What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Raven Koenes

My precious!
they're NOT "supposed to" have issuses. The fact is the chance of having alignment issues is very high. The fact you're lucky and bought one faultless doesn't disprove that.
I own 30 Fatips in all their models in chrome, nickel, and wood. I have a 1980's vintage 12 comb Fatip in Nickel, I have four Mk1 Fatips with the 18mm cap in Grande, Piccolo, and two Retros. The rest are all new Mk2's all in Grandes, Piccolo, Retro, Piccolo SEm, Woods, Nobiles everything. I've bought four other ones to gift to friends. I have never bought one that wouldn't align. Every single one of them shaves fine. I think there is no issue with Fatips, only people who have issues with them. I personally think you are disgruntled with an axe to grind.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I own 30 Fatips in all their models in chrome, nickel, and wood. I have a 1980's vintage 12 comb Fatip in Nickel, I have four Mk1 Fatips with the 18mm cap in Grande, Piccolo, and two Retros. The rest are all new Mk2's all in Grandes, Piccolo, Retro, Piccolo SEm, Woods, Nobiles everything. I've bought four other ones to gift to friends. I have never bought one that wouldn't align. Every single one of them shaves fine. I think there is no issue with Fatips, only people who have issues with them. I personally think you are disgruntled with an axe to grind.

Rave, I had a Schöne with problems. It's not unheard of.

However, I mostly agree with you. I have only a few Fatips - 2 Mk1 Grandes, an Mk2 Grande, a Piccolo, a Gentile, a FOCS, a Gentile slant, a Schöne, and a Plisson-Joris - none of mine have alignment issues.

The one most perfect in alignment is the FOCS. Although I check it every day (almost every day) it's always perfectly weirdly aligned just like it's supposed to be.

Still, it's not unheard of.

Happy shaves,

Jim

think what you will but the vast majority of italian expert tonsors will confirm you about Fatip historical problems with blade alignment - ask Mauro Di Lernia, Luca Dinaro, etc - But if thinking fatips are perfectly built makes you feel happy, well continue doing so.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
think what you will but the vast majority of italian expert tonsors will confirm you about Fatip historical problems with blade alignment - ask Mauro Di Lernia, Luca Dinaro, etc - But if thinking fatips are perfectly built makes you feel happy, well continue doing so.
I'm not saying I don't have to align a lot of them. I do that when loading a blade once a week, so what I'm not a sissy girl. I think you're new and came on specifically to troll

Okay, arguments aside -

My FOCS arrived in the mail today. Unboxing is done and it has a blade loaded. I'll shave with it tonight after my shower.

First impressions -

- The box was pushed shut a little too far. But nice presentation otherwise.
- Plating is perfect to my eye
- GSB blade loaded completely straight on first attempt, no issues at all
- It really could do with another 5mm of handle length. It's not too short for me to use, but it is shorter than my Schöne's handle which is very comfortable. I can see why it generated a complaint. I like the deeper twist ridging on the FOCS better though. Either way I'll happily use the FOCS with its stock handle.

We'll see how it goes tonight.

Okay, arguments aside -

My FOCS arrived in the mail today. Unboxing is done and it has a blade loaded. I'll shave with it tonight after my shower.

First impressions -

- The box was pushed shut a little too far. But nice presentation otherwise.
- Plating is perfect to my eye
- GSB blade loaded completely straight on first attempt, no issues at all
- It really could do with another 5mm of handle length. It's not too short for me to use, but it is shorter than my Schöne's handle which is very comfortable. I can see why it generated a complaint. I like the deeper twist ridging on the FOCS better though. Either way I'll happily use the FOCS with its stock handle.

We'll see how it goes tonight.
I hope you like it.

So I took my shower after getting out of the pool and shaved with the FOCS.

Excellent razor. Far smoother than expected, kind of blew me away. And as efficient as I wanted it to be. I used Proraso green cream and aftershave splash, and the latter got my attention a bit but not bad at all for how close the shave was. No redness anywhere either. It’s only been one shave but this is very promising. It’s certain to be a rotation piece.

