Blade: PermaSharp #3
Fatip Slant OC
Holy Caw donky milk
RR 400 synthetic
Thayers medicated
Aqua Velva Sport
AB: Cantu

Head shave, this was an excellet shave 9/10

Received my open comb slant from Maggards today. As a reminder, I didn’t care for the closed comb and almost didn’t want to try this one but oh my goodness. Shaved two days growth and got a DFS in one pass. This thing is smooth and efficient. I know it’s only one shave but I think those that have been saying this is the best DE razor ever just may be right.
image.jpg

How does this compare to a Muhle R41 in terms of efficency/aggressiveness?

From my B&B reading on the R41 and having measured my own R41’s cap size, I don’t think generalizations can be made about the R41. My R41 is unusably aggressive, by me with its cap. It is tamed by using other caps. The Yaqi comb-cap slant is my only over aggressive slant.

The Lo Storto Originale is on a par in aggression and efficiency with the Wunderbar, less so than the PAA Bakelite OC slant. Comparing to OCs, I would compare it to the Karve OC-D plate, a little more aggressive than my Game Changer .84 OC.

From my B&B reading on the R41 and having measured my own R41’s cap size, I don’t think generalizations can be made about the R41. My R41 is unusably aggressive, by me with its cap. It is tamed by using other caps. The Yaqi comb-cap slant is my only over aggressive slant.

The Lo Storto Originale is on a par in aggression and efficiency with the Wunderbar, less so than the PAA Bakelite OC slant. Comparing to OCs, I would compare it to the Karve OC-D plate, a little more aggressive than my Game Changer .84 OC.

Thanks. I'm looking for something a step up from my DE89? Is this a good step or will I be wanting something more aggressive after a bit?

Thanks. I'm looking for something a step up from my DE89? Is this a good step or will I be wanting something more aggressive after a bit?

I would call this a good step. I often recommend when first changing razors to use the new head with your old handle, but Fatip uses a different post/thread than the vast majority of modern 3 piece razors. In this case don’t swap handles!

The Lo Storto Originale (OC, what I have) and Gentile are both still in stock at Maggard. I use my Lo Storto with the handle from a Fatip Piccolo, just because I’m used to smaller handles.

If it’s being compared to the Wunderbar, I don’t think there’s any further left to go aggression wise.

I guess I’m in a minority not finding the Wunderbar particularly aggressive. :001_rolle My R41 is off the chart, my PBOCS is a wild (but controllable) ride and I have some obscure vintage razors that just want to bite, so I’ve seen some aggression. I wouldn’t put a Kai in the Wunderbar, but with normal blades it generally just shaves me closely with no drama.

Choosing the Lo Storto Gentile rather than the Originale would probably be a shorter step up.

I just received my Lo Storto. The fit is nice and tight. Feels light to me but whatever. Now I gatta learn how to shave again I guess. lol I’ll try it out tomorrow. 👍

I guess I’m in a minority not finding the Wunderbar particularly aggressive. :001_rolle My R41 is off the chart, my PBOCS is a wild (but controllable) ride and I have some obscure vintage razors that just want to bite, so I’ve seen some aggression. I wouldn’t put a Kai in the Wunderbar, but with normal blades it generally just shaves me closely with no drama.

Choosing the Lo Storto Gentile rather than the Originale would probably be a shorter step up.

I would say you’re in the minority from all of the reviews I’ve read. That’s what took it right off of my RADar.

I have the Gentile ordered. I wonder where it will fit in between my 37c, Maggard Slants and Parker semi slant.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA

How does this compare to a Muhle R41 in terms of efficency/aggressiveness?
Muhle has more blade feel, it will cut you if you make a mistake, and is more efficient and in this case aggressive (this is how I feel it against my scalp and face). Get both and try em. R41 was $40 on ...zon today or get both from Maggards.
They are different tools. It's like comparing a sedan vs a sports car, even if both have the same HP, they are not the same.
I will bet, if you get both, you still will get a few others......:velva2::straight:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I would call this a good step. I often recommend when first changing razors to use the new head with your old handle, but Fatip uses a different post/thread than the vast majority of modern 3 piece razors. In this case don’t swap handles!

The Lo Storto Originale (OC, what I have) and Gentile are both still in stock at Maggard. I use my Lo Storto with the handle from a Fatip Piccolo, just because I’m used to smaller handles.

I would say you’re in the minority from all of the reviews I’ve read. That’s what took it right off of my RADar.

I have the Gentile ordered. I wonder where it will fit in between my 37c, Maggard Slants and Parker semi slant.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA

In my opinion, the Wunderbar is definitely more aggressive than the Fatip Lo Storto Originale.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hard to argue. Seems like everybody but me agrees with that relative rating. Even as a convinced Wunderbar fanboy, I can see that denying its wild reputation is destroying my credibility. :surrender:

No worries. Aggression is certainly perceived differently by different people and can be a YMMV situation.

Muhle has more blade feel, it will cut you if you make a mistake, and is more efficient and in this case aggressive (this is how I feel it against my scalp and face). Get both and try em. R41 was $40 on ...zon today or get both from Maggards.
They are different tools. It's like comparing a sedan vs a sports car, even if both have the same HP, they are not the same.
I will bet, if you get both, you still will get a few others......:velva2::straight:

I totally agree with the comparison sedan vs sport car.

Fatip OC is less aggressive and less effecient than R41.
Fatip OC is more aggressive than a German 37 slant or Merkur 37 slant, but I would say same level of efficiency. Merkur 37 vs German 37 has a different (better) feeling.

In case you want to compare same... cars you must compare R41 with iKon Tech. iKon tech is much more (not just more) aggressive and efficient than R41.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How does this compare to a Muhle R41 in terms of efficiency/aggressiveness?
Is this a good step or will I be wanting something more aggressive after a while

To me, aggressive razors are prone to jumping up out of nowhere and biting me. The R41, as much as I like it, is aggressive. The Fatip Open Comb Slant is not aggressive at all.

The Fatip OC Slant is very efficient, and also very smooth shaving, and very comfortable to shave with. Other than ATG on my lips and chin there's no blade feel (steep shaving). It's a truly excellent DE razor.

I can't imagine wanting an "aggressive" razor as defined by me. If you're looking for efficiency and comfort I think the FOCS is efficient indeed.

Top Bottom