What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I fail to comprehend why even the most die hard fans of these razors can't just admit quality is hit and miss and has been for years.

I don't hear anyone saying there aren't QC issues which sometimes surface.

The problem is people act as if having to align the blade, or having some tolerance in the blade posts, is a defect, when this is normal for a vintage style 3-piece razor.

If the top cap was warped, or the blade posts were off-center, that would be an actual defect. In that case, the razor should be returned for another one.

I can only speak to the one chrome Fatip Grande I bought. So, a sample size of one. There are a few tiny flaws in the surface finish but the blade alignment is fine. The quality is good for a $20 all-brass razor, what do you expect? $20 is dirt-cheap. Its performance is excellent for the money.

Merry New Year,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Two people can look at the same set of circumstances and have completely different reactions.

In my opinion, different folks have different points at which some quirk ceases to be "character" and becomes a pain in the ***.

I believe that is where we are with FaTip razors and their "quirks".

YMMV :)

The problem is people act as if having to align the blade, or having some tolerance in the blade posts, is a defect, when this is normal for a vintage style 3-piece razor.

If the top cap was warped, or the blade posts were off-center, that would be an actual defect. In that case, the razor should be returned for another one.

I can only speak to the one chrome Fatip Grande I bought. So, a sample size of one. There are a few tiny flaws in the surface finish but the blade alignment is fine. The quality is good for a $20 all-brass razor, what do you expect? $20 is dirt-cheap. Its performance is excellent for the money.

The problems I have had with two Fatips in the past were not normal for 'a vintage style razor'. I have had many vintage razors and a few modern made razors and none were as badly made as the Fatips. $40 for two unusable razors is not excellent performance for the money. I bought them despite the many bad reviews going around at the time. I ignored those bad reviews and took a punt. I lost. Twice. The quality of manufacturing is hit and miss and always will be as long as people keep buying them.

Here's the bottom line for anyone thinking of buying one. You might get a decent one you might get a bad one. Hit and miss. That's it. If you get a bad one and want to support a Company that doesn't give a **** about you, buy another few and mix and match parts, until you have a competent razor. Fatip will thank you.

Reactions: nav
The problems I have had with two Fatips in the past were not normal for 'a vintage style razor'. I have had many vintage razors and a few modern made razors and none were as badly made as the Fatips. $40 for two unusable razors is not excellent performance for the money. I bought them despite the many bad reviews going around at the time. I ignored those bad reviews and took a punt. I lost. Twice. The quality of manufacturing is hit and miss and always will be as long as people keep buying them.

Here's the bottom line for anyone thinking of buying one. You might get a decent one you might get a bad one. Hit and miss. That's it. If you get a bad one and want to support a Company that doesn't give a **** about you, buy another few and mix and match parts, until you have a competent razor. Fatip will thank you.
If the blade cannot be properly aligned, that's a defect. I thought that was clear enough.

Sorry you had bad experience with FaTips, but it you got a bad one it would be reasonable to return it for a good one.

FaTip has many satisfied customers, unfortunately you are not one of them.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Today I had a beautiful shave with my Plisson Joris Odyssey. :)

20200101_144718~2.jpg

Beautiful results and a joy getting there! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How do you like the Sharp Star blades? I was tempted but already have more blades than I need for now.
Love the Silver Star blades. They and the FaTips really complement each other.

I was able to use a nice steep angle with enough leeway to accommodate the areas around my chin and neck.

Really wonderful shave. :)

This is the best way to load the blade in most any vintage style 3-piece razor. It is a non-issue that gets treated as a big problem because the internet is an enormous echo chamber.
Respectfully: different things are different
Issues for different people..
For instance for me it's not an issue, in
Fact if they fixed that alignment pin I'd be
Disappointed and would consider it as a
"Fatip light" or better still "the new almost
A Fatip".. But then again I was in love with
The 1970 Lincoln continental Mk-3 and
We all know it was impossible to avoid
The Mechanic for 2 months in a row.

I hope Fatip does well with this razor. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. No hurry to buy here, but it's on my wishlist for later.

Top Bottom