What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
So, I take it that's a no? :lol1:
If I was standing next to you and you said "here try one of these" I would and maybe it would not be as bad as it sounds or I could even like it. But I'm not curious enough to spend money to find out. I'd rather order more Milkboy dark chocolate. My dad would probably like them though, he's a licorice fan.

Actually, I have come around a bit on anise. My wood carving teacher is Greek. So once in awhile we share a shot of Ouzo.

The big fat pills are indeed medicine. They are Drop or licorice. In this case Double Salt Licorice: Dubbel Zout – An extremely salty liquorice. It is as if the makers of Dutch drop had a bet to see how much salt they could add to the recipe before someone died (and then reduced it only slightly when someone finally did). Thus, my photo is drop dead gorgeous! :biggrin1:

I've been self medicating with DZ's all my life. Please don't tell big nurse, she might not understand. Lets keep it on a need to know basis. None of us want to see happens to someone in the throws of drop withdrawal (especially me).

The Horrors of Dutch Drop (Liquorice) - https://www.invadingholland.com/guides-to-holland/the-horrors-of-dutch-drop-liquorice

I like licorice and this post made me crave it so I bought a 4-pack of bags of Dutch licorice. It came with one each of drops, cats, coins, and DZ. I haven't had DZ before.

Not going to lie, the first one was a bit, shall we say, challenging. :wacko: I acquired the taste quickly though.

Going to have to stop now though. I'm old enough that too much licorice is bad for the blood pressure. So, especially since nobody else in the house will touch these, they'll last awhile.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Not going to lie, the first one was a bit, shall we say, challenging. :wacko: I acquired the taste quickly though.
It is funny how somethings that at first taste a bit "off" to us are easy to get accustomed to. I mentioned dark chocolate above. I started at 70% cocoa and it seemed not sweet enough and now I love the 85%.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Fatip with 2 slanted heads..jpg

Rumor has it the poor razor's mother ate too much of that Dutch licorice while the twins were in utero.

Her doctor had warned her.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
View attachment 1175520
Rumor has it the poor razor's mother ate too much of that Dutch licorice while the twins were in utero.

Her doctor had warned her.
Not true, Dutch Licorice is the reason they are the tallest people on average in the world. I'm 6' 5", and all the males in my family are at least 6' 2". The woman are just slightly above average for woman, they didn't eat enough I think. 😁 😂

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Not true, Dutch Licorice is the reason they are the tallest people on average in the world. I'm 6' 5", and all the males in my family are at least 6' 2". The woman are just slightly above average for woman, they didn't eat enough I think. 😁 😂
Here are some interesting observations from the skeptical cardiologist:

"The Dutch weren’t eating so-called healthy fats as “The main food sources of SFAs were cheese (17.4%), milk and milk products (16.6%), meat (17.5%), hard and solid fats (8.6%), and butter (7.3%).”
Surprisingly, the more saturated fat the Dutch consumed, the LOWER their risk of death from"

"Data shows that the Dutch are eating lots of saturated fat from dairy and meat, but it appears to be lowering their risk for heart attacks
Yes, despite 40 years of high saturated fat consumption, the Dutch have seen a 70% drop in mortality from heart attacks.
"

I grew eating a lot of cheese. Cheese is something you bring on every outing to share. My traditional family diet was pretty much milk, cheese, butter, meat, potatoes, and sweets. Breakfast was eggs, ham, and cheese, and, or, Pig in the Blankets. There is also a dish I grew up with my grandmother called Mouse, Maus In Da Haus (Mouse in the house) which is a mashed potatoes, kale, with sausage dish. The French paradox is that the red wine they drink offsets their diet high in saturated fat. Perhaps, Black Licorice could be the Dutch paradox (especially the double salt)?

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I like licorice and this post made me crave it so I bought a 4-pack of bags of Dutch licorice. It came with one each of drops, cats, coins, and DZ. I haven't had DZ before.

Going to have to stop now though. I'm old enough that too much licorice is bad for the blood pressure. So, especially since nobody else in the house will touch these, they'll last awhile.
1_9.gif

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
Soap: B&M Cheshire
Aftershave: B&M Cheshire (Splash)
040_40.jpg

Ah, the best shave of the week. Too bad it's my last shave of the week. Why does this always happen to me? This was the best result on my chin and lip area since I shaved off my round beard.

