What's new

*Fatip Slant*

I went ahead and tried a second shave with my new focs and still didn't like it. Doesn't shave as close as my R41 or top aggressive Yaqi slant. I also can't get past the super short handle. Look for it here in the For Sale section soon. 😒

I have no idea why the slant seems inefficient to you. I'm certainly not disputing your observations and reports, but my whiskers are tough as nail yet easily and efficiently mowed down with my FOCS loaded with a Polsilver.

My previous favorite Fatip was the Mk1, for the record.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Might be I just have a “dud”. Who knows?...

Steep, shallow, doesn’t matter. The razor’s no good for my thick whiskers. I like very aggressive razors. Razors that I can feel the blade edge while using. The OC slant is way too mild. For reference, my go-to’s are a 37c and Fatip Grande. Been shaving with those for years.
Interesting, I get better shaves w the fatip slant vs the the Merkur or RR 37 and fatip OC. I do not like the MK1=irritation.

Mi 5 cents, give it another try and change to a good new blade and different soap.... .

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Lord Platinum (8)
Brush: APShaveco Synbad
Soap: Scheermonnik Delfts Wit
Aftershave: Reuzel
035_40.jpg

Continuing right along, everything was right with this shave up until the end. I rinsed the razor and went to pat it off on my towel when I dropped it. I have hard tile floors. I picked it up and examined it. Everything seems to be fine. The only thing it seemed to do was knock the handle loose. I took it apart to look at it further. The blade seems to be fine, so I didn't swap it out. I put it back together, and we'll see how tomorrows shave goes. That will be the test.

Blade: Lord Platinum (8)
View attachment 1132000
Continuing right along, everything was right with this shave up until the end. I rinsed the razor and went to pat it off on my towel when I dropped it. I have hard tile floors. I picked it up and examined it. Everything seems to be fine. The only thing it seemed to do was knock the handle loose. I took it apart to look at it further. The blade seems to be fine, so I didn't swap it out. I put it back together, and we'll see how tomorrows shave goes. That will be the test.
Hope it still shaves Ok. Otherwise there seems 2 others will sell theirs....a replacement.

Yesterdays First Lo Storto Shave.

Tuesday July 28
Ten minute hot shower
Lo Storto (first use)
Voskhod (1)
Omega Jade- 011842 - 27mmx52mm (First use)
Pre-Shave - Wickham Gentle Glycerine Face Soap Cashmere
Vitos Extra Super Coco (first use)
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

The Razor
All my stainless razors were sold. They were excellent razors. They did not suit my shave style. It wasn’t personal The Fatip Gold Grande is that much better. Grande loaded with a Feather 1st use will give me a BBS+ shave with a minimum number of strokes. The Bomb. I love my Gold Grande. Just when I thought I was out....Lo Storto the slant. Open comb looks like, feels like and is .4 grams lighter than the Grande. It is the Grande with a twist. In my hand it feels the same as the Gold Grande. I’ve used two slants earlier in the year. They were efficient. Even mild slants have that distinction. Slants manipulate the blade to increase blade rigidity. Rigid blades cut better. I don’t know all the technical stuff. Side by each you can see a little wave in both sides of the blade. Slant shavers say use them just like a normal razor and that’s the way the previous slants worked for me. The question. Can Lo Storto with the advantage of more blade rigidity shave better than the Grande? In my mind to be fair, Lo Storto is loaded with my most familiar blade Voskhod. If it shaves more efficiently than Grande/Feather. It will be a sad and a happy day for me.

The Shave
New brush, new lather, new razor. What could possibly go wrong? Nothing because they are all above average products. So I did get an above average BBS almost plus shave. The first stroke of a familiar blade felt very unfamiliar. There is no doubt about blade edge, I would call it very distinct. The twist in the handle I felt for half the face shave and then I couldn’t feel it, much like the Grande. The head felt heavier than the Grande. I weighed both heads after the shave. Lo Storto is .1gram heavier, the weight of a coffee bean. Obviously I can not feel that weight difference. The head looks heavier so I thought it felt heavier. That is my optical illusion with the slant. The .4 gram difference in over all weight I cannot feel either. The Voskhod did not feel like the blade I’m used to. The edge presence and they way it cut. The Voskhod felt much like the Feather and not quite as Smooth as the Voskhod in the Grande. I will put the efficiency as good as the Feather because the shave was. Lo Storto was easy enough to find the angle on either steep or shallow. It felt better steep angle I don’t know why. I prefer more shallow angle on my head shave but used more steep strokes they seemed to feel better this shave. I don’t hear or feel blade resonance with too many strokes, but it does come up for a few strokes here and there. The Voskhod resonance was totally different in Lo Storto. A higher, brighter sound and feel to what I am accustomed to in the Grande.

