What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thank You so Much for the alignment tip@Raven Koenes ... I had no clue... so I have been aligning it wrong. I will align it properly to the baseplate and not the cap. Another example why this community is so Great! Thank You Sir!
Your welcome. I had to check because you said it took three times before you were able to get it right. You should now be able to load it and go. The best way I've found is to place a towel on the counter top. Place the cap on the towel pegs up. Drop the blade in place. Place baseplate and tighten handle down. You can press baseplate down for blade stability as you screw the handle down. You are really going to be in for a treat now! :thumbsup:

After hearing all the nice things here about the Fatip slant, I ordered the open comb from topofthechain.ca (I'm Canadian) on July 1. The razor arrived on July 6. I've now had 3 shaves with the FOCS.

The Equipment: I paired the FOCS with a broken-in Gillette Silver Blue blade. The first two shaves I used Rockwell shave cream (barbershop scent), the third, Prorasso Green (menthol). The brushes: I alternated between two Omega boars (a 10049 and a smaller one that may be a 10065).

First impressions: The finish looks good and I've noticed no flaws. Then again, I haven't examined the razor under magnification. It has a nice weight -- I don't care for featherweight razors. The blade fits very snugly and needs a bit of encouragement when put in or taken out. I think it's only one post that's causing this snugness. Good blade alignment.

The shave: There's definitely blade feel, but really just enough to know that you're shaving with a blade. Overall, excellent shaves -- DFS (I don't go for BBS; my skin is too sensitive). The first shave left a touch of razor burn, but nothing that some Nivea shave balm couldn't handle. By the third shave, I had the razor "dialed in" -- no razor burn, just 100% DFS. The Gillette Silver Blue worked well for me in the FOCS (my go-to blades are the GSP, Shark Super Stainless, and Gillette 7 O'clock (the ones in the green package from Russia)).

Compared to other razors: Razors that, to me, feel more "aggressive" (meaning, I better pay close attention to what I'm doing) include the Razorock German Slant, Col. Conk Major, and Gillette New Improved. The aggressiveness of the FOCS is probably most similar to my Gillette NEW, and maybe my 7 O'clock open comb. Less aggressive razors in my modest collection: Edwin Jagger DE89, Gillette Slim/Fat Boy/Black Beauty on 4 (or lower), Gillette Superspeed.

Final thoughs: The Fatip Open Comb Slant is an excellent razor, regardless of price. Given it's price, it's an absolute bargain.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Your welcome. I had to check because you said it took three times before you were able to get it right. You should now be able to load it and go. The best way I've found is to place a towel on the counter top. Place the cap on the towel pegs up. Drop the blade in place. Place baseplate and tighten handle down. You can press baseplate down for blade stability as you screw the handle down. You are really going to be in for a treat now! :thumbsup:

7-8-20.Mistura.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

That's is exactly how I do it, too. The alignment is correct every single time. I flip my blade every day, and bought one of the first ones sold, so I have a pretty good number of shaves with the Fatip OC Slant which is my daily razor.

The photo shows (maybe you can see it) how the blade reveal is greater (relative to the cap) at the top of the razor (top in the photo).

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200708
20200708_162358~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Brush: OMEGA Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Post Shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Fatip Lo Storto Originale delivers another outstanding performance!

Excellent shave! :)

So far, I've tried Bolzano and Silver Star blades in my Lo Storto Originale.

Planning to try a Wizamet Super Iridium next. Possibly a Kai or a Personna Israeli Platinum Red.
Thank You for the recommendations @never-stop-learning ... I will try a Wizamet next I think! I never tried a Bolzano or Silver Star blade before.

So far I only tried PolSilvers Si with the FOCS. I’m also thinking of pairing the FOCS with a Nacet as well.

Last edited:
After hearing all the nice things here about the Fatip slant, I ordered the open comb from topofthechain.ca (I'm Canadian) on July 1.
Doh! I never thought of checking Top of the Chain for my Storto. The price was cheaper than Connaught because I would have gotten free shipping if I threw in a soap.

Wait wait - 10 days? I was expecting at least a month, and I'm on the right side of the country. Thanks for the good news.
Judging by what it said on the website, I was also expecting about a month since I'm on the West Coast. But 10 days was pretty darn quick!

I can't even get mail from the East Coast of North America that fast. As mentioned earlier, a Maggard package took 21 days and an envelope of blades sent by @Grundi for the Classic vs Modern Wilkinson Challenge PIF took 49 days to go from Maine to B.C.! :confused1

Even a package from Italian Barber sent via UPS Ground took 11 days to get here.

None of mine broke and it was never a shedder either but I did change to a synthetic and have only used it once in the last year.
My Omega 10005 is a great brush now, but it was temperamental for the first couple years of its life. The tip breakage was definitely a surprise. That sort of thing is what finally got me to mostly switch over to synthetics.

I've often read that boars can take all sorts of abuse, and maybe there's a bit of truth to that when they are wet. The tips are fragile when they are dry though. The more they split the more fragile they become.
I suspect that my 10005 might have been a victim of over-use. Before I fully grasped that brushes should be allowed to dry between uses, I left it bristles-down in a cup like my Dad used to do. I did that for years, never letting the brush fully dry.

