more naturally than my other too with only minor need to manually adjust after I loaded in the blade several times in a row with perfect alignment just to see if it was consistent. Again, I'm used to adjusting the blade manually so this is a bonus that I hadn't expected! The only issue I can think of is one corner of the cap doesn't sit as flush as the other 3 corners. This leaves a little gap and the blade naturally isn't perfectly flat on that corner, however I shaved with that side on both sides of my face for the first pass to see if it would cut me and it didn't. I also did an atg Pas on the neck and cheeks and it was far smoother than my other two razors while also cutting better. Like I said, no irritation despite actually doing more overal passes than normal. This is partly possible imo due to my extra effort in lathering lately but I suspect it's not just that. For those of you concerned about a faulty razor, I actually contacted my supplier and asked them to inspect the razor before shipping it, they did and confirmed it had no obvious defects or faults.

First shave with it 9/10 but only because 2 little tiny nicks under my chin. Tomorrow I aim for 10/10. ;)

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

Hi!
Every thing with my Fatip and Schone razors is wonderful here!
I think I have five now including my FOCS, no alignment issues whatsoever.
I even had to give one to my friend who loves his also.
😁😁

I just acquired a couple of Fatips in a trade (thanks, @Nofx_Phan!).

Zero blade alignment issues.

Used the Piccolo this morning and was rewarded with a very close, smooth shave. I think in a couple of spots I didn't get quite as close as I do with my GC.84, but you know, first day with a new razor (and for that matter first shave with the blade, which is one I know smooths out on shave 2). It is a superb shaver. Efficient, not aggressive, and quite intuitive as far as head angle.

Assuming all goes well with the Piccolo slant tomorrow, an FOCS is probably on the horizon. As it is, this little Piccolo (I do find the handle a bit thin, but the handle length is fine with me...I think) has already unseated my DE89 as my travel razor, and I could easily see the head on a larger handle being my daily driver.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fatip Friday
20210305_150502~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale with Joris Palladium and Yew Wood Handle
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: TFS Rasozero - Barbacco
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Havana by Aramis

Love my Fatip Lo Storto Originale. Kicked up the elegance factor a notch by using the Joris Palladium and Yew Wood Handle. A very comfortable and elegant combination. :thumbup:

Outstanding shave and excellent results! :cool:

Top Bottom