What's new

*Fatip Slant*

By the way, I didn't just fondle the razor and take photos. I actually shaved with it. I swear!

Here was the setup; all Italian except for the blade (are there any Italian-made blades?)...

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp Stainless
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Cream: Vitos Classic (Eucalyptus & Lanolin)

proxy.php

Like everybody has been saying, the FOCS is a great performer. I took Jim's advice to shave steep and not deviate from one's normal routine. I can attest to the effectiveness of that strategy. What you get is a surprisingly mild, yet extremely efficient, shave. Two thumbs up! [emoji106]
Bolzano's are Italian blades, but no longer made in Italy. That's the only one I know of.

... and there's that brush again. I didn't know that brush even existed a week ago, but now I see it often. How do you like yours?

I actually picked one up yesterday, gave it my customary defunking lather in doggy shampoo last night, and will do my first shave with it today. I break my brushes in the old fashioned way - by using them

Ciao a tutti! Lo Storto Originale è arrivato! (Hello everybody! The "Original Slant" has arrived!)

proxy.php

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to shave with it. I had just finished shaving when the doorbell rang. When I answered it, nobody was there, but a small cardboard box from Connaught was sitting on the doorstep.

Here's the requisite beauty shot:

proxy.php

One odd thing: After I unscrewed the handle, I had a lot of trouble getting the cap to separate from the baseplate. After about 30 seconds of jiggling them, I got them apart. It's like the cap's pins don't quite align with the baseplate's holes. The fit was a bit better when I turned the baseplate 180°, but it still takes some fiddling to get them on and off.

Anybody else having this issue? I'm wondering if I should just live with it because I'd sure hate to have to send this all the way back to England for a warranty replacement.

I had the same issue separating the top cap and baseplate on my first Gentile. It’s improved each time The problem is hardly noticeable now.

I’ve bought a few more as spares and there is definitely a small difference between each razor.

None of them are problematic and I wouldn’t be tempted to return it as there’s no guarantee that you won’t experience the same issue with the replacement.

Bolzano's are Italian blades, but no longer made in Italy. That's the only one I know of.
I was thinking of using a Bolzano because it sounded Italian, but mine is made in Germany. :001_tongu

... and there's that brush again. I didn't know that brush even existed a week ago, but now I see it often. How do you like yours?

I actually picked one up yesterday, gave it my customary defunking lather in doggy shampoo last night, and will do my first shave with it today. I break my brushes in the old fashioned way - by using them
These brushes are popular in Canada because they're carried by a nation-wide drug store chain (Shopper's Drug Mart/Pharmaprix). One day, I was in there to buy a tub of Proraso Green and there it was.

It's now 7 years old and it has been in my rotation since the start. It took a while to break in, but it quickly became one of my favourite brushes.

I had the same issue separating the top cap and baseplate on my first Gentile. It’s improved each time The problem is hardly noticeable now.

I’ve bought a few more as spares and there is definitely a small difference between each razor.

None of them are problematic and I wouldn’t be tempted to return it as there’s no guarantee that you won’t experience the same issue with the replacement.
Thanks for the info!

I'm also finding that it's getting easier to separate the cap and baseplate. I've learned that slowly lifting the baseplate while the cap rests on a towel allows them to glide apart. But if you lift it quickly, they catch and bind. Patience is the key (...or as Master Po says to Caine: Patience, young grasshopper! :biggrin1:).

These brushes are popular in Canada because they're carried by a nation-wide drug store chain (Shopper's Drug Mart/Pharmaprix). One day, I was in there to buy a tub of Proraso Green and there it was.

It's now 7 years old and it has been in my rotation since the start. It took a while to break in, but it quickly became one of my favourite brushes.
Thanks. Got mine at Pharmaprix as an impulse buy. I had spent way too much time agonizing over which brush to buy next, saw the 10005 (which was not one of my choices) and just bought it.