First impression Lo Storto is most definitely more efficient than the Grande. I’m biting my lip but it is smoother than the Grande. The neck shave my most sensitive areas were smoother with minimal buffing required. Very minimal buffing required anywhere even the swirls on the back of my head. I was more conservative with first use and that is why the Voskhod was a bit less shave than the Feather in the Grande. The Voskhod did not feel as smooth in the Lo Storto as it does in the Grande. Shockingly close and the second shave will reveal a better look. The angles are in a slightly different place than what I’m used to with the Grande. I think that is why the shallow strokes did not feel dialled in. I will be more familiar and less conservative with the next use.

Overall if you like Fatip, open comb and chrome (no gold available) you will love this razor. I do.

Attachments

• 636D16FF-0F46-471A-8A51-A28D9B4F3E1C.jpeg
    636D16FF-0F46-471A-8A51-A28D9B4F3E1C.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 66
  • B76905C5-95F7-47C3-B535-CE4ABD0CA5D2.jpeg
    B76905C5-95F7-47C3-B535-CE4ABD0CA5D2.jpeg
    568.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 5334AFAF-2789-41AF-B1CC-DEB139098903.jpeg
    5334AFAF-2789-41AF-B1CC-DEB139098903.jpeg
    639.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 6DC0B744-7B30-4799-8696-72E38B3767F6.jpeg
    6DC0B744-7B30-4799-8696-72E38B3767F6.jpeg
    724.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 4D8D7D34-698B-40D8-989F-83085438510E.jpeg
    4D8D7D34-698B-40D8-989F-83085438510E.jpeg
    719 KB · Views: 55
  • 39DC2FB6-0309-4484-BCFF-71C975396272.jpeg
    39DC2FB6-0309-4484-BCFF-71C975396272.jpeg
    760 KB · Views: 48
Sir, you make the wrong assumption. I didn't want to troll.quite the contrary, if you read my other posts i went out to my local shop to buy one. then i discovery it had alignment issues and gave it my middle finger. that's it
I wish that I had a local shop that I could walk into and look at Fatip razors, in person. Lucky guy!

Most of us probably ordered our razors online, sight unseen. I couldn't have been the only one waiting for it with my fingers crossed. If it was defective, I would have had to send it back to Connaught in England (I'm in Canada).

Anyway, I hope you find a nice, straight Fatip and that it provides you with many smooth, comfortable shaves. :thumbup1:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Lord Platinum (9)
041_40.jpg

My shave today with my Lo Storto continues to be fantastic. Dropping it about 3 1/2 feet, onto ceramic tiles, did not effect the twisted one in the least. It was not even dinged or scratched. I thought it might turn it into a Roedter Lo Storto 1909 after such a drop. I was happily mistaken. I would need to use a back-up Fatip Lo Storto for that experiment. Since I'm on sabbatical that will have to wait. I did not swap out for a fresh blade after dropping it. Upon shaving with it, I could tell the blade was not damaged. It shaved exactly like a Lord Platinum on day 9.

Blade: Lord Platinum (9)
View attachment 1132519
My shave today with my Lo Storto continues to be fantastic. Dropping it about 3 1/2 feet, onto ceramic tiles, did not effect the twisted one in the least. It was not even dinged or scratched. I thought it might turn it into a Roedter Lo Storto 1909 after such a drop. I was happily mistaken. I would need to use a back-up Fatip Lo Storto for that experiment. Since I'm on sabbatical that will have to wait. I did not swap out for a fresh blade after dropping it. Upon shaving with it, I could tell the blade was not damaged. It shaved exactly like a Lord Platinum on day 9.
Sabbaticals and waiting can be good. I’m not on a sabbatical but waiting for a back-up purchase, with hopes of G_ _ D. No pressure Rave😀

Another shave with the FOCS tonight. I deliberately haven’t shaved for a few days to see whether I could use this as a single pass razor.

The simple answer is that I can’t. It’s almost there, but a second pass was definitely required.

I still can’t get over how smooth and efficient both the OC and Gentile are. I still give the nod to the Gentile though. They’re both phenomenal razors though. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fatip Friday Shave 20200731
20200731_071312~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale :001_wub:
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Brush: RazoRock 24 Barrel Silvertip
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: @OkieStubble Bootlegger's El Dorado

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Fatip Lo Storto Originale is definitely one of my favorite razors. Another World Class shave! :)

My Lo Storto has shipped. They say Tuesday sometime. Since I'd planned to shave on Tuesday morning anyway, and I usually plane myself off every 48 hours, I may have to wait until Thursday to try the chromed beast out.

On the other hand, the Merkur Progress showed up in early June a day earlier than predicted. So who knows.

Top Bottom