What's new

*Fatip Slant*

They’re inexpensive enough to just keep buying until one gets a “perfect” copy while saving bits and pieces of previous purchases as spare parts, if one is dedicated and inclined enough to do so. Alternatively, there are other ways to burn money.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Ah, but @x79ftw has very positive things to say about a well made Fatip. As do many.
Well, I didn't post about what it's like if you are lucky enough to get one that works, I was simply referring to their lousy QC.

I'm not a hater and use one occasionally, but like the above post by @Robert G , I had to buy another (back in 2012) to get something serviceable.

Not sure if the blade is that much more rigid as in other slants, nor do I think the Fatip is less slanted. See below pic, with left Parker, middle RR37, right Fatip:
View attachment 1081733

Rigidity comes with how the blade is clamped in the head, less exposure is more rigid, how twisted the blade is, more twisted is more rigid, and how bent it is, more bent more rigid.
Blade exposure on the Fatip is not less than on the other razors, certainly not remarkably small.
Bent, as opposed to twisted, means basically how curved the edge is. The Fatipedge is straight, as opposed to for instance the Valencia.
View attachment 1081734

So in short I do not see how the blade can be more rigid, and have not experienced it as more rigid.
Many thanks for your comprehensive reply Richard, appreciated. :001_cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200402

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

20200402_165901~2.jpg

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: n/a
Brush: OMEGA 011842 Jade Premium Pure Bristle
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto GENTILE
Blade: Bolzano (1)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Skin Toner
Aftershave Balm: Bath & Bodyworks Hyaluronic Acid Gel
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

WTG, XTG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS+ with one small weeper, no nicks, cuts or irritation. Great shave!

First shave with the Lo Storto GENTILE. Blade loaded correctly on the first try. Very nice slant razor.

Good combination of hardware and software. :)

YMMV

2nd "Lo Storto Originale" REPORT

SOTD-G_2020-04-02.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 22/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos 'Red'
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (2)
ASL: Proraso Red

WOW! What a shave. So close. After so long with my RazoRock GC84 I'd kinda forgotten what really efficient DE razors were all about. Mind you, I should probably have kept using my previous blade as my new Wizamet may well be adding to Lo Storto's efficiency.

:bayrum2: In a masochistic sort of way, I suppose it's fortunate for me that I actually enjoy ASL burn, which I haven't experienced for quite some while.

The Vitos 'Red' soap is as nice as I've always found it to be, but after so long with Proraso Red... that's something else I have to dial in (again).

So it's looking like another steepish learning curve ahead for the near future... and in true B&B fashion I've (again) thrown the 'M' in my signature to the wind. :letterk1: :laugh:

3rd "Lo Storto Originale" REPORT

SOTD-R_2020-04-03.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 22/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos 'Red'
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (3)
ASL: Proraso Red
Another great shave (Lo Storto #3). I still have a way to go 'cuz :bayrum2: . One thing I didn't mention before was that I love the handle with the twisted fluting, far superior to the standard Grande vertical fluting IMO.

Wait. I’m late to the party here. There‘s a Fatip open comb slant?? WTH? I just gave up slants for an OC. After 10 years of almost exclusively using a slant I’ve been cutting myself far too frequently lately So I went to an OC and love it. Now you tell me I can get an OC Slant? Dang it. I don’t need to do this.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
OMG! Girl.jpeg

You probably know what's coming.

Fatip.OC.Kit.4-4-20.Vitos.Zenith.Unbleached.Boar.480.JPG

First shave with the Fatip Open Comb Slant today, so how was it?

That's what the OMG is about!

Let's see.
  • Could I even feel the blade? No.
  • Did the combs seem like they were there? No, not unless you count the occasional comb pattern of left behind lather.
  • Was the razor efficient? Yes.
  • Was the razor efficient like OMG efficient?...Yes it was!
  • Was it even a tad hard to insert and align the blade? No, the blade aligned itself perfectly without any fiddling at all.
  • Was the handle slippery or anything? No, the handle is just the right size according to me, and not the least bit slippery.
  • So, what was wrong with the Fatip OC Slant? You're kidding, right? Nothing's wrong with it.

