What's new

*Fatip Slant*

It would be worth buying a Grande so you could put its handle on the Mk1.

My Mk2 Piccolo is much better with a handle borrowed from a Grande. The Piccolo handle is too skinny.

Of course that's just how they feel and operate for me. Others may have the opposite experience, but, of course, my experience is the only one that matters (for me).
In this case, we agree. I prefer the lighter hollow handle of the Grande, because I also think the Piccolo handle is too skinny. Plus I don't like handle heavy razors.

I already have a first gen Schone that has the classic Grande handle. I don't think I'd like the new shiny Schone handle.

In this case, we agree. I prefer the lighter hollow handle of the Grande, because I also think the Piccolo handle is too skinny. Plus I don't like handle heavy razors.

I already have a first gen Schone that has the classic Grande handle. I don't think I'd like the new shiny Schone handle.
I have 3 Fatip handles and 2 schone. Anyway I recently found a link to groom.....um here and they had 40% sale...got more.... :eek2:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1046392

Starting from the left with the razors outside the Timeless Blue:

Grande Mk1 "Defective" - Gunmetal color
Grande Mk1 - Gold
Piccolo SE Mk2 - Gunmetal and Gold
Grande Mk2 - Gold
Grande Mk2 - Nickel

In the Timeless Blue, starting from the left:

Plisson Joris Odyssey, Palladium and Yew Wood Handle (appears to be a Mk1)
Open Comb - Mk2 - Zembrano Wood Handle
Testina Gentile CC - Mk2 - Noce Wood Handle
Open Comb - Mk2 - Ulivo Wood Handle

Currently in route:

Plisson Joris Open Comb - Thujawood and Palladium
Schöne Nickel

As an Italian, it is my duty to help the Italian economy. :)

Arrived today:

Plisson Joris Open Comb - Thujawood and Palladium

20191226_121348~2.jpg

Really beautiful razor.

Appears to be a Mk2.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Here's the first peak at the Fatip Slant. It will come in both Solid Bar Gentile and Traditional Open Comb. The handle is the Grade style with a twist (quite literally). They will be fully unveiled on New Years Eve. Here's a peak.
80489782_2523055887932885_4404626907807612928_o.jpg
80797891_2523055897932884_2497589930063036416_o-1.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I like they made a new style handle :thumbup1:
Yeah, me too. I also like that it's the column handle with a twist. It pays homage to tradition while being new. It's appropriate. The fact that it comes in the Gentile and OC exceeds my wildest dreams. It's everything I'd hoped for. :thumbup1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yeah, me too. I also like that it's the column handle with a twist. It pays homage to tradition while being new. It's appropriate. The fact that it comes in the Gentile and OC exceeds my wildest dreams. It's everything I'd hoped for. :thumbup1:

How cool is that, Rave...One of each, right?

Told you it was in transit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The 1M?; who will sell them... amazon, M aggards.....
I assume after they unveil it on New Years Eve it will be released in Italy first to their normal vendors. Typically you can't order from them as they don't ship outside the EU. Then the one Italian vendor that will, will get some. Then, at about the same time, Connaught in the U.K. will have stock, and perhaps Gifts and Care in Portugal. Both of them ship overseas and are well respected. A year ago I talked to Joe at Italian Barber. He said they will most definitely carry the Fatip Slant. Smallflower will also as they, and Italian Barber, are official Fatip vendors. Then everyone else. This will be huge. Over all I believe it will be a month before we can get them.

Watching; I'll be more interested if they have fixed their blade alignment issues. My understanding is that the 2 posts that hold the blade are slightly narrower at the base for their non-slant razors, which leads to enough blade play that you have to be careful as to how you assemble the razor (example: cap on towel, add blade, add baseplate, then screw the whole thing together upside down). I do like their handles. I also wonder how aggressive these will be, as I like milder razors.

Watching; I'll be more interested if they have fixed their blade alignment issues. My understanding is that the 2 posts that hold the blade are slightly narrower at the base for their non-slant razors, which leads to enough blade play that you have to be careful as to how you assemble the razor (example: cap on towel, add blade, add baseplate, then screw the whole thing together upside down). I do like their handles. I also wonder how aggressive these will be, as I like milder razors.
This is the best way to load the blade in most any vintage style 3-piece razor. It is a non-issue that gets treated as a big problem because the internet is an enormous echo chamber.

Last edited:
It is a non-issue that gets treated as a big problem because the internet is an enormous echo chamber.
I prefer the terms "hive mind", "lemmings" or "parrots". I never heard "echo chamber" in this context, but I like it and will add it to my repertoire. Thanks.

It is a non-issue that gets treated as a big problem because the internet is an enormous echo chamber.

It’s a legitimate issue with QC that may or may not affect you.

I have three Fatip razors. One of the caps (from my Gentile) is a nightmare to align... it has an unreasonable amount of wiggle-room against both the blade and the Gentile bottom plate, and the pins are actually not straight in alignment.

As I tighten it, the blade, the cap and the bottom plate almost always shift against each other, meaning the blade is not straight against the safety bar. I actually need to fight against the razor to get it anywhere near aligned. Move the blade against the safety bar and the cap moves. Move the cap and the blade shifts.

So I don’t use that top-cap. It’s been thrown in the bottom of the drawer. The other two (from my Piccolo and Grande) work fine with either style of base plate, aligning like any other three-piece.

However, the Piccolo top-cap had serious blemishes out of the box. Its nickel plating is patchy.

And the Gentile’s handle had sharp bits jutting out of the plating that would need to be abraded off. Since I had the same style handle from the Grande, I just use that and threw the Gentile’s handle in the drawer with the top-cap.

Between the three razors, I have one top-cap that is both unblemished and straight, and one handle of each type that is usable.

Unless I was just unlucky enough to get two imperfect units out of three bought, the QC concerns seem legitimate.

If anything, the echo chamber here tends to skew towards never accepting legitimate criticism of Fatip’s QC.

I’d still recommend the Grande or Piccolo as a great bargain. But I’d also happily pay an extra $10 per razor to have someone actually take a glance at them before they ship out. At their price, returns aren’t worth the hassle, so a bad unit just becomes parts.

Top Bottom