What's new

*Fatip Slant*

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am very frustrated. I just received my second Fatip slant, and I gave explicit instructions to the vendor to please verify that the blades aligns without wiggle before I purchased. They confirmed that was the case. Upon opening, I have a 2nd with more wiggle room than the first.

I am very frustrated. I just received my second Fatip slant, and I gave explicit instructions to the vendor to please verify that the blades aligns without wiggle before I purchased. They confirmed that was the case. Upon opening, I have a 2nd with more wiggle room than the first.
Once you begin to tighten it, and the blade begins to twist, doesn’t it begin to center up?

If it were super tight on the pins before the bending began, it would bind.

How much moving are we talking?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Once you begin to tighten it, and the blade begins to twist, doesn’t it begin to center up?

If it were super tight on the pins before the bending began, it would bind.

How much moving are we talking?
What I do is this:

When I drop a blade in and begin to screw with the long part of the baseplate against a towel, I get wildly discrepant results. As in, one side of the razor is barely showing any blade, and the other is showing a ton.

When I drop a blade in and begin to screw with the razor upside down, holding the top cap with one hand, the results are equally as frustrating.

What I do is this:

When I drop a blade in and begin to screw with the long part of the baseplate against a towel, I get wildly discrepant results. As in, one side of the razor is barely showing any blade, and the other is showing a ton.

When I drop a blade in and begin to screw with the razor upside down, holding the top cap with one hand, the results are equally as frustrating.
Sorry bro, haven’t experienced that issue. I would definitely send it back.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
What I do is this:

Same thing happens with my Fatip Nobile Tuxedo. I have to manually adjust the blade with my fingers, if you can imagine that delicate process, as I'm tightening it down to make sure that there appears to be equal blade exposure on both sides for the final tightening twist. It's doable, but I can only imagine how much more difficult this process would be for a slant head. Might even be impossible. It's the Fatip Curse!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
9-29-20.Votos.FOCS.RV-IBO.480.JPG

Just an update on my little saga.

I described my issue to my vendor, and they said this is the second time they've had the same complaint about the FOCS, and they're going to send my photo (posted earlier in the thread) to the manufacturer. Moreover, they gave me a choice between a refund a replacement (although I'd need to wait a couple of weeks until they have the FOCS back in stock).

I'm leaning towards waiting for the replacement, since I liked shaving with the razor so much!

Also, I thought the vendor's response was great! Can we give shout outs to vendors in the forum?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Just an update on my little saga.

I described my issue to my vendor, and they said this is the second time they've had the same complaint about the FOCS, and they're going to send my photo (posted earlier in the thread) to the manufacturer. Moreover, they gave me a choice between a refund a replacement (although I'd need to wait a couple of weeks until they have the FOCS back in stock).

I'm leaning towards waiting for the replacement, since I liked shaving with the razor so much!

Also, I thought the vendor's response was great! Can we give shout outs to vendors in the forum?
Very good. What vendor did you use?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So many guys on the forum are saying this slant razor is great, I'm willing to take a risk on the QC issue.

I'm not sure its a QC issue. I think with mine, the tolerances are so tight the problem arises when the blade itself is seated and torqued to match the curve in the cap and base. I measured and compared my slant to my Grande that I've had three years now. They're virtually identical. Especially the lengths of the threaded studs.

I forgot to mention the handle.

Grande Length: 81.45mm - 12.25mm thick at the widest point.
Slant Length: 80.95mm - 11.95 at the widest point.

Stud Length
Grande: 12.27mm
Slant: 11.92mm

Any difference I feel must be imaginary.

Thats pretty consistent for any mass produced part over a three year time span. There is one difference I have noticed that might cause the problem I'm having. I didnt even notice it until I looked at this picture.

IMG_3314.jpg

At the very base of the threaded stud theres a section thats cylindrical, not threaded and has squared shoulders. The stud on my Grande is threaded for the entire length of the stud.

IMG_3351.JPG

The very base of the stud in my slant is 0.186" in diameter. The very base of the stud in my Grande is 0.173" in diameter.

I think, when the handle is tightened down and the blade gets torqued, because of the slightly larger base diameter of the stud, the blade is binding on it when fully seated.

The inside diameter of the center hole in a Polsilver is 0.200". They get stuck tight. The inside diameter of the center hole in a Derby Extra blade is 0.202". I didnt have to fight to get a Derby Extra blade out of my slant. The center holes in the blades should be large enough for them to slide on and off a stud .186" in diameter, easily and without binding, but the thin very flexible DE blades when torqued may behave quite differently.

Assuming the above as correct and the cause of my issues, I'm not sure I could use a Dremel to fix it. I can barely even see it, never mind work on it. I'll have to think about that a while...

Maybe @Raven Koenes could bring that to the attention of Fatip before they get swamped with returns.

Tuesday September 29
Ten minute hot shower
Boker-Hollow something or other. Restored with Buffalo scales. That’s all I know right now.
FIRST STRAIGHT RAZOR-SHAVE
Lo Storto
Feather
Zenith Chubby Scrubby Boar B27 - 28mm x 55mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

Lo Storto’s last Slantember outing was a little quicker on the face. A Boker with Buffalo horn scales on my first straight outing removed the five day growth. About the same resistance in whiskers as the remaining blood from the straight. A small task for Lo Storto to complete the 95% straight shave and ease it into a very comfortable BBS. Without too much strain on a 1st use Feather an excellent ATG Single Pass BBS head shave. Above average post skin comfort. I can hardly wait for my next shave.

My First Straight Shave is posted in my journal. If blood 🩸 upsets you don’t go there.

6BDB1229-D979-4C03-AC9A-EA4014FD623B.jpeg

What I do is this:

Deffo send it back.

Top Bottom