1586028282293.png

Probably, but it has to be compared to the Gentile version of the Fatip Slant to find out which is more perfect. Does that even make sense?

1586028372816.png

As I'm sure everyone knows, my Fatip slants have been in transit for a very long time. Rave @Raven Koenes has simply eaten his heart out knowing that my Fatip slants were on the way albeit apparently delayed in shipping whereas he couldn't even figure out how to order the slant until recently.

1586028616960.png

Apparently mine arrived a bit before Rave's, but I allowed him to shave with his first, just being nice. Still, I'm sure his Fatip OC is not as great as mine because mine is perfect. I even Barbicided mine and then washed it with soap and water and a toothbrush to get all the cooties off. Don't worry about that as they're down the drain.

Did I mention that I like the Fatip OC? If this report isn't enough, there is more here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 1082650

You probably know what's coming.

View attachment 1082651

First shave with the Fatip Open Comb Slant today, so how was it?

That's what the OMG is about!

Let's see.
  • Could I even feel the blade? No.
  • Did the combs seem like they were there? No, not unless you count the occasional comb pattern of left behind lather.
  • Was the razor efficient? Yes.
  • Was the razor efficient like OMG efficient?...Yes it was!
  • Was it even a tad hard to insert and align the blade? No, the blade aligned itself perfectly without any fiddling at all.
  • Was the handle slippery or anything? No, the handle is just the right size according to me, and not the least bit slippery.
  • So, what was wrong with the Fatip OC Slant? You're kidding, right? Nothing's wrong with it.

View attachment 1082652

Probably, but it has to be compared to the Gentile version of the Fatip Slant to find out which is more perfect. Does that even make sense?

View attachment 1082653

As I'm sure everyone knows, my Fatip slants have been in transit for a very long time. Rave @Raven Koenes has simply eaten his heart out knowing that my Fatip slants were on the way albeit apparently delayed in shipping whereas he couldn't even figure out how to order the slant until recently.

View attachment 1082656

Apparently mine arrived a bit before Rave's, but I allowed him to shave with his first, just being nice. Still, I'm sure his Fatip OC is not as great as mine because mine is perfect. I even Barbicided mine and then washed it with soap and water and a toothbrush to get all the cooties off. Don't worry about that as they're down the drain.

Did I mention that I like the Fatip OC? If this report isn't enough, there is more here.

Happy shaves,

Jim
It's only appropriate that your Fatip Slant arrived first given how long it was in transit. I'm humbled you let me go first. That was a nice review Jim! :w00t:

Looks nice. How does it improve on the standard Fatip Grande, though? I feel I get a great shave with that razor now.

I don't have a Fatip Testina Gentile, but I think I would be interested in the slant version of that one. An all-brass slant safety bar razor, with nice looks, for the price they are asking seems like a great deal. Would I choose it over the German 37 that I already have, that shaves great, though? Inquiring minds want to know.

❓

Looks nice. How does it improve on the standard Fatip Grande, though? I feel I get a great shave with that razor now.

I don't have a Fatip Testina Gentile, but I think I would be interested in the slant version of that one. An all-brass slant safety bar razor, with nice looks, for the price they are asking seems like a great deal. Would I choose it over the German 37 that I already have, that shaves great, though? Inquiring minds want to know.

❓

For a good while, my 2 main shavers have been a Grande and the 37c. They’re both excellent for me and my tough whiskers, especially the 37c. I have used the Fatip OC slant for 3 shaves, and have been underwhelmed with the performance. That’s not to say, that over time it can’t or won’t become a favourite. I’ll give it a fair crack for sure... What I noticed right away is that it’s not as aggressive as I’d hoped it would be. I feel more of the blade with the Grande and 37c, and I find both more smooth and efficient than the Fatip OC Slant.
A year on from now, I could have a whole different opinion.

Wait. I’m late to the party here. There‘s a Fatip open comb slant?? WTH? I just gave up slants for an OC. After 10 years of almost exclusively using a slant I’ve been cutting myself far too frequently lately So I went to an OC and love it. Now you tell me I can get an OC Slant? Dang it. I don’t need to do this.

