What's new

*Fatip Slant*

I am thinking that dark finish would be cool on one as well.

Just shaved with the 🦊 and an Astra SP on its second use. Flawless and smooth! I used a new soap I purchased from Amazon and I really liked the smell. It was only $12.49 and performs great with a very creamy lather in seconds plus it held onto its moisture very well.

A7548E39-2D3E-418E-9C65-6766C6DEF87A.jpeg

BTW, I LOVE that air freshener The Razor Company sent with the Gold 🦊, it smells just like the barber shop when I was a kid.

Just dropped a blade in it, no alignment trouble or movement for that matter. I’m 3 times lucky I guess.

I wonder if alignment problems and movement may be blade related? I have a FaTip slant, a Fatip Grande, and a Schone, and the blade fits tightly in all three with perfect alignment. At first I thought maybe I was just lucky, but then I thought about the fact that for many years now the only blades I've used are Personna blue. They're smooth, sharp, inexpensive, and they fit tightly onto the pins.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I wonder if alignment problems and movement may be blade related? I have a FaTip slant, a Fatip Grande, and a Schone, and the blade fits tightly in all three with perfect alignment. At first I thought maybe I was just lucky, but then I thought about the fact that for many years now the only blades I've used are Personna blue. They're smooth, sharp, inexpensive, and they fit tightly onto the pins.

Well, that's really interesting. No idea if you're onto something, but why not?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Just an update on my little saga.

I described my issue to my vendor, and they said this is the second time they've had the same complaint about the FOCS, and they're going to send my photo (posted earlier in the thread) to the manufacturer. Moreover, they gave me a choice between a refund a replacement (although I'd need to wait a couple of weeks until they have the FOCS back in stock).

I'm leaning towards waiting for the replacement, since I liked shaving with the razor so much!

Also, I thought the vendor's response was great! Can we give shout outs to vendors in the forum?

My replacement FOCS should arrive on Monday! Here's hoping everything is aligned. As for razor blades making a difference, I've only tried two types in mine, (Personna Med Prep and Astra SS), but the same issue persisted for both of them. Of course, that's only two out of the million kinds of blades, haha.

Anyone else used PAA El Fantansma yet.
Got it in the afternoon, used tonight
Head and face shave.
Preshave oil: Art of Shaving Sandalwood
Soap/cream: TOBS Sandalwood
razor: El Fantasma
blade : Gillette King C G 2
The handle is too light and small for headshaving....at least for me. Tried a Karve long handle but it doesn't mate. So RR SS barber pole it was. 2 pass head shave and 3 pass face. Has a bit of blade feel. Shave was smooth and very close. NO irritation nor cuts.
AS Proraso Red
AB Art Of Shaving Sandalwood.

All in all, a good shave. Just had to be more careful than usual: light and new razor.....

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
Soap: B&M Cheshire
Aftershave: B&M Cheshire (Splash)
027_40.jpg

The first shave of the week has been and gone. Barrister and Mann Cheshire is Earl Grey-tastic. That means I love the scent. It preforms really well too. B&M Cheshire Splash is like most artisan splashes. That means it's pretty heavy on the alcohol. It matches the soap's Earl Grey Tea scent perfectly. I'm quite happy, not grumpy, using my Fatip Lo Storto and a Gillette Platinum. It's an incredibly easy and efficient combination.

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Well gents, I decided to do an experiment. I love my FOCS. It had recently taken a back seat while I tried out the Yaqi Top Aggressive head:

1603732677560.png

The Yaqi head feels about as aggressive as an R41. Muuuuch more efficient. And, paradoxically, I find it pretty gentle.

How did it stack up against the FOCS?

I shaved one half of my face with the FOCS, and one half with the Yaqi. And I honestly could not tell a difference between the two after the shave. Both were buttery smooth.

Only when I woke up this morning was I able to confirm that the Yaqi side had ever the smallest amount of hair less. Maybe. But for 10+ hours I couldn't tell. My wife thought the FOCS side was slightly closer.

So what is the point of this? The FOCS shaves way out of its "comfort league". It feels about as comfortable as a Tech, or an EJ. And yet its efficiency is way on the aggressive end of the spectrum.

Truly a unique razor!

Well gents, I decided to do an experiment. I love my FOCS. It had recently taken a back seat while I tried out the Yaqi Top Aggressive head:

View attachment 1173907

The Yaqi head feels about as aggressive as an R41. Muuuuch more efficient. And, paradoxically, I find it pretty gentle.

How did it stack up against the FOCS?

I shaved one half of my face with the FOCS, and one half with the Yaqi. And I honestly could not tell a difference between the two after the shave. Both were buttery smooth.

Only when I woke up this morning was I able to confirm that the Yaqi side had ever the smallest amount of hair less. Maybe. But for 10+ hours I couldn't tell. My wife thought the FOCS side was slightly closer.

So what is the point of this? The FOCS shaves way out of its "comfort league". It feels about as comfortable as a Tech, or an EJ. And yet its efficiency is way on the aggressive end of the spectrum.

Truly a unique razor!
If you were to choose between yaqi and focs, what would you go for?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
If you were to choose between yaqi and focs, what would you go for?
That is a really tough choice. Kinda like asking if you prefer a BMW or a Corvette.

I guess I would say the Yaqi, because it does not have any of Fatip's persistent blade alignment issues.

If Fatip could get their QC up to Yaqi's levels, I guess I would say the FOCS because it's just such a joy to use.

My replacement FOCS should arrive on Monday! Here's hoping everything is aligned. As for razor blades making a difference, I've only tried two types in mine, (Personna Med Prep and Astra SS), but the same issue persisted for both of them. Of course, that's only two out of the million kinds of blades, haha.

So I got my new FOCS today, and it has *precisely* the same issue as the previous one---namely, I have to jam the blade on, and it's quite hard to get the blade off. (This issue is even noticeable when assembling the razor without a blade.)

And just like the previous FOCS, when the blade's inserted, it appears to be both perfectly aligned with the comb as well as unjiggleable. It's only putting the blade in and taking it out that's the problem.

So anyway, I made a movie, but it looks like I can't post a movie so I'm posting a gif. And to make the gif small enough I deleted 62.5% of the frames, so it's got a real "old timey movie" feel (and might not be useful?).

I mean, I think at this point I'll just keep using the razor and try not to cut myself? Also, this way you can share if my "putting the blade in the razor" technique needs work.

fatipverytiny.gif

It's only putting the blade in and taking it out that's the problem.
The standard way to load the blade:
  1. Cap on counter, pins up
  2. Drop blade on (don't press it down)
  3. Drop baseplate on*
  4. Screw handle on (never mind the noises the blade makes, this is normal on many slants)
After several blade loadings as above it "may" become easier to remove the blade.

* The baseplate is the "twist and torque" template for the blade, not your fingers.

Last edited:
So I got my new FOCS today, and it has *precisely* the same issue as the previous one---namely, I have to jam the blade on, and it's quite hard to get the blade off. (This issue is even noticeable when assembling the razor without a blade.)

And just like the previous FOCS, when the blade's inserted, it appears to be both perfectly aligned with the comb as well as unjiggleable. It's only putting the blade in and taking it out that's the problem.

So anyway, I made a movie, but it looks like I can't post a movie so I'm posting a gif. And to make the gif small enough I deleted 62.5% of the frames, so it's got a real "old timey movie" feel (and might not be useful?).

I mean, I think at this point I'll just keep using the razor and try not to cut myself? Also, this way you can share if my "putting the blade in the razor" technique needs work.

View attachment 1174096
When you pull it back off, you are bending the blade, which binds it on the posts. I simulated it with my own razor to be sure.

It is a tight fit and I sort of jiggle it as I remove the blade with very little pressure.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

View attachment 1174096
I have the same experience, but definitely not an issue to me. I'd rather it be this way with a tight tolerance, than with the blade having play to move around and have alignment issues. It just takes a little finesse to remove the blade. My Game Changer is far more difficult to remove the blades from the little stubby posts, but I see it as a feature rather than a problem. Also, different brand blades come off easier than others. With the Game Changer I sometimes have to use my small plastic tweezers to grab the end tab and finesse the blade off, but I have far less trouble with the FOCS or other of my Fatip and Scone razors.

The standard way to load the blade:
  1. Cap on counter, pins up
  2. Drop blade on (don't press it down)
  3. Drop baseplate on*
  4. Screw handle on (never mind the noises the blade makes, this is normal on many slants)
After several blade loadings as above it "may" become easier to remove the blade.

* The baseplate is the "twist and torque" template for the blade, not your fingers.

Yeah, it's the #2 that doesn't work, as the blade just will not go on with out pressing. As for pulling it out, I definitely bend it (as you say), but I don't really see any other way of getting it out (I've tried many many times at this point). Maybe I just lack the finesse, and it wouldn't be the first time in my life where that's the case haha :)

That being said, it's way better than being too loose and having the blade move around. So the shave is great.

Top Bottom