I'm not saying I don't have to align a lot of them. I do that when loading a blade once a week, so what I'm not a sissy girl. I think you're new and came on specifically to troll
Sir, you make the wrong assumption. I didn't want to troll.quite the contrary, if you read my other posts i went out to my local shop to buy one. then i discovery it had alignment issues and gave it my middle finger. that's it

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I should have said none of my Fatips have alignment issues a couple of seconds of fiddling can't fix. The amount of fiddling once you figure it out really is tiny. It really is a couple of seconds and that on autopilot or almost.

However, my FOCS has required zero fiddling. Its alignment has been perfectly askew every time. Every time the alignment is exactly right without any fiddling at all. I use the razor daily and I flip the blade daily. The alignment has never, not once, been wrong in the FOCS.

The alignment is so good I realized I forgot to check it a few times in the last few days, but I like to look at it, so I usually do even though I know I can trust it to be right.

Like @pdieten I found the first shave with the FOCS amazingly smooth and efficient. A light hand is required but isn't a light hand always indicated and smart?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sir, y ou make the wrong assumption. I didn't want to troll.quite the contrary, if you read my other posts i went out to my local shop to buy one. then i discovery it had alignment issues and gave it my middle finger. that's it

If I had bought one with actual alignment issues I'd feel much the same. I'd also return the razor and get another one.

As I mentioned earlier I had a bad Schöne. The vendor I returned it to was aware some bad Fatips make it through their QC process. None of my other Fatips have had problems.

Should any have problems? No.

Speaking of trolls, I'm pretty sure I sometimes see one around my house, mostly in mirrors. Mostly on a bad day which we all have occasionally. The internet's a strange thing with everything dependent on the written word without the inflections and nuances of speech.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Sir, you make the wrong assumption. I didn't want to troll.quite the contrary, if you read my other posts i went out to my local shop to buy one. then i discovery it had alignment issues and gave it my middle finger. that's it
I do apologize sincerely for the troll comment. That wasn't called for. Hopefully we can leave it there. Happy shaves to you with the accoutrements that add to your bliss.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Lord Platinum (7)
Brush: APShaveco Synbad
Soap: Scheermonnik Delfts Wit
Aftershave: Reuzel
032_40.jpg

Today's shave was once again Lo Stortotastic. I'm looking at all the other Fatips gathering dust. I'm thinking, I might throw the Lo Storto head on my Zebrano wood handle next week. I can start doing a rotation like that so they don't go to waste. The Dutch soap and aftershave are very nice. The sandalwood-apple scent of Reuzel lingers very nicely. It's as slick as pigs fat, turned to liquid, with alcohol as a drying agent. The result leaves your face supple. Oddly there's no animal fat in it. It is quite manly. I have gotten a lot of suggestions for Belgian soaps. If only I wasn't on sabbatical.

I like the handle, but that’s about it. No alignment, or angle issues. I had high hopes, but regret buying it now. My OC slant is one of my worst shavers. I doubt I’ll ever use the hunk of junk again. Ymmv

What angle did you use?
Steep, shallow, doesn’t matter. The razor’s no good for my thick whiskers. I like very aggressive razors. Razors that I can feel the blade edge while using. The OC slant is way too mild. For reference, my go-to’s are a 37c and Fatip Grande. Been shaving with those for years.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Steep, shallow, doesn’t matter. The razor’s no good for my thick whiskers. I like very aggressive razors. Razors that I can feel the blade edge while using. The OC slant is way too mild. For reference, my go-to’s are a 37c and Fatip Grande. Been shaving with those for years.

I have no idea why the slant seems inefficient to you. I'm certainly not disputing your observations and reports, but my whiskers are tough as nail yet easily and efficiently mowed down with my FOCS loaded with a Polsilver.

My previous favorite Fatip was the Mk1, for the record.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hmm. interesting. I have a Fatip piccolo and the FOCS, and FOCS seems more efficient for me. Maybe try a different blade and see if that makes any difference.

Top Bottom