What's new

*Fatip Slant*

I think I’ve given the OC slant a fair shake now. Can’t say I’m the biggest fan of how it shaves. I do like the handle though. Meh,.. Might come back to it in the future, but I much prefer my 37c and Grande.

Sorry, not to go sideways on this thread, but I had a question for those of you who ordered your Fatip Slants from Connaught Shaving for stateside delivery when they were available...
I ordered and paid on April 02nd, and received notification the two I had ordered had been sent ( "despatched" ) on April 03rd. I have not received them since then (coming to Kansas City Missouri). I realize that Covid19 has slowed everything down significantly, but I have never had a Connaught order take anything much over a week, let alone a month. Did any of you experience a similar month long delay before delivery?
DCJ

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sorry, not to go sideways on this thread, but I had a question for those of you who ordered your Fatip Slants from Connaught Shaving for stateside delivery when they were available...
I ordered and paid on April 02nd, and received notification the two I had ordered had been sent ( "despatched" ) on April 03rd. I have not received them since then (coming to Kansas City Missouri). I realize that Covid19 has slowed everything down significantly, but I have never had a Connaught order take anything much over a week, let alone a month. Did any of you experience a similar month long delay before delivery?
DCJ

I ordered my slants before the mail got terribly slow. They were only a bit slow in coming.

However, I later ordered soap. That order took over a month after it was mailed by Connaught - on March 23rd - to arrive at my office in Georgia. I'm sure it's a virus issue. Connaught is fast and mail from them is usually fast.

Your order will arrive soon. I just have a feeling about it. When I say soon I'm talking Jamaica Time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

As someone who ordered those Fatip slants as soon as I found the point in the thread that they were now available, and from whom, I do hope your correct...

Looking at the incredibly sad situation in Northern Italy, it might also be a little while before anyone has them in common stock again.

I found a Fatip on eBay the other week and picked it up for $25 shipped. It arrived last week and sat on my vanity while I waited to put it into the rotation. I finally got to it today and am pleasantly impressed! It shaves as smooth as a Merkur 34c, but gets incredibly close! I have a few slants and there are a few that feel more aggressive than they are, this is way more aggressive than it feels but even with a 3 pass I have zero irritation. Top 5 DE razor for me. Take it or leave it.

Your order will arrive soon. I just have a feeling about it. When I say soon I'm talking Jamaica Time.
Happy shaves,
Jim

Well kind Sir, your feeling was entirely correct... My long delayed box from Connaught's in today's mail. I am eagerly awaiting tomorrow's first shave...

Well the results are in... About par for the Fatip course. Both the OC & CC are beautiful razors.- Well chromed, nice weight, really sharp looking handles.

The CC that I received is simply unusable. I tried to align the blade in a towel, in my hand, upside down, and any other way I have ever read about on B&B. I did get a nice slice in my left index finger for my efforts, but nothing worked.. Not multiple new blades, not old blades. Nothing will align correctly on this razor. Like my son's money pit 1984 Jaguar, it is a hunk of beautifully designed,poorly constructed shiny metal. Foolishly, I tried shaving with the one side that seemed less affected with a new Kai blade... The results were bloody and bad. Gave up. Did not even bother to finish one bloody, painful pass.

Dropped the same new Kai blade into the OC, the blade aligned perfectly, and I finished with the best slant shave I have had in a long time. This razor is what everyone says it is. It's a keeper and will definitely go into my daily rotation.
The CC will go into the Fatip parts bin. The handle will see service with a transplanted Piccolo mk 1 head. Somewhere down the line I will try again on the CC. Two or 3 times in, I hope to get useable CC slant that I can actually shave with...

Like I said, about par for the Fatip course.

Caveat Emptor....

No one having them in stock along with The Wunderbar being out of stock, is the only thing keeping me in 3 Sabbaticals. LOL.
Managed to pull the trigger on one at yourshaving but its the gentile version havent used it yet,
got along with it a piccolo and its the best shaver ive got so far
the slant has a lot of QC issues on the finishing, my wife thought i bought it used cause of the plating marks lol
but im a fatip nut and love my piccolo just need an OC slant version now, when its back in stock of course

DCJ
I think my 2nd took 24days, further south....

Well the results are in... About par for the Fatip course. Both the OC & CC are beautiful razors.- Well chromed, nice weight, really sharp looking handles.

The CC that I received is simply unusable. I tried to align the blade in a towel, in my hand, upside down, and any other way I have ever read about on B&B. I did get a nice slice in my left index finger for my efforts, but nothing worked.. Not multiple new blades, not old blades. Nothing will align correctly on this razor. Like my son's money pit 1984 Jaguar, it is a hunk of beautifully designed,poorly constructed shiny metal. Foolishly, I tried shaving with the one side that seemed less affected with a new Kai blade... The results were bloody and bad. Gave up. Did not even bother to finish one bloody, painful pass.

Dropped the same new Kai blade into the OC, the blade aligned perfectly, and I finished with the best slant shave I have had in a long time. This razor is what everyone says it is. It's a keeper and will definitely go into my daily rotation.
The CC will go into the Fatip parts bin. The handle will see service with a transplanted Piccolo mk 1 head. Somewhere down the line I will try again on the CC. Two or 3 times in, I hope to get useable CC slant that I can actually shave with...

Caveat Emptor....
Why not try the cap that aligns well with the CC baseplate....that might work?

Caveat Emptor....

You’re definitely helping to keep me in my sabbaticals. I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you. I don’t know the fatip lore that everyone talks about but I surmise it has to do with quality issues. If its that much of a crap shoot, that’s enough to keep me away from them.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;4yr/10yr Sabbatical

Thanks Brian.