Now, I wonder if the constant wetness caused the bristles to rot or some such.

Third shave with the FOCS paired with a new Permasharp, Omega jade boar, and a soap of Valobra, Palmolve, La Toja, and MWF off cuts. After a couple of days feeling out the razor I loaded my favourite blade then did a 1 pass and touch ups and got my best shave yet using it. Very smooth, efficient, and won't bite. If I had to only use one razor for the rest of my life this would be it, as easy on the skin as a Tech but cuts like a Merkur 37c. Shaving perfection. Will order a spare next week. I'd love a stainless steel version.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Third shave with the FOCS paired with a new Permasharp, Omega jade boar, and a soap of Valobra, Palmolve, La Toja, and MWF off cuts. After a couple of days feeling out the razor I loaded my favourite blade then did a 1 pass and touch ups and got my best shave yet using it. Very smooth, efficient, and won't bite. If I had to only use one razor for the rest of my life this would be it, as easy on the skin as a Tech but cuts like a Merkur 37c. Shaving perfection. Will order a spare next week. I'd love a stainless steel version.

What would the advantage of SS be as you see it?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I just received a Yaqi top aggressive slant and a Yaqi mellon head/cap in the mail yesterday from Ali Express ($15 shipped for both). I also have the FOCS on it's way from Maggards. I shaved with the Yaqi slant this AM and was surprised how well it worked. My main razors are the muhle 2013 R41 and the Muhle R96 Rocca V4. The Yaqi worked better than both. :eek6:

I wonder how it will work compared the the FOCS? Has anybody tried both?

I'll never get rid of my R41, but I have a feeling that my Rocca is going to end up in the for sale section.

I find it hard to believe that a $4.50 razor works better than the $100 Rocca R96

Doh! I never thought of checking Top of the Chain for my Storto. The price was cheaper than Connaught because I would have gotten free shipping if I threw in a soap.

On the other hand, you almost certainly saved on taxes ordering from the U.K. Probably not much difference in the final cost.

It's fairly recently that the Fatip Slant was listed on the Top of the Chain Website. I was happy that I didn't have to worry about international shipping, and I supported a Canadian retailer. (In fact, Top of the Chain is located in my childhood hometown.)

If it makes you feel better, I also ordered from Connaught to Canada. Top of the chain was and is out of stock. Conversion rate and exclusion of VAT compared to Cdn prices plus taxes and free shipping is almost the same.

I just received a Yaqi top aggressive slant and a Yaqi mellon head/cap in the mail yesterday from Ali Express ($15 shipped for both). I also have the FOCS on it's way from Maggards. I shaved with the Yaqi slant this AM and was surprised how well it worked. My main razors are the muhle 2013 R41 and the Muhle R96 Rocca V4. The Yaqi worked better than both. :eek6:

I wonder how it will work compared the the FOCS? Has anybody tried both?

I'll never get rid of my R41, but I have a feeling that my Rocca is going to end up in the for sale section.

I find it hard to believe that a $4.50 razor works better than the $100 Rocca R96
I have the Yaqi Mellon. As you noted, it's a great performer. The concept (based on the Grand Shave King Self-Lubricating Razor) is a triumph of design.

However, I get better shaves with the FOCS, overall. Frankly, I can shave closer and quicker with the FOCS than with most of my other razors due to its superb balance between mildness and efficiency.

Still, as you said, it's hard to beat a $4.50 razor, especially if it works so well!

Shave number 4 using the Storto chrome original, Permasharp Super (2), Palmolive, Valobra, La Toja, and MWF soap mix. Lathered with a small Muhle silvertip fibre (v2). I've used a D/E daily for 11 years, for the last 8 or 9 my main razor has been an Ikon open comb deluxe bottom plate combined with an ASD1 top cap, an Ikon Tuckaway handle, and Permasharp Russian blades. The FOCS out performs it in every way, faster, smoother, with no nicks or irritation. All for a fraction of the price. Fatip have made a beautiful brass classic, and the best razor I've ever used. Thank you to all in this thread for turning me onto it.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel better, I also ordered from Connaught to Canada. Top of the chain was and is out of stock. Conversion rate and exclusion of VAT compared to Cdn prices plus taxes and free shipping is almost the same.
On the other hand, you almost certainly saved on taxes ordering from the U.K. Probably not much difference in the final cost.
I'm not really complaining or upset. Sure, I would have liked to support a local business, but if I had, I wouldn't have an Omega 10104 and a couple of LEA sticks coming too ;-)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200710
20200710_111343~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (3)
Brush: Omega EVO
Soap: PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu
Post Shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Musk

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Razor, Blade, Brush and Soap - all Italian. 🇮🇹

The Fatip Lo Storto Originale consistently delivers outstanding results! 👍

The Omega EVO remains in my 'Top Tier' of brushes. 👍

Second shave with the PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu. Great lather! The Nuàvia Blu absolutely rocks! 👍

Excellent shave! :)

Top Bottom