Next weeks line up: I think I'll continue with the same Gillette Platinum blade instead of swapping out for a fresh one. I'll use my Lo Storto again. I'm thinking of using Proraso Red. I have a lot of really good soaps, but Proraso just keeps popping up as the soap I desire to use. The splash will be Proraso Green. Until next week happy shaves and goodnight.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Here are some interesting observations from the skeptical cardiologist:

"The Dutch weren’t eating so-called healthy fats as “The main food sources of SFAs were cheese (17.4%), milk and milk products (16.6%), meat (17.5%), hard and solid fats (8.6%), and butter (7.3%).”
Surprisingly, the more saturated fat the Dutch consumed, the LOWER their risk of death from"

"Data shows that the Dutch are eating lots of saturated fat from dairy and meat, but it appears to be lowering their risk for heart attacks
Yes, despite 40 years of high saturated fat consumption, the Dutch have seen a 70% drop in mortality from heart attacks.
"

I grew eating a lot of cheese. Cheese is something you bring on every outing to share. My traditional family diet was pretty much milk, cheese, butter, meat, potatoes, and sweets. Breakfast was eggs, ham, and cheese, and, or, Pig in the Blankets. There is also a dish I grew up with my grandmother called Mouse, Maus In Da Haus (Mouse in the house) which is a mashed potatoes, kale, with sausage dish. The French paradox is that the red wine they drink offsets their diet high in saturated fat. Perhaps, Black Licorice could be the Dutch paradox (especially the double salt)?
A paradox indeed.

Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Brush: Yaqi synthetic 28mm
Soap: Wickham Citrus Musk
Rating: 9.75

A better shave today with the FOCS, BBS in places and DFS everywhere else. I used a steeper angle than before and that improved the comfort of the shave. I was careful with blade alignment and today both sides felt about the same efficiency. The FOCS still doesn't shave as close as the Blackbird but I'll
keep going with it for a while longer as it's a great razor.

Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Brush: Yaqi synthetic 28mm
Soap: Wickham Citrus Musk
Rating: 9.75

A better shave today with the FOCS, BBS in places and DFS everywhere else. I used a steeper angle than before and that improved the comfort of the shave. I was careful with blade alignment and today both sides felt about the same efficiency. The FOCS still doesn't shave as close as the Blackbird but I'll
keep going with it for a while longer as it's a great razor.

The Blackbird is tough to beat.

So I got my new FOCS today, and it has *precisely* the same issue as the previous one---namely, I have to jam the blade on, and it's quite hard to get the blade off. (This issue is even noticeable when assembling the razor without a blade.)

And just like the previous FOCS, when the blade's inserted, it appears to be both perfectly aligned with the comb as well as unjiggleable. It's only putting the blade in and taking it out that's the problem.

So anyway, I made a movie, but it looks like I can't post a movie so I'm posting a gif. And to make the gif small enough I deleted 62.5% of the frames, so it's got a real "old timey movie" feel (and might not be useful?).

I mean, I think at this point I'll just keep using the razor and try not to cut myself? Also, this way you can share if my "putting the blade in the razor" technique needs work.

View attachment 1174096
I have 3 and NONE has this issue. Try different blades......works well with Gillette ruskies, Personna, Lords and Atras.

Today's shave with the FOCS was incomparable. Third shave on a Personna Red blade; Palmolive Green Classic cream. My first pass on my left cheek startled me: It felt almost as if there were no blade in the razor, but I could hear the steady "shik, shik" of my beard being cut. Three passes, WTG, ATG, and XTG on the throat with cleanup, and aftershave, lotion, and powder left me feeling clean and darn close to BBS.

To those who wonder if a slant razor is worth it: YES.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shave with the FOCS was incomparable. Third shave on a Personna Red blade; Palmolive Green Classic cream. My first pass on my left cheek startled me: It felt almost as if there were no blade in the razor, but I could hear the steady "shik, shik" of my beard being cut. Three passes, WTG, ATG, and XTG on the throat with cleanup, and aftershave, lotion, and powder left me feeling clean and darn close to BBS.

To those who wonder if a slant razor is worth it: YES.

Today's shave with the FOCS was incomparable.

1604151282576.png

I agree a slant is worth it, but some slants are better than others. The FOCS is in that better category. Well, actually, the FOCS is in the best category, and may define the best category for most gentlemen who've tried it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom