What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Well the Schone razor showed up...with a Piccolo handle.

Sending it back. A few other buyers had the same thing happen and suggested it may be people swapping handles and sending them back. I dunno, I may try again.

Well the Schone razor showed up...with a Piccolo handle.

Sending it back. A few other buyers had the same thing happen and suggested it may be people swapping handles and sending them back. I dunno, I may try again.
Of course that''s what people are doing. They want a bigger handle for the Piccolo they already have, so they cheat the Amazon return policy to get it. Bad karma.

Maybe the same razor keeps getting returned over and over again?
😠

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
9-24-20.RV-IBO.Vitos.FOCS.640.JPG

Thursday September 24
Ten minute hot shower
Lo Storto
Feather
Zenith Chubby Scrubby Boar B27 - 28mm x 55mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

Months ago with another razor I thought there was a probability that a single use Feather may well be my routine and set up. I wanted to try out and measure other blades compare a couple of razors to determine it a good choice. My last Lo Storto shave removed any further speculation and doubt for me. There are many excellent blades in my inventory. Feather is my number one. Except for the brush. My kit is set and locked. Tonights shave pure enjoyment. Lo Storto is wielding my sharpest blade. My favourite soft as badger, Zenith Boar Chubby Scrubby brush. Vitos creamy lather. A wonderful BBS+ face and head shave. Lo Storto is exclusively locked on steep angle for me. Cutting strokes are smooth and clean. No hesitation through a five day growth. A couple of clean up strips along the chin line. A few extra touch ups on the back of the head swirls. Very little extra buffing. A superb ATG Single Pass shave. I’m not using shallow strokes anymore. They are not quite as close as steep strokes. No audio feedback with shallow strokes. A detail I prefer with a sharp blade. Lo Storto and Feathers shave performance on all my neck sensitive areas is the best I’ve had. I’m happy.

AF13D160-BD64-408A-8F88-8FAA1C91A2EB.jpeg

Hi everybody, I'm new here and this is my first post. Anyway, what with being locked down and everything I decided to get back into wet shaving a bit. So to up my game I ordered the Fatip open comb slant, and it finally arrived today!

It seems awesome, way heavier than my old Merkur, but I have a quick question. When I unscrew the handle, it takes some force to separate the other two pieces (as if the pillars are not properly aligned with the holes?). And even when I put in a blade, I had to twist the blade a little bit to get it to go over the pillars.

Anyway, everything fit together nice and easy on my old Merkur so I was wondering if something is messed up? Or maybe this seeming misalignment is just a normal thing? Did I get something a razor that is off spec in some way? I don't want to be sad if this is totally normal.

Thanks!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi everybody, I'm new here and this is my first post. Anyway, what with being locked down and everything I decided to get back into wet shaving a bit. So to up my game I ordered the Fatip open comb slant, and it finally arrived today!

It seems awesome, way heavier than my old Merkur, but I have a quick question. When I unscrew the handle, it takes some force to separate the other two pieces (as if the pillars are not properly aligned with the holes?). And even when I put in a blade, I had to twist the blade a little bit to get it to go over the pillars.

Anyway, everything fit together nice and easy on my old Merkur so I was wondering if something is messed up? Or maybe this seeming misalignment is just a normal thing? Did I get something a razor that is off spec in some way? I don't want to be sad if this is totally normal.

Thanks!

Welcome to B&B.

Yes, yours is a little off spec. QC is not the the best of Fatip's attributes as a manufacturer.

My FOCS has no issues at all. I'm not really the guy to help you with the issue. I don't know how to deal with it or assess it, but someone will. Expect advice soon.

Have you shaved with the FOCS? How'd that go?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks!
Congrats on getting a FOCS! :thumbup1:

As Jim said, Fatip occasionally has lapses in build quality. As a result, my FOCS has the same issue as yours. It requires some fiddling to get the baseplate off of the cap because the outer pins are leaning slightly in towards the centre pin. Luckily, they're lined up straight, so the blade goes on easily as long as the cutout isn't too narrow and the diamonds aren't too small. Also, luckily, mine has perfect alignment, despite these issues.

In your case, if you can get the blade on, then you'll be okay as long as the blade edges are aligned with the combs on the baseplate. Don't look at the blade edges as they relate to the cap. Due to the slanted head, it will always look a bit askew.

For a pictorial view of what I mean, check out the photos from @UrbanHound's post. Notice how the blade edges are aligned with the combs, even though they aren't aligned with the cap's edges.

The easiest way to get good alignment is to lay the cap (pins up) on a towel, drop the blade on, place the baseplate, then screw the handle on. Most of us find this method to work best.

Hi again! Thanks for your quick help, I'm impressed :)

Also, looks like I'm going from New Member to Member Who Posts Close-Ups Of His Razor very quickly, does this happen to everybody?

Anyway, here are three photos of my FOCS. Two were for alignment: I was looking for blade alignment with the comb, and it looks pretty good to me? Maybe in "fatip1", the blade starts a bit closer to the end of the comb the left and moves away as it goes right, and the reverse in fatip2 (the other side of the razor). But if it's misaligned it's very minimal.

I couldn't resist shaving with it, and I liked it a lot.

On the other hand, I learned something from the "photo shoot": I tried to remove the blade and it was actually kind of difficult, and I had to apply enough force that the blade flew out. (It was easier to put the blade in than remove it because I could jam it in by pushing, and there was nothing for me push to take it out. I tried "walking" it as suggested in an earlier post, and the blade was so jammed in that there was no walking to be done---this is what photo three is trying to show.) I think the odds of me cutting myself taking blades out are about 100%. So I think I'm going to see if I can get a replacement...
fatip1lined.jpg
fatip2lined.jpg
fatipblade.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
On the other hand, I learned something from the "photo shoot": I tried to remove the blade and it was actually kind of difficult, and I had to apply enough force that the blade flew out. (It was easier to put the blade in than remove it because I could jam it in by pushing, and there was nothing for me push to take it out. I tried "walking" it as suggested in an earlier post, and the blade was so jammed in that there was no walking to be done---this is what photo three is trying to show.) I think the odds of me cutting myself taking blades out are about 100%. So I think I'm going to see if I can get a replacement...

You're not alone. I personally find it very aggravating.

You think correctly, I think. Futzing with it sitting here typing this, the blade binds on both posts and the stud, I think. The tolerances are so tight that I cant lift the blade straight off the cap. The only way I can get the blade off the cap without turning into the frustrated green monster that likes to SMASH is to hold the blade by the tabs and walk it off one end at a time and I can only do that when I hold the cap down with one fingertip on the stud or I'll lift it right off my desk and may do something I shouldnt, perhaps yet, do lol.

maxresdefault.jpg

On my last shave with mine the Polsilver blade I was trying to flip wouldnt even come out. Infuriating. I havent used mine since.

Screenshot_2020-09-04 hulk_agnarok 0 jpg (WEBP Image, 1200 × 800 pixels).png

The Polsilver wouldnt come oooouuuuuutttt!

Finally, I laid a towel on the kitchen counter and started THROWING the cap at it. On the FIFTH throw, I heard the blade rattle and I was able to get the ******* no good piece of **** off so I could load a fresh Feather.

NauticalWeeklyGossamerwingedbutterfly-small.gif

PITA ***/Fresh Feather.
Wickham Shangri La.
Maggard syn.

To keep things on a level field, three passes, one clean up.

A little scrapey, a little harsh. Not a bad shave but the juice sure aint worth the squeeze.

If this Feather blade wont come off like that last Polsilver...

My MMOC is giggling.

Changing and flipping blades should be easy, not a stress inducing challenge. I have meant to have a closer look at mine and maybe relieve it of some plating and possibly Brass to make that problem go away but at this point I cant even be bothered. I dont need to fight with my Grande or my GEM's, so thats what I use. My Grande is very nearly the equal to the slant in efficiency and has it beat in smoothness and comfort by a rather large margin. My Grande with a fresh Feather can even compete with my MMOC. The slant cant even get on the field with either my Bullet Tip or MMOC.

I knew I should have waited for a gold one from a later run. Fatip would have all these little aggravations worked out by then.

Maybe they have. Maybe the gold plating will be thinner and the issue wont come up. I'm in no hurry to pay $50 to answer that question.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I just had a look through my journal thread because I knew I measured the diameter of the stud and the center hole of the same Polsilver blade that got stuck.

It binds on the threads in the stud and gets stuck which doesnt make a lot of sense because the OD of the threads on the stud are .0173" and the ID of the center hole in the blade is .2". That should leave enough wiggle room for the blade to both drop on and come off the cap easily. I even dropped the cap with the blade seated like in the picture above and it still didnt come off.

My thinking is, if the blade can bind when seated, it can also bind as its being seated. If that were to happen, the edge would have an unnatural bend in it which would lead to the scraping feeling.

I think as the handle is tightened and the blade is being seated, the torque applied to the blade from the twist in the cap distorts the blade and it, obviously, binds.

I had planned to use my Dremel and a small grinding wheel to grind down a thread or two from the base of the stud where the blade might bind when fully seated so that cant happen and I might yet, one day. It would be easier to just enlarge the diameter of the center hole in a blade. Maybe I'll try that, one day sooner.

Easier yet is using my Grande/MMOC/Bullet Tip. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom