What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Yeah, it's the #2 that doesn't work, as the blade just will not go on with out pressing. As for pulling it out, I definitely bend it (as you say), but I don't really see any other way of getting it out (I've tried many many times at this point). Maybe I just lack the finesse, and it wouldn't be the first time in my life where that's the case haha :)

That being said, it's way better than being too loose and having the blade move around. So the shave is great.
Does that happen with every brand of blade that you've tried?

I'm wondering because I've noticed that some blades bind quite badly on my FOCS while others just slip on and off. The ones that bind either have narrow cutouts, small diamonds, or both. Personally, I find that Gillette Perma-Sharp Super blades work well on my FOCS because they have wide cutouts and large diamonds.

By the way, I also found that performing the blade-loading routine (mentioned by Cal above) in reverse helps to get stubborn blades out. So, after finishing your shave, unscrew the head and lay it back on your towel, pins up. Then, with your fingers lightly holding the tabs, lift up the blade. Don't squeeze the tabs or force it, otherwise the blade will flex and bind on the pins. If it starts to grab and the cap lifts up, then a slight jiggle or even tapping it down on the towel should let the cap drop away. This also works well with stubborn baseplates.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
10-26-20.El Fantasma.New.640.JPG

Used El Fantasma Today.

See My Shave Report For Details.

Nice Razor.​
10-27-20.El Fantasma Razor.RV-Bee.Vitos.640.JPG

Very interesting to compare this with my FOCS.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So I got my new FOCS today, and it has *precisely* the same issue as the previous one---namely, I have to jam the blade on, and it's quite hard to get the blade off. (This issue is even noticeable when assembling the razor without a blade.)

And just like the previous FOCS, when the blade's inserted, it appears to be both perfectly aligned with the comb as well as unjiggleable. It's only putting the blade in and taking it out that's the problem.

So anyway, I made a movie, but it looks like I can't post a movie so I'm posting a gif. And to make the gif small enough I deleted 62.5% of the frames, so it's got a real "old timey movie" feel (and might not be useful?).

I mean, I think at this point I'll just keep using the razor and try not to cut myself? Also, this way you can share if my "putting the blade in the razor" technique needs work.

View attachment 1174096
Watching you take that blade off made me quite nervous for your safety. I don't (yet) have a FOCS, but I have had other razors where it was quite difficult to remove the blade. I find that the use of tweezers (as someone else has suggested) an easy and safe solution.

I have the same issue with the blade on my FOCS but so far that happend only with a Polsiver blade while blades like Astra SP and BIC CP work perfectly. Maybe it's from that particular blade or maybe Polsilvers and some other blade brands don't fit perfectly in the FOCS, who knows?

Watching you take that blade off made me quite nervous for your safety. I don't (yet) have a FOCS, but I have had other razors where it was quite difficult to remove the blade. I find that the use of tweezers (as someone else has suggested) an easy and safe solution.

Heh, now you know why Gillette kept pushing blade dispensers and TTO razors and eventually cartridges. They all help keep fingers away from the ouchie bits. One of these days I have to think about getting an open comb TTO.

Haha, I worry for my own safety as well. I will give tweezers a try!

As for blades, I've only tried Astra SS and Personna Med Prep, but I think I have some old Derbies around here somewhere I could try to throw in... Since the problem manifests even when assembling without a blade, I suspect that the blade brand is not the issue. I'll give it a shot though!

So I got my new FOCS today, and it has *precisely* the same issue as the previous one---namely, I have to jam the blade on, and it's quite hard to get the blade off. (This issue is even noticeable when assembling the razor without a blade.)

And just like the previous FOCS, when the blade's inserted, it appears to be both perfectly aligned with the comb as well as unjiggleable. It's only putting the blade in and taking it out that's the problem.

So anyway, I made a movie, but it looks like I can't post a movie so I'm posting a gif. And to make the gif small enough I deleted 62.5% of the frames, so it's got a real "old timey movie" feel (and might not be useful?).

I mean, I think at this point I'll just keep using the razor and try not to cut myself? Also, this way you can share if my "putting the blade in the razor" technique needs work.

View attachment 1174096
I have the same difficulty putting a New blade in but I really dont care. You need to insert pretty both sides at the same time and gently push on both edges.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
Soap: B&M Cheshire
Aftershave: B&M Cheshire (Splash)
031_40.jpg

It's been a completely anger free week of shaves once again using my Lo Storto. My mood has improved and I have not been subject to the grumpies. I think this photo is drop dead gorgeous (only people in the know will get this).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What are the little round things, Rave?

I'm glad you're feeling better. Continue your medicines and continue to shave with the razor which improves your condition. It can't hurt, right?

Or, maybe the little round brown things are big, fat pills. Big Nurse said they were changing to horse pills for some of us.

I'm so confused.

In other words, as you say, all is well!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
What are the little round things, Rave?

I'm glad you're feeling better. Continue your medicines and continue to shave with the razor which improves your condition. It can't hurt, right?

Or, maybe the little round brown things are big, fat pills. Big Nurse said they were changing to horse pills for some of us.

I'm so confused.

In other words, as you say, all is well!
The big fat pills are indeed medicine. They are Drop or licorice. In this case Double Salt Licorice: Dubbel Zout – An extremely salty liquorice. It is as if the makers of Dutch drop had a bet to see how much salt they could add to the recipe before someone died (and then reduced it only slightly when someone finally did). Thus, my photo is drop dead gorgeous! :biggrin1:

I've been self medicating with DZ's all my life. Please don't tell big nurse, she might not understand. Lets keep it on a need to know basis. None of us want to see happens to someone in the throws of drop withdrawal (especially me).

The Horrors of Dutch Drop (Liquorice) - https://www.invadingholland.com/guides-to-holland/the-horrors-of-dutch-drop-liquorice

Last edited:
Well gents, I decided to do an experiment. I love my FOCS. It had recently taken a back seat while I tried out the Yaqi Top Aggressive head:

View attachment 1173907

The Yaqi head feels about as aggressive as an R41. Muuuuch more efficient. And, paradoxically, I find it pretty gentle.

How did it stack up against the FOCS?

I shaved one half of my face with the FOCS, and one half with the Yaqi. And I honestly could not tell a difference between the two after the shave. Both were buttery smooth.

Only when I woke up this morning was I able to confirm that the Yaqi side had ever the smallest amount of hair less. Maybe. But for 10+ hours I couldn't tell. My wife thought the FOCS side was slightly closer.

So what is the point of this? The FOCS shaves way out of its "comfort league". It feels about as comfortable as a Tech, or an EJ. And yet its efficiency is way on the aggressive end of the spectrum.

Truly a unique razor!

"The Yaqi head feels about as aggressive as an R41. Muuuuch more efficient. And, paradoxically, I find it pretty gentle."

I suppose, it cannot be both...

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
Soap: B&M Cheshire
Aftershave: B&M Cheshire (Splash)
033_40.jpg

Today was a really good shave. The major issue I'm having is wanting to buy Hyaluronic Acid. I really want that stuff. Is it worth crashing and burning my Sabbatical over? Curse you Jim! :laugh:

The big fat pills are indeed medicine. They are Drop or licorice. In this case Double Salt Licorice: Dubbel Zout – An extremely salty liquorice. It is as if the makers of Dutch drop had a bet to see how much salt they could add to the recipe before someone died (and then reduced it only slightly when someone finally did). Thus, my photo is drop dead gorgeous! :biggrin1:

I've been self medicating with DZ's all my life. Please don't tell big nurse, she might not understand. Lets keep it on a need to know basis. None of us want to see happens to someone in the throws of drop withdrawal (especially me).

The Horrors of Dutch Drop (Liquorice) - https://www.invadingholland.com/guides-to-holland/the-horrors-of-dutch-drop-liquorice
Double salt is ok, I won't do triple though, that's horrible!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Double salt is ok, I won't do triple though, that's horrible!
The best part is that they use Ammonium Chloride and not table salt. It gives the licorice a hint of ammonia that is quite enamoring. It's the best salt if salt could salt, salt. I'd say the flavor was indescribable, except it tastes like black licorice, salt, with notes of ammonia. It's totally the best! :001_tt1:

A bit of an Italian theme for today's shave.

PXL_20201029_104419709.jpg

Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blade: Feather HS (3)
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: Vitos extra super coco
Rating: 9.5

The FOCS arrived at pretty much the same time as my Blackbird and didn't really get much of a look in. This was only the third time I've used it and got a dfs result. It felt more aggressive on one side than the other but the blade looked equally aligned to the bar on both sides. The feather was starting to feel a little rough on the third use so next I'll try it with a Gillette Platinum and pay closer attention to blade alignment. I don't think it's as efficient as the Blackbird but I'll have a few more shaves with it to dial it in more.

Top Bottom