Yes, you do. You NEED to.

At least the Lo Storto Originale (accept no SB substitute) costs far less than the Above the Tie S2.

Would I choose it over the German 37 that I already have, that shaves great, though? Inquiring minds want to know.

Some of us are ‘shavually promiscuous’. So we have many slant ‘close friends’. Some of us are OC positive or anti-zamak, so we have been needing an inexpensive brass OC slant. Some of us just like to argue with Fatip haters.

So many reasons. But the G37 is great, Merkur stubbornly refuses to bring back the 36, I appreciate RazoRocks many offerings, and this rabbit hole is a little crowded anyway...

So stick with the German 37. It is my go to razor in the Merkur head style and beats some more expensive slants hands down (my opinion).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Some of us are ‘shavually promiscuous’. So we have many slant ‘close friends’. Some of us are OC positive or anti-zamak, so we have been needing an inexpensive brass OC slant. Some of us just like to argue with Fatip haters.

So many reasons. But the G37 is great, Merkur stubbornly refuses to bring back the 36, I appreciate RazoRocks many offerings, and this rabbit hole is a little crowded anyway...

So stick with the German 37. It is my go to razor in the Merkur head style and beats some more expensive slants hands down (my opinion).

Just curious...tell me about the Merkur 36.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Just curious...tell me about the Merkur 36.

Razor curious... that describes me, too. So here is TMI on the 36. Mine might have been cataloged as a 36C.

Three piece razor. This would have been Merkur’s description: verchromt, kurze Verschraubung, schräg. That Google translates to “chrome-plated, short screw connection, diagonal”. To simulate one today, take the handle off a Merkur 15C or 33C and put a RazoRock German 37 head on it.

This catalog image pre-dates my razor, back to the versilbert era (courtesy of another B&Ber):
A2311F2C-9B13-4EC5-99E8-37BDEA42FEBF.jpeg

I bought mine in the 1970s, (after Merkur went from silverplate to chrome), gave it to my eldest son when he started shaving in high school, tried to trade him various razors to get it back, and it disappeared from his office a few months ago during some remodeling. But I have pictures, and shaved with it last Slantember 4th!

R - simulated
L - the real McCoy

4ACCB12A-6225-423A-8DA0-8B5D437893D7.jpeg

9CF82B55-8CBE-4847-A333-931D2345A8B7.jpeg

039D81FB-F6D0-403A-A32E-95ABB1204A41.jpeg

1D7F359D-5E78-4F03-9657-1AE44BF71BD8.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
To finish the show-and-tell; “...and that’s why I use a Piccolo handle on my Lo Storto Originale!”.

proxy.php

Razor curious...

Is the head just like the Merkur 37 but the handle is thinner and shorter? I'm not sure I'm getting the picture at all.

If I'm supposed to picture anything with a Piccolo handle...well, have I mentioned how much I dislike too skinny handles...something I learned from the Piccolo.

The Piccolo is a great razor if you put a Grande handle on it.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Is the head just like the Merkur 37 but the handle is thinner and shorter? I'm not sure I'm getting the picture at all.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Did some checking, @efsk identified the 36 model number for me and, I believe, posted that Merkur brochure.

The only readily seen difference in the heads is that the 36 cap has a short screw (3 piece) while the 37 has the long screw and and the base plate attached to the handle. There may have been minor changes in the heads in the 4+ decades since I bought my 36.

The 37 is ‘schwer’, or for our market, `HD’. The current Merkur short handle is about 9.5mm x 78mm (3/8” x 3”).The 36 handle is the same dimensions or very, very close.

West Coast Shaving says this about the short, skinny Merkur handle (from their 15C description): “The comfortable handle is approximately 3" long and is designed with a non-slip grip. It's one of the thinner handles you'll find, but don't fear, it's still easy to hold. The lighter handle means the weight is head heavy, which is want you want as the head should be doing all the shaving work.”

They are wrong about head heaviness, of course. :001_rolle

Top Bottom