First shave was today. I break in my brushes the old-fashioned way, one or two defunking lathers and just use it normally from now in. It's definitely got potential, but today, it's nickname was Lather Killer. I had to reload every pass, which is normal for most new boars.

To bring this thread back in track, my next purchase will be a Fatip Storto

Gave into my curiosity and a little rad and got a FOCS from maggards on the 4th for the free shipping. My first slant and will be the last DE I buy I swear :biggrin1: might go back to my 1912 gem if not satisfactory.

Last edited:
The Fatip Lo storto has Arrived Today. I followed this thread closely and want to add that the hype is real. I just shaved with the Fatip Lo Storto and wanted to share my experience. This is my first Fatip as well. It performed flawlessly and to my surprise was very much efficient as it was smooth. It took me 3 times to get the blade aligned but it was a very tight fit which I liked. This has to be the best bargain in the shaving world. One of the best shaves of 2020 and I feel everyone should have one in their den. Fatip Lo storto is so smooth on all 3 passes and just does it’s job with no fuss. 1st pass I had to check if the blade was aligned properly as I didn’t want to have any weepers. Best advice on here was to shave as you would shave with any other razor. So I didn’t overthink and didn’t go slow because it was a slant & an open comb. 2nd pass across the grain was a pleasure and realized how efficient the razor is. The thing that puzzled me and Asking myself was “But How?” , but it surprised me even further on the last pass. 3rd pass was a true delight. This razor is no joke and I fully understand it’s capabilities. Against the Grain was so so smooth and just reassured every hair follicle was gone. IMO Fatip Lo storto is an awesome razor and deserves the praise it’s getting. I am so excited for my upcoming shaves this week with this gem. Thank You to all who contributed to this Fatip Lo storto thread.
7CEB4C2F-2FB9-463C-A9BF-B3AF0ECA2402.jpeg

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Shark Platinum (1)
Brush: Maggard 22mm Synth
Cream: CRS Wild Rose
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave
View attachment 1113457
Shave today was with my Fatip Lo Storto. It's simply the best DE razor in the known universe. It took awhile for Fatip to develop it, but like all great Italian Art perfection takes time. It is high art not at all like the $9.99 per sq. yard art you find being sold on the streets.

This thread and specifically this post made me order the oc slant from Connaught today. After roughly 8 years away from B and B in my first week back I've bought the Omega jade boar and Cella classica cologne. I'm also looking forward to trying the Gillette silver blues that come with the razor. Let the enabling begin.

<iframe src="A Christmas Story GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY - https://giphy.com/embed/l0ErLxJ2BnhC7SjRu" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

IMG_4761.jpg

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

It finally came. The La Sorto Gentile.

The name is extremely fitting. It is very Gentile. I loaded it with an Astra SP on it's second shave. I used Boarzilla to load up some MWF. I put on BB King's Bluesville on SiriusXM to relax and proceeded to have a most delightful shave.

This is like the Originale's little brother. His sweet, kind, gentle little brother. Where the Originale is the heavenly host choir with harpsichords and trumpets and a fine wine, the Gentile is more smooth jazz with pianos and saxaphones and a single malt scotch. Smooth, refined, dignified.

I had to check multiple times if I even put the blade in, it was that smooth. The only thing smoother that the razor was my face when I was done. So mild, so sweet, yet so very efficient. It is the perfect match to the Original and it's blade feel, mid-aggressive efficiency. I had zero alignment issues or tightness issues. I placed the blade on the cap, the base on the cap, screwed the handle on and shaved. The alignment was absolutely perfect.

If I was forced to get rid of every razor I own except 2 😱😨, I would keep both Fatips. If I was forced to keep only 1, It would be the FOCS. If these 2 razors had been out when I started, I would never have bought any others. They are that good. I am going to finish the week out with the Gentile then, on Sunday, I will change to my Parker SSL with the new short handle to see how it stacks up.

The wait is over and the search has ended. Fatip knocked it out of the park, not once, but twice.