For me and a lot of others, Fatip is something of a crap shoot. When they work, they work exceedingly well and are just fantastic razors. If you are lucky enough to get one right out of the gate, they are even a tremendous value. I will confess that I own a LOT of razors ( ok, by my wife's head-shaking standards...) Including a lot of relatively well known and uncommon razors - a BBS-1 and 2011 R41, various vintage Gillettes and the full Gem lineup, for example, but there is a reason why my desert island razor would be a Fatip Piccolo Mk 1. I think that might be said for many in these parts as well. I kept reading about Fatips long before I got around to buying one and I lucked out in getting a good pony, first try...

Unfortunately, when Fatips are bad, they are bad indeed. I just factor it into a category of ROI microeconomics not taught taught in the college classroom. If you buy one for 25 bucks and it works as described, it is wonder in affordable brass. If you have to buy two to get one that works, you're out 50 bucks which is still reasonable.
More than that you might curse the Italian shaving gods, or wonder what the hype is all about.

The thought occurs to me as I am writing this Fatip razors are exactly like wives: some of us get lucky the first time out, and others have to cycle through two, or three, or even more for the unlucky... In either case, if you persevere, you don't die alone or without a really first rate shave....

DCJ

Thanks Brian.

For me and a lot of others, Fatip is something of a crap shoot. When they work, they work exceedingly well and are just fantastic razors. If you are lucky enough to get one right out of the gate, they are even a tremendous value. I will confess that I own a LOT of razors ( ok, by my wife's head-shaking standards...) Including a lot of relatively well known and uncommon razors - a BBS-1 and 2011 R41, various vintage Gillettes and the full Gem lineup, for example, but there is a reason why my desert island razor would be a Fatip Piccolo Mk 1. I think that might be said for many in these parts as well. I kept reading about Fatips long before I got around to buying one and I lucked out in getting a good pony, first try...

Unfortunately, when Fatips are bad, they are bad indeed. I just factor it into a category of ROI microeconomics not taught taught in the college classroom. If you buy one for 25 bucks and it works as described, it is wonder in affordable brass. If you have to buy two to get one that works, you're out 50 bucks which is still reasonable.
More than that you might curse the Italian shaving gods, or wonder what the hype is all about.

The thought occurs to me as I am writing this Fatip razors are exactly like wives: some of us get lucky the first time out, and others have to cycle through two, or three, or even more for the unlucky... In either case, if you persevere, you don't die alone or without a really first rate shave....

DCJ

We won’t talk about wives. Lol. But if the ROI for fatips has the potential to match mine on wives, I’ll pass. [emoji6].

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;4yr/10yr Sabbatical

Fatip Lo Storto Originale SOTD

SOTD-OB-FS-VR-Y_2020-05-05.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (4)
ASL: Proraso Red

A lovely shave. :cornut:

Like my previous Lo Storto the blade lines up perfectly, though of course being a slant it doesn't look like it does (lucky me, considering Fatip's quaint QC system). On this model both locating pins stand up vertically (when the cap's sitting face down on the counter)... so hopefully neither of them will decide to ping off (like the previous one). Using what felt like virtually negative pressure I landed up with an excellent BBS shave — so easy. :biggrin:

Thanks Brian.

DCJ
I agree 100%,
i fell in love with the fatip design but read a lot of bad things about OC fatips being super agressive, decided to stick with a gentile, bought it for around 22 euros, first use was ok but did not remove stubble even with feather blade and a lot of irritation, plus the finishing was meh at most but i am ok with it its a nice razor but not efficient and could never get a blade aligned properly in it.
so i got the bug and went to start collecting all models, tried the piccolo for the first time, feather blade aligned right away first try, it was the smoothest closest shave (with 3 passes) i ever got with any DE or even gillettes fusion, now tomorrow im out to try the gentile slant i recently got which the blade seems to align right away too.

I say play the italian roulette its worth it, i never thought the piccolo results were even possible.

PS: though i hope that Fatip keeps the ****ty QC cause that way they will remain affordable, as soon and it gets hyped and better QC im sure it will burn a hole in your pocket

Shiny happy people...

if I read correctly, between the lines I used to think I could read between, lo' these many years in, I still can't align a blade correctly..smh.

When it works, it works really well. My Fatip Slant OC worked perfectly out the gate, my CC is a nightmare. I am unconcerned and hardly in the position of trying to talk anyone out of buying one of those shiny Italian curiosities.
I have both purchased and dated/married a few. I am not worrying about it anymore and I am not in sales...

DCJ

Solid Lo Storto Originale shave today. Was testing a German Wilkinson Sword against one of my standards, the Rapira Platinum Lux. Somehow the Piccolo SE handle I put on the Lo Storto just won’t go home. Looks good, shaves better.

Call me crazy, BOSC crazy, but everybody else is doing it wrong.
F750093A-6D12-4C52-8364-97417A3A33CD.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I had, returned to the vendor, and had replaced a bad Schöne.

I have now a few Fatip and Fatip-made razors.
  • one Schöne
  • one Plisson Joris
  • a Gentile
  • two Mk1 OC Grandes
  • an Mk2 Grande
  • a Piccolo
  • the OC Slant
  • the CC Slant
None mentioned have any quality control issues (other than the returned and replace Schöne). None have alignment issues. None have bad looking finishes.

Admittedly I'm not one to very closely examine all my razors and compare their finish with my Wolfman.

...very hard to do.

Besides all that, Fatips are good shavers; all of them are good shavers. I've long said the Mk1 is my favorite Fatip, but it's been displaced by the FOCS. I believe the FOCS is the best DE razor I've used. It might be the best razor I've used. Of course, that's speaking only of my experience and my face and whiskers.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom