What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Tuesday September 29
Ten minute hot shower
Boker-Hollow something or other. Restored with Buffalo scales. That’s all I know right now.
FIRST STRAIGHT RAZOR-SHAVE
Lo Storto
Feather
Zenith Chubby Scrubby Boar B27 - 28mm x 55mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

Lo Storto’s last Slantember outing was a little quicker on the face. A Boker with Buffalo horn scales on my first straight outing removed the five day growth. About the same resistance in whiskers as the remaining blood from the straight. A small task for Lo Storto to complete the 95% straight shave and ease it into a very comfortable BBS. Without too much strain on a 1st use Feather an excellent ATG Single Pass BBS head shave. Above average post skin comfort. I can hardly wait for my next shave.

My First Straight Shave is posted in my journal. If blood 🩸 upsets you don’t go there.

View attachment 1161952
I have realized that straight razors are not going to be for me. It is similar to me spending a year attempting to learn the banjo....at some point I just had to admit to myself that it isn’t in me.

Good luck in your continuing trials.

I am selling my 13/16 Friodur unused in my sale post but may keep the Henckles and the Wade & Butcher just to display.

As to the 🦊, some have issues with theirs and that is unfortunate because when you have a good one (or 2 🤠) they are fantastic.

I have realized that straight razors are not going to be for me. It is similar to me spending a year attempting to learn the banjo....at some point I just had to admit to myself that it isn’t in me.

Good luck in your continuing trials.

I am selling my 13/16 Friodur unused in my sale post but may keep the Henckles and the Wade & Butcher just to display.

As to the 🦊, some have issues with theirs and that is unfortunate because when you have a good one (or 2 🤠) they are fantastic.
Obviously I know very little about straights says the dude dripping blood. May I enquire why you chose heavy blades?
The FOCS well being an excellent razor is 90% Grande. Grande is my favourite razor. Very slightly less efficient but quicker maneuverability. The blade manipulation in FOCS increases efficiency but loses a little speed. Lo Storto, Grande, & Piccolo my only DE’s.

Obviously I know very little about straights says the dude dripping blood. May I enquire why you chose heavy blades?
The FOCS well being an excellent razor is 90% Grande. Grande is my favourite razor. Very slightly less efficient but quicker maneuverability. The blade manipulation in FOCS increases efficiency but loses a little speed. Lo Storto, Grande, & Piccolo my only DE’s.
I probably know less than you about straights. I had some great help here from @Luecke2326 and bought my Henckles from him. The Friodur just had a great reputation and is a FINE razor, too fine to sit in a drawer.

I’ll keep the Henckles and my W&B (planning to restore it) and I have a good strop. I don’t want to totally give up but I also know I probably will stick with DE razors.

I already have a trade in the works for the Friodur.

I, like you, love Fatip, I wish everyone always got great ones like I did. Look at that blade exposure! Perfect and the other one is perfect too...no fiddling required.

FB3957DE-D618-49D0-B725-9A2022929438.jpeg

I probably know less than you about straights. I had some great help here from @Luecke2326 and bought my Henckles from him. The Friodur just had a great reputation and is a FINE razor, too fine to sit in a drawer.

I’ll keep the Henckles and my W&B (planning to restore it) and I have a good strop. I don’t want to totally give up but I also know I probably will stick with DE razors.

I, like you, love Fatip, I wish everyone always got great ones like I did. Look at that blade exposure! Perfect and the other one is perfect too...no fiddling required.

View attachment 1162354
I have to admit I rather enjoy fiddling with the blade loading it into the Grande. I always hot water rinse most of the wax off the Feather blade. It gets ISO’d remainder of wax removed and blown dry. Oiled edges with pre shave oil. This is also an opportunity to oil the threads on the razor. Polished oiled and loaded. All three razors ready to go. They get put away this way after a shave.
Good luck on your Straight razor trade. Blade exploration may lead you to a different edge.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20200930_143511~2.jpg

Primary Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (5)

Touch-up Razor: Schick Type E
Blade: Schick (4)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Tyrion (Maggard 24mm SHD Knot)
Lather: Speick Stick
Aftershave: Speick
Fragrance: G Eàu Bronze EDT Spray (Belcam Version Of Acqua Di Gio Absolu)

The FOCS Rocks. :punk: 🦊

Outstanding shave! :)

View attachment 1162354
I tried straights 7 years ago, had a few decent shaves and a few bad ones. After a couple weeks, I shelved my straights and went back to my Gillette LC NEW and my injectors. I didn’t try again for 2 more years, but this time I had a lot more experience lathering and stretching my skin. With some patience and cleanup work with my safety razors, I settled into a great routine. Maybe you’ll try again in a couple years?

FOCS on the way......

My FOCS arrived yesterday from Maggard, 48 hours after I placed the order. Kudos for that!

The FOCS debuted for me this morning with an OK blade (5th shave on a Derby Premium) in my usual 3-pass routine with products I’ve been using.

Maybe I’m lucky, but everything lined up fine, and my blade dropped in and out as it should. No binding or other fit issue. Visually, the finish is fine but not Cartier quality.

In use, as you all have been saying, there’s magic in this thing. Someone on the shore of Lake Como took care to get it right. The head passed smoothly over my skin and shaved close with no dragging, chattering, or bites. Size, weight, and balance were perfect in my hand. Some barber pole handles twist but not this one.

I usually need to adjust to a new razor with half dozen or so shaves, but the FOCS felt natural right from the 1st stroke. Shaves may get even better with experience or with better blade matching.

So thanks, everyone, for putting me onto this razor. It performs like a champ, and for the price it’s hard to believe.

My FOCS arrived yesterday from Maggard, 48 hours after I placed the order. Kudos for that!

The FOCS debuted for me this morning with an OK blade (5th shave on a Derby Premium) in my usual 3-pass routine with products I’ve been using.

Maybe I’m lucky, but everything lined up fine, and my blade dropped in and out as it should. No binding or other fit issue. Visually, the finish is fine but not Cartier quality.

In use, as you all have been saying, there’s magic in this thing. Someone on the shore of Lake Como took care to get it right. The head passed smoothly over my skin and shaved close with no dragging, chattering, or bites. Size, weight, and balance were perfect in my hand. Some barber pole handles twist but not this one.

I usually need to adjust to a new razor with half dozen or so shaves, but the FOCS felt natural right from the 1st stroke. Shaves may get even better with experience or with better blade matching.

So thanks, everyone, for putting me onto this razor. It performs like a champ, and for the price it’s hard to believe.
We at 🦊 Fiends Club would like to congratulate you in your discovery of the Italian Magic. Now go to Clubs section and join the cult club of FOCS.

2ED0D7C3-26DB-422D-81BF-1DC3A3CE81C3.gif

A great shave with the FOCS and a new Personna Red blade this a.m.!

A shower, a little La Toja as a pre-shave, then face-lathered, the shave water impregnated with baking soda for softness and slipperiness. After my regulation three minutes, the FOCS and I dived in. It hardly felt like shaving at all on my cheeks; I could have let my face go with only one pass. Pass One, WTG on cheeks, lower lip, and throat; Pass Two, ATG everywhere; Pass Three and cleanup, throat only. Near BBS, a smooth feeling, no irritation.

A great shave with the FOCS and a new Personna Red blade this a.m.!

A shower, a little La Toja as a pre-shave, then face-lathered, the shave water impregnated with baking soda for softness and slipperiness. After my regulation three minutes, the FOCS and I dived in. It hardly felt like shaving at all on my cheeks; I could have let my face go with only one pass. Pass One, WTG on cheeks, lower lip, and throat; Pass Two, ATG everywhere; Pass Three and cleanup, throat only. Near BBS, a smooth feeling, no irritation.
It’s magic....Italian sorcery....🤠

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My FOCS came today...several days earlier than originally scheduled. I loaded a Derby Usta in it and traded the tiny handle it came with for the lengthier one on my Nobile Tuxedo. The alignment looks ok, but I'll know more tomorrow. Not worried about it though...My Karve, Charcoal Goods and Timeless never disappoint and they're backed up by an EJ Chatsworth and a RazoRock Mamba 70. So...will patiently wait for my number to bubble up to the top of the Wolfman list and enjoy every shave.

Will post my results tomorrow.

Top Bottom