I've shaved twice with the Fatip slant closed comb/Gentile, and I'll echo that it is a very smooth razor that glides well and feels friendly. I do still have blade alignment issues (I can't get both sides to look similar although they are straight) as the 2 guide pins are slightly narrower at the base where they are soldered on, but it doesn't appear so far to affect the shave or be noticeable when shaving (like my regular Gentile as well). Grip is good even if wet; not so much if soap gets on the handle.

I should add that I prefer milder razors and like the closed comb more than the open comb for the regular Fatips, so I haven't tried the Fatip open comb slant.

In short, a great razor that I'm happy to own (along with my regular Gentile). I do wish that it came in gold, so there's that.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
<iframe src="A Christmas Story GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY - https://giphy.com/embed/l0ErLxJ2BnhC7SjRu" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

View attachment 1122528

View attachment 1122529

View attachment 1122530

The name is extremely fitting. It is very Gentile. I loaded it with an Astra SP on it's second shave. I used Boarzilla to load up some MWF. I put on BB King's Bluesville on SiriusXM to relax and proceeded to have a most delightful shave.

This is like the Originale's little brother. His sweet, kind, gentle little brother. Where the Originale is the heavenly host choir with harpsichords and trumpets and a fine wine, the Gentile is more smooth jazz with pianos and saxaphones and a single malt scotch. Smooth, refined, dignified.

I had to check multiple times if I even put the blade in, it was that smooth. The only thing smoother that the razor was my face when I was done. So mild, so sweet, yet so very efficient. It is the perfect match to the Original and it's blade feel, mid-aggressive efficiency. I had zero alignment issues or tightness issues. I placed the blade on the cap, the base on the cap, screwed the handle on and shaved. The alignment was absolutely perfect.

If I was forced to get rid of every razor I own except 2 😱😨, I would keep both Fatips. If I was forced to keep only 1, It would be the FOCS. If these 2 razors had been out when I started, I would never have bought any others. They are that good. I am going to finish the week out with the Gentile then, on Sunday, I will change to my Parker SSL with the new short handle to see how it stacks up.

The wait is over and the search has ended. Fatip knocked it out of the park, not once, but twice.

So.....does that mean you liked it? ;) 🤣

">via GIPHY</a></p>

View attachment 1122528

View attachment 1122529

View attachment 1122530

Dear Mods,
please close this thread.
For the sake of my sabbatical's success: STOP IT NOW!

(PS: thank you, gents, for your excellent reviews!)

Just had my first shave with the FOCS and a GSB. I shaved twice yesterday so there wasn't a lot for it to get hold of, however after a single pass and touch ups the result was a pleasantly surprising close comfortable shave. I'll use this set up exclusively for a couple of weeks to dial it in then report back. No issues at all with blade alignment, I'm pretty sure the FOCS would do well on multiple day stubble.

I've shaved twice with the Fatip slant closed comb/Gentile, and I'll echo that it is a very smooth razor that glides well and feels friendly. I do still have blade alignment issues (I can't get both sides to look similar although they are straight) as the 2 guide pins are slightly narrower at the base where they are soldered on, but it doesn't appear so far to affect the shave or be noticeable when shaving (like my regular Gentile as well). Grip is good even if wet; not so much if soap gets on the handle.

I should add that I prefer milder razors and like the closed comb more than the open comb for the regular Fatips, so I haven't tried the Fatip open comb slant.

In short, a great razor that I'm happy to own (along with my regular Gentile). I do wish that it came in gold, so there's that.

You would likely be surprised were you to try the OC slant. It is not like the Regular OC Fatips. Very different razor.

I had to check multiple times if I even put the blade in, it was that smooth.

Why multiple times? I would think that after you confirmed the presence of a blade the first time you checked, you would remember for the rest of that shave that you already checked and the blade was, in fact, there. I would hate to suggest something as terrible as early onset dementia, but to have to check to see if you put a blade in multiple times over the course of a few minutes could be a little concerning.

